XBOX 360 & Legen *DC SWOONS*

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dragoncarer was heard, at
about 05/16/2005 09:48 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> OMG OMG OMG
>

> More swwooooooning as the news regarding Legend flits around my poor little
> excited brain.
>

> Gamespot have listed Legend as being available for the Xbox 360 (as well as
> the current Xbox).
>

> Yet another reason why I must start saving for that beautiful beautiful
> console...
>
> *drools*
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3games.html
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/x360/action/tombraidervii/news.html

Word I've gotten on the 360 is that it doesn't do much at all for
gameplay. Apparently most of what they added to the Xbox is just to
turn it into a set-top internet box.

Given that the XBox.com site only gives pictures and no details, I'd
have to classify it as a "dumb blonde" ... looks good in the passenger
seat of the Porche convertable ... but don't try to talk to her (uh, it...)

Not my idea of a game box ...

---
PW

"Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dragoncarer was heard, at
> about 05/16/2005 09:48 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> > OMG OMG OMG
> >

> > More swwooooooning as the news regarding Legend flits around my poor
little
> > excited brain.
> >

> > Gamespot have listed Legend as being available for the Xbox 360 (as well
as
> > the current Xbox).
> >

> > Yet another reason why I must start saving for that beautiful beautiful
> > console...
> >
> > *drools*
> >
> > http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3games.html
> >
> > http://www.gamespot.com/x360/action/tombraidervii/news.html
> >

> Word I've gotten on the 360 is that it doesn't do much at all for
> gameplay. Apparently most of what they added to the Xbox is just to
> turn it into a set-top internet box.
>
> Given that the XBox.com site only gives pictures and no details, I'd
> have to classify it as a "dumb blonde" ... looks good in the passenger
> seat of the Porche convertable ... but don't try to talk to her (uh,
it...)

> Not my idea of a game box ...

Have you read specs?

> ---
> PW

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dragoncarer was heard, at
about 05/17/2005 07:09 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dragoncarer was heard, at
>>about 05/16/2005 09:48 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>
>>>OMG OMG OMG
>>>

>>>More swwooooooning as the news regarding Legend flits around my poor
>
> little
>
>>>excited brain.
>>>

>>>Gamespot have listed Legend as being available for the Xbox 360 (as well
>
> as
>
>>>the current Xbox).
>>>

>>>Yet another reason why I must start saving for that beautiful beautiful
>>>console...
>>>
>>>*drools*
>>>
>>>http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3games.html
>>>
>>>http://www.gamespot.com/x360/action/tombraidervii/news.html
>>>

>>Word I've gotten on the 360 is that it doesn't do much at all for
>>gameplay. Apparently most of what they added to the Xbox is just to
>>turn it into a set-top internet box.
>>
>>Given that the XBox.com site only gives pictures and no details, I'd
>>have to classify it as a "dumb blonde" ... looks good in the passenger
>>seat of the Porche convertable ... but don't try to talk to her (uh,
>
> it...)
>
>>Not my idea of a game box ...
>>

> Have you read specs?
>

>>---
>>PW

Yes, and between M$ and ATI, they'll screw it up. :)

But what I am saying is not that the hardware specs are not impressive,
but rather that M$ has devoted more of them to functions you do not need
(and probably do not want). They tout it as having wonderful (HD)
graphics processing power and then sell you services based on facilities
in the box that will rob power and CPU cycles from the gaming (not to
mention generate more heat and giving you more things to fail ... just
like the first Xbox).

I'd still say the PS3 is more impressive, not by much mind you ... but
at least they are dedicated to gaming whereas M$ has ulterior motives
(and a worse game line up ;) )

---
PW

Pistol Whipped wrote:

> I'd still say the PS3 is more impressive, not by much mind you ... but
> at least they are dedicated to gaming whereas M$ has ulterior motives
> (and a worse game line up ;) )
>
> ---
> PW

I'll be saving my money for a PS3 as well.

Somehow the words Microsoft and online don't go together well. Any bets
running on how long it takes before an online XBox 2 is hacked?

