No Option to create a new partition

March 1, 2005 12:53:03 PM

I'm running windows xp home. I found this url with the right information:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000#4

However, my computer doesn't have the option to create a new partition or
logical drive.

I have a 40 gig hard drive. I want to partition 3 gigs off so I can install
linux to test out if a game runs better on it.

Why don't have I have the option to create a new partition?

The only options available to me are: Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and
Paths, Properties.

Can anyone help?
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:54:25 PM

> I have a 40 gig hard drive. I want to partition 3 gigs off so I can
> install
> linux to test out if a game runs better on it.
>
> Why don't have I have the option to create a new partition?
>
> The only options available to me are: Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter
> and
> Paths, Properties.

As George stated you have probably already allocated all the room on your
drive. As it is your system volume that was initialized when Windows was
installed you cannot change it's size with the built in tools. You can do
this with 3rd party software like Partition Magic and others. If you don't
understand partitioning and volumes, you should do some reading before
proceeding further. Done wrong your file system may be damaged. Try this
google search for more information:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=partition+hard+dri...

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:54:47 PM

You will need a 3rd party partitioning tool (if you want to keep the existing installation) to shrink the existing partition and then create a new partition in the free space. I use Disk Manager from www.acronis.com.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"BunniBunni" <BunniBunni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CB6FA2D6-00A9-4629-86E8-983C04BFDFBC@microsoft.com...
| I'm running windows xp home. I found this url with the right information:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000#4
|
| However, my computer doesn't have the option to create a new partition or
| logical drive.
|
| I have a 40 gig hard drive. I want to partition 3 gigs off so I can install
| linux to test out if a game runs better on it.
|
| Why don't have I have the option to create a new partition?
|
| The only options available to me are: Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and
| Paths, Properties.
|
| Can anyone help?
March 1, 2005 10:02:02 PM

Probably because all of your drive has already been partitioned and there is
no more unpartitioned space left.

george