Final Build Questions.... Feedback Wanted...

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hey guys,

Thanks to all the feedback I received here, I have finally decided on the parts I'm getting, I will be using this rig for video editing, multitasking, and gaming down the road.

I am ready to buy now, my original budget was $1500, but I'm ok with going a bit over, so long as I don't exceed $2k!

The i7-930 will be overclocked to 3.8 - 4.0 GHZ to maintain stable temps.

The build has been purchased!

CPU + MOBO
- i7 930 + ASUS P6X58D-E

RAM - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 1600c7

SSD Boot Drive - 120 GB SSD OCZ Vertex Series - Boot Drive

HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1 TB

GPU - ZOTAC GeForce GTS 250

PSU - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX ( If I upgrade - I'll need 750w to future proof SLI )

HS - NH-D14 Cooler + 2 x 140mm Noctua NF-P14 Exhaust fans + 120mm rear fan

Burner - Samsung DVD Burner

Case - 690 II Advanced case

Any further feedback for the GPU would be appreciated.

GTX 470 vs 5870

The 470 runs very hot it seems - and in Dual SLI would be insane temps.

banthracis

Distinguished
1. The thermal take line you wanna use is the toughpower line. Those are made by Channel Wells, same guys who make the corsair 750tx and 850tx. Don't think that one is.

2. Really no need for 12gb of RAM. Get the PI kit instead.

3. Mobo you should be getting
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

4. Scythe or a CM Hyper 212 Plus would both be fine.

5. Assume you're getting the GTS 250 for CUDA?

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks for the quick feedback.

The GPU I'm getting is for OpenGL 3.2, as I am primarily video editing. The 5870 doesn't have OpenGL 3.2

I will be gaming lightly if ANY right now, down the road I will upgrade the GPU accordingly.

I will be using Photoshop and Premiere PRO a LOT, along with video rendering of course, and thus this is the GPU Alvin recommended. Plus I'm a crazy multi-tasker and have a ton of things open at any given time, and thus the need for extra ram.

My plan was to get 6 gb ram now, and 6gb later, so it was recommended to get 12GB right off the bat.

Here's a link to my original thread, this may give you a better idea of where I'm at.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/287639-31-video-editing-build-intel

My 2nd choice for the MOBO was the UD3R or UD5, but there are many reported issues with it, plus I found quite a few people who upgraded to other MOBO's after using the UD3R, the hissing sound around the CPU is not something I want to deal with.

3rd choice was the ASUS P6X58D-E or ASUS P6X58D

Plus, the upgradeability options are very limited on all those other boards.

I don't mind paying the extra $90 for the MSI board, I love that board for many reasons, and will give me the best future proofing options down the road.

My 2nd choice of RAM is:
G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

I feel the RAM and PSU are my last deciding factors at this point. I'm just not sure how good the Thermaltake is, I do like that it's modular, but all cables will be going behind the case anyhow.

Thanks again.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
ahh nice - I too wonder if 3.2 is supported, I'm sure it would be

tbh - I am staying away from the high end GPU's for now on purpose, 'cuz I would be too tempted to play games, and currently, I am in work mode, and don't want to get sidetraked gaming ;)

I have an xbox 360 anyway, and I am up to date on most new releases that I like.

This is one of the reasons I'm going with the MSI board, I'll likely build another computer down the road in 1 - 2 years, with up to date components, and this build will turn into my gaming rig. I will have many GPU options in what ever configuration I choose, I like having those open possibilities, where as the other boards are some what limited, plus it is a very solidly built board and will last longer than the others, as it has much improved cooling, military grade parts, etc etc

The UD3R has way too much negative feedback from real world users returning it and upgrading to other boards such as the MSI. The hissing sound around the CPU, 30 second posts before booting into windows, among other things... To some, it's not a big deal, to me, I'd rather have the peace of mind from the get go.

But then again, I'd like to hear from UD3R satisfied users.... any of you out there?

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hey guys,

Something just came up and would like immediate feedback if possible...

I just found a way to shave off $400 from the build above if I order from newegg.com, instead of .ca, while taking advantage of a Shell Shocker Deal.

ASUS P6X58D-E + OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 - ( 8 - 8 - 8 - 24 )
Combo price = $329.98 ( $100 Savings + $15 rebate )

This would replace the MSI Big Bang + the 12 GB of Eco Ram.

Plus, I'd be getting the CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX Modular at a $25 discount, PLUS, the i7-930 an additional $25 discount for the combo deal.

Total on .com = $1,123.85 + $215 for SSD x25m ( currently out of stock )

$1338 + say $50 shipping to Canada though it won't be that high.

Ordering the exact same parts from newegg.ca comes to $1,469.02

But would include this --> CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX Non Modular

i7-930 regular price

The newegg.com deal is $120 cheaper + has the MODULAR PSU 850HX

This is the only combo I could find to go with the i7-930

If I were to take advantage of this, I only have about 6 hours to decide, since the Asus deal expires at 12 p.m. Eastern Time

The RAM is sketchy - worst comes to worse I could sell it and pick up different RAM.

-----------

IF you read this in time - what are your thoughts - should I go for it?

This would shave off about $427 from the build above.