Mark

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dragoncarer was heard, at
> about 05/17/2005 07:09 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> > "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dragoncarer was heard, at
> >>about 05/16/2005 09:48 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...

<snip>

> >>Word I've gotten on the 360 is that it doesn't do much at all for
> >>gameplay. Apparently most of what they added to the Xbox is just to
> >>turn it into a set-top internet box.
> >>
> >>Given that the XBox.com site only gives pictures and no details, I'd
> >>have to classify it as a "dumb blonde" ... looks good in the passenger
> >>seat of the Porche convertable ... but don't try to talk to her (uh,
> >
> > it...)
> >
> >>Not my idea of a game box ...
> >>

> > Have you read specs?
> >

> >>---
> >>PW
> >

> Yes, and between M$ and ATI, they'll screw it up. :)
>
> But what I am saying is not that the hardware specs are not impressive,
> but rather that M$ has devoted more of them to functions you do not need
> (and probably do not want). They tout it as having wonderful (HD)
> graphics processing power and then sell you services based on facilities
> in the box that will rob power and CPU cycles from the gaming (not to
> mention generate more heat and giving you more things to fail ... just
> like the first Xbox).
>
> I'd still say the PS3 is more impressive, not by much mind you ... but
> at least they are dedicated to gaming whereas M$ has ulterior motives
> (and a worse game line up ;) )
>
> ---
> PW

After SCE revelaed the PS3....

Yes, the PS3 has more power. But what struck me about the console wars this
time around is that Xbox are taking Sony's aggressive approach, while Sony
are taking the Micros approach.
Xbox are releasing early, with the view to launching many games, Sony are
saying 'no, you'll have to wait but it's gonna be betta than Xenboxen!!'.

So I dunno. I'll still buy both.
I'm attracted to the free live content (although I know it will be severely
limited!) and several other things on the Xbox. And the Sony still has
issues - especially with pricing...how can they expect to implement Blu-ray
and all that GPU power into an affordable bundle? Right now the PS3 is gonna
to cost a hell of a lot. As someone said, there's no way games will need
Blu-ray before 2008-2010 - issues i'd like to see resolved. But they won't
be.

I think both are dedicated to gaming, but if anyone really is it's going to
be Nintendo.
Xbox and PS3 both have parent companies that are not based on gaming. And
like anything else in our capitalist world, it's always about profits.
The PS3's code is, apparently, much more complex which may in fact be
detrimental to developers. Xbox' 'XNA' is designed to attract many more
people to release their games in a 360 version, but maybe we'll see more
devlopers releasing on the 360 first or else being Xbox exclusive.
Time will tell.

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dragoncarer was heard, at
about 05/18/2005 06:44 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>>>Have you read specs?

>>Yes, and between M$ and ATI, they'll screw it up. :)
>>
>>But what I am saying is not that the hardware specs are not impressive,
>>but rather that M$ has devoted more of them to functions you do not need
>>(and probably do not want). They tout it as having wonderful (HD)
>>graphics processing power and then sell you services based on facilities
>>in the box that will rob power and CPU cycles from the gaming (not to
>>mention generate more heat and giving you more things to fail ... just
>>like the first Xbox).
>>
>>I'd still say the PS3 is more impressive, not by much mind you ... but
>>at least they are dedicated to gaming whereas M$ has ulterior motives
>>(and a worse game line up ;) )
>>
>>---
>>PW
>

> After SCE revelaed the PS3....
>
> Yes, the PS3 has more power. But what struck me about the console wars this
> time around is that Xbox are taking Sony's aggressive approach, while Sony
> are taking the Micros approach.
> Xbox are releasing early, with the view to launching many games, Sony are
> saying 'no, you'll have to wait but it's gonna be betta than Xenboxen!!'.

I'm not so sure about that. Latest word out of E3 is that most buyers
intend on a "wait and see" for the PS3. Not that that will hurt M$ all
that bad, since lord knows they can afford to wait.

> So I dunno. I'll still buy both.
> I'm attracted to the free live content (although I know it will be severely
> limited!) and several other things on the Xbox. And the Sony still has
> issues - especially with pricing...how can they expect to implement Blu-ray
> and all that GPU power into an affordable bundle? Right now the PS3 is gonna
> to cost a hell of a lot. As someone said, there's no way games will need
> Blu-ray before 2008-2010 - issues i'd like to see resolved. But they won't
> be.

