No Option to create a new partition

I'm running windows xp home. I found this url with the right information:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000#4

However, my computer doesn't have the option to create a new partition or
logical drive.

I have a 40 gig hard drive. I want to partition 3 gigs off so I can install
linux to test out if a game runs better on it.

Why don't have I have the option to create a new partition?

The only options available to me are: Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and
Paths, Properties.

Can anyone help?
3 answers Last reply
More about option create partition

    > I have a 40 gig hard drive. I want to partition 3 gigs off so I can
    > install
    > linux to test out if a game runs better on it.
    >
    > Why don't have I have the option to create a new partition?
    >
    > The only options available to me are: Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter
    > and
    > Paths, Properties.

    As George stated you have probably already allocated all the room on your
    drive. As it is your system volume that was initialized when Windows was
    installed you cannot change it's size with the built in tools. You can do
    this with 3rd party software like Partition Magic and others. If you don't
    understand partitioning and volumes, you should do some reading before
    proceeding further. Done wrong your file system may be damaged. Try this
    google search for more information:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=partition+hard+drive+windows+xp&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

    Kerry Brown
    KDB Systems

    You will need a 3rd party partitioning tool (if you want to keep the existing installation) to shrink the existing partition and then create a new partition in the free space. I use Disk Manager from www.acronis.com.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "BunniBunni" <BunniBunni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CB6FA2D6-00A9-4629-86E8-983C04BFDFBC@microsoft.com...
    | I'm running windows xp home. I found this url with the right information:
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000#4
    |
    | However, my computer doesn't have the option to create a new partition or
    | logical drive.
    |
    | I have a 40 gig hard drive. I want to partition 3 gigs off so I can install
    | linux to test out if a game runs better on it.
    |
    | Why don't have I have the option to create a new partition?
    |
    | The only options available to me are: Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and
    | Paths, Properties.
    |
    | Can anyone help?

    Probably because all of your drive has already been partitioned and there is
    no more unpartitioned space left.

    george

    "BunniBunni" <BunniBunni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running windows xp home. I found this url with the right information:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000#4
    >
    > However, my computer doesn't have the option to create a new partition or
    > logical drive.
    >
    > I have a 40 gig hard drive. I want to partition 3 gigs off so I can
    > install
    > linux to test out if a game runs better on it.
    >
    > Why don't have I have the option to create a new partition?
    >
    > The only options available to me are: Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter
    > and
    > Paths, Properties.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

Configuration Partition Windows XP