Of course I'd be giving up my MSI + 12 GB Ram

Yes, I have a U.S. P.O. box to ship to, and will make arrangments to ship here.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks Al, I've gone ahead and changed it.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the build, and for now, after a TON of feedback not only here, but from calling stores, I'm going to pass up on the MSI board, and get something under the $250 range for the mobo - which leaves me 3 options. The AS Rock x58, the GA-X58A-UD3R & ASUS P6X58D-E

The GA-X58A-UD3R has a 10% special - $189 after discounts - I know the issues with it, and hopefully I can get them resolved.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423&Tpk=ud3r

I'm also going with the Scythe cooler.

----

Last but not least, I'm going to stick with 6 GB RAM for now...

I found this ram with 7-7-7-20 timings @ 1333 MHZ - $175.49
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226116

or would this be a better performer?

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB DDR3 1600 - 7-8-7-20
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226030

I was also looking at:

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 1600c7
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145286

I'm making these last minute changes so I can stick within the $1500 budget.

Any thoughts?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
I already explained this in a PM (to you) just now ... but ... for the benefit of others ...

ALVIN STRONGLY RECOMMENDS (MOST STRONGLY) AGAINST PURCHASE OF OPEN BOX MOBOS ... Guaranteed headaches ... I'd bet **YOUR** MONEY on it !!!

= Al =

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
There's nothing in this thread that mentions open box MOBO's - I'm not really sure what you're talking about. LOL

( I've already edited my previous post to exclude the open box MOBO option ;) )

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks Al,

I have some VERY final feedback / advice needed.

Thanks for that feedback once again.

From what I found so far, for the best airflow with my CM 690 II case, I guess, the ideal set up is 2 exhaust fans up top, 1 exhaust in the back, 1 intake in the bottom - possibly 2 x 120 mm in the front ( from what I heard that front fan now doesn't do a very good in take )

So it turns into something like this:

I just don't know which fans to get, looking for fans that push a lot of air, and are relatively quiet.

Is there a fan controller you can recommend as well?

I need to purchase today to take advantage of the rebates, and quite frankly, I'm ready to buy now, once I get the fans figured out.

Btw - here's the final build - I ended up going with the NH-D14, purchased from NCIX.com

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks Al,

I will do just that - also - in the "what's in the box" pic, I noticed this board doesn't have the eSata PCI adapter like the Premium does.

About the cable, is this what you had in mind?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123158

In regards to fans, I'd love something with performance like this one:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103062

without the green led.

RPM 2000 RPM
Air Flow 90 CFM
Noise Level 19 dBA

Though, most reviewers claim it's louder than the 19dBA specified.

Have also found this one:
COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm Case Fan

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103061

RPM 2000 RPM
Air Flow 69 CFM
Noise Level 19 dBA

I don't care ( that much ) about the fans' cost - I'd like to have fans that push a lot of air, as quietly as possible. I had 2 x 140 MM Noctua fans in my cart at one point - but I'm sure I can get a much better bang for my $50. I'm sure the right balance is out there.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Cable? .... Yup ... slimness should not be critical as your GPU is not very long.

Noctuas are nice (sexy) but much better options, at half the cost ... true.

WoW ! That's a lot of CFM for 19dB ! Would not surprise me if it is louder than spec but you can "turn it up to HI", just for render sessions ... eh?

I could not find a decent fan controller that had a "click-off" on the knobs. I thot about inserting some (NASA Style) toggles, on the adjacent plate, next to each knob ... Too precious and involved ... maybe when I upgrade.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, that's impressive - but most people say they're pretty loud.

I'm considering these, They're both $24.

Noctua NF-P12

Airflow: 54.36 CFM
Acoustical Noise 19.8 dB(A)

Noctua NF-P14
Airflow: 64.96 CFM
Acoustical Noise: 19.6 dBA

I've seen much higher CFM ratings, but also a lot louder fans too, and as you know, the low noise level is pretty important to me.

The NH-D14 supposedly runs at 19.8 dBA, so, quite frankly I wouldn't want fans louder than the HS, though they're hard to find it seems.

These may be a pretty good bet:

COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm Case Fan - $8.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103061

RPM 2000 RPM
Air Flow 69 CFM
Noise Level 19 dBA

I find it hard to believe that they have a higher air flow at the same noise level than the Noctua's - then I'm just being a skeptic or a realist - I'd like to think the latter.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
The Noctuas aren't cheap but they will prolly last for 2 builds AND I would wager that they ARE as quiet as they claim to be. (20dB is NOT loud).

Also ... I just like typing "Noctua" ... Don't You ? (So exotic !)

... I took a chance on those Typhoons ... No clue how that will turn out ... looks like someone made some kind of effort (at marketing, anyway).

= Al =

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, the Noctuas are looking good for sure, and they may have a weird color scheme, but they'll match that monster cooler nicely - LOL

I'm grabbing 2 NF-P14's instead of NF-P12 for the top, same price, same noise, higher airflow.
And 1 NF-P12 for the back.

I'll move the top fan either as the front or bottom intake.

The front fan now doesn't seem to be that powerful, so I guess I gotta grab a 140mm for there too, but I'll see how this works out first.

Fan controller? Probably not needed right now...

We've now hit $1600!

$1700 if we count the case, still, not too shabby.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Considering that I was at $2k at one point, without the HS or extra fans, we worked it out well.

Btw- I went and got that gaming mouse from a local store today - and I've gotten too used to my Microsoft mouse that it's a weird fit, plus I wasn't thrilled about running an extenstion cable - luckily, I can return it for a refund. ;) That's another $45 off the cart.