They'll make it "cheap enough" like they always do and clean up on
participation in game sales. Even though the PS has always cost a
little bit more, its more bang for the buck. M$ knows this is the name
of the game too, but M$ never commits to a project unless every facet of
it has a profit avenue, including the box itself. Although when sales
were mediocre on the original Xbox, M$ fixed it with a deep price cut
.... something they are *not* prone to.

As for being attracted to "all those things" ... I never bought an
all-in-one stereo ... and most people didn't either. You find out real
fast that if one thing goes wrong, you generally lose not one device,
but all of them. All your secondary entertainment down the tube in one
go ... no thanks.

> I think both are dedicated to gaming, but if anyone really is it's going to
> be Nintendo.

Yes, but they are going to be so late to this party. They have their
die-hard Zelda fans to keep them alive a while longer, I guess.

> Xbox and PS3 both have parent companies that are not based on gaming. And
> like anything else in our capitalist world, it's always about profits.
> The PS3's code is, apparently, much more complex which may in fact be
> detrimental to developers. Xbox' 'XNA' is designed to attract many more
> people to release their games in a 360 version, but maybe we'll see more
> devlopers releasing on the 360 first or else being Xbox exclusive.
> Time will tell.

From what I've heard the "complexity" issue is propaganda from M$, but
then they lean toward making things simple at the expense of control.
The Cell is a *serious* graphics controller, M$ is basically building a PC.

As far as the gaming companies go ... most of the ones that were making
money and still are, are treating M$ like the curse of the red death (or
would it be the "green" death in the case of the Xbox). Not to the
games themselves mind you, but to the control and freedom they have.
Some of them can afford to "do an Xbox port" but none of them want to
"get in bed with M$". Sony already has a seriously long lineup of games
pledging allegiance to the PS3.

Besides, that full 1080i is going to make M$'s 720p look a little sad
.... and will make getting the Xbox a few months early look like not such
a good thing.

I have no doubt that the 360 will garner serious sales, but the specs
are squarely middle of the road when you consider that they have no
connectivity between components other than PCIe. Probably part of the
reason the ATI will have 512 onboard ... but that means there will be
little serious sharing of load between the CPU and GPU. Just enough
"umph" to get the market's attention (especially with a multi-million ad
campaign to sell it as the "hottest" hardware)

Of course, all of that says, "not a *serious* gamers machine" ... but
then how much of the market is "*serious* gamers" anyway?!

If I were in the console market, and if I were an XBoxen, (two very
*BIG* ifs ) I would not be worried about price or speed or features ...
I'd worry about *pop-ups* and *viruses*!

---

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dragoncarer was heard, at
> about 05/18/2005 06:44 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> > "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> <snip>

> >>Yes, and between M$ and ATI, they'll screw it up. :)
> >>
> >>But what I am saying is not that the hardware specs are not impressive,
> >>but rather that M$ has devoted more of them to functions you do not need
> >>(and probably do not want). They tout it as having wonderful (HD)
> >>graphics processing power and then sell you services based on facilities
> >>in the box that will rob power and CPU cycles from the gaming (not to
> >>mention generate more heat and giving you more things to fail ... just
> >>like the first Xbox).
> >>
> >>I'd still say the PS3 is more impressive, not by much mind you ... but
> >>at least they are dedicated to gaming whereas M$ has ulterior motives
> >>(and a worse game line up ;) )
> >>
> >>---
> >>PW
> >

> > After SCE revelaed the PS3....
> >
> > Yes, the PS3 has more power. But what struck me about the console wars
this
> > time around is that Xbox are taking Sony's aggressive approach, while
Sony
> > are taking the Micros approach.
> > Xbox are releasing early, with the view to launching many games, Sony
are
> > saying 'no, you'll have to wait but it's gonna be betta than
Xenboxen!!'.

> I'm not so sure about that. Latest word out of E3 is that most buyers
> intend on a "wait and see" for the PS3. Not that that will hurt M$ all
> that bad, since lord knows they can afford to wait.

Going on actual hardware alone, the PS3 will be more powerful. But, as we
all know, that's not the be-all and end-all of good games or good consoles.
Ultimately, it's going to come down to what the developers can squeeze out
of the hardware, and how good the games will be.

> > So I dunno. I'll still buy both.
> > I'm attracted to the free live content (although I know it will be
severely
> > limited!) and several other things on the Xbox. And the Sony still has
> > issues - especially with pricing...how can they expect to implement
Blu-ray
> > and all that GPU power into an affordable bundle? Right now the PS3 is
gonna
> > to cost a hell of a lot. As someone said, there's no way games will need
> > Blu-ray before 2008-2010 - issues i'd like to see resolved. But they
won't
> > be.
> >

> They'll make it "cheap enough" like they always do and clean up on
> participation in game sales. Even though the PS has always cost a
> little bit more, its more bang for the buck. M$ knows this is the name
> of the game too, but M$ never commits to a project unless every facet of
> it has a profit avenue, including the box itself. Although when sales
> were mediocre on the original Xbox, M$ fixed it with a deep price cut
> ... something they are *not* prone to.

That's because it was so ludicrously high at initial launch! Something I
fear the PS3 will repeat...

> As for being attracted to "all those things" ... I never bought an
> all-in-one stereo ... and most people didn't either. You find out real
> fast that if one thing goes wrong, you generally lose not one device,
> but all of them. All your secondary entertainment down the tube in one
> go ... no thanks.

The idea of free live content and wireless controllers is attractive. Unlike
an all-in-one stereo, I don't see how those components could cause
system-wide crashes.

> > I think both are dedicated to gaming, but if anyone really is it's going
> > be Nintendo.
>
> Yes, but they are going to be so late to this party. They have their
> die-hard Zelda fans to keep them alive a while longer, I guess.

lol...I think Nintendo aren't so much late, as they were never invited. It
seems to be the way the've beeng going in recent years. Which is sad. They
make top quality games...but...

> > Xbox and PS3 both have parent companies that are not based on gaming.
And
> > like anything else in our capitalist world, it's always about profits.
> > The PS3's code is, apparently, much more complex which may in fact be
> > detrimental to developers. Xbox' 'XNA' is designed to attract many more
> > people to release their games in a 360 version, but maybe we'll see more
> > devlopers releasing on the 360 first or else being Xbox exclusive.
> > Time will tell.
> >

> From what I've heard the "complexity" issue is propaganda from M$, but
> then they lean toward making things simple at the expense of control.
> The Cell is a *serious* graphics controller, M$ is basically building a
PC.

Hey I'm not about to start a console war of my own. Each has its own unique
characteristics.
And remember that out there there are FanBoys as far as the eye can see...

> As far as the gaming companies go ... most of the ones that were making
> money and still are, are treating M$ like the curse of the red death (or
> would it be the "green" death in the case of the Xbox). Not to the
> games themselves mind you, but to the control and freedom they have.
> Some of them can afford to "do an Xbox port" but none of them want to
> "get in bed with M$". Sony already has a seriously long lineup of games
> pledging allegiance to the PS3.
>
> Besides, that full 1080i is going to make M$'s 720p look a little sad
> ... and will make getting the Xbox a few months early look like not such
> a good thing.
>
> I have no doubt that the 360 will garner serious sales, but the specs
> are squarely middle of the road when you consider that they have no
> connectivity between components other than PCIe. Probably part of the
> reason the ATI will have 512 onboard ... but that means there will be
> little serious sharing of load between the CPU and GPU. Just enough
> "umph" to get the market's attention (especially with a multi-million ad
> campaign to sell it as the "hottest" hardware)
>
> Of course, all of that says, "not a *serious* gamers machine" ... but
> then how much of the market is "*serious* gamers" anyway?!
>
> If I were in the console market, and if I were an XBoxen, (two very
> *BIG* ifs ) I would not be worried about price or speed or features ...
> I'd worry about *pop-ups* and *viruses*!

lol