'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD' not showing

uRabbit

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3L

I'm attempting to boot from DVD. In BIOS settings, I changed all three boot devices to CD ROM. F10 to save and rebooted.

Says:
'Loading Operating System...
Boot from CD/DVD...'

And then it just loads my already installed XP, without saying it failed or anything. So, it is booting from the hard disk despite everything telling it not to. I was told that if I'm not getting the 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD' prompt, then it's something with the BIOS.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
On your system summary page, the recognized SATA/IDE devices should be listed. If something is missing, shut the system down and make sure your power and data cables are securely fastened on the device and motherboard as appropriate.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

If you can burn an ISO, then the system recognizes the device.

The issue might be your media. Do you have another bootable CD/DVD that could be used to see if your system will boot properly from that disk?

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Just to make sure, this is a legitimate copy of 7 isn't it? Anyway, have you tried shutting off the PC before it boots the OS with the CD in, and then starting up the PC with the CD in and see if it boots?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Remember, CDs and DVDs use different lasers (keeping this simple) for reading and writing to/from media. The problem is likely your optical drive and one of its lasers not working properly. If you have access to another optical drive, it is worth a shot to swap for troubleshooting purposes.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No, since you have checked out pretty much everything else. If you can't manually boot from media you know is good and will boot from another system and your system works otherwise, it is likely the optical drive itself. Just a thought and the course of action I would take at this time.

BTW, I assume this is a SATA optical drive. Is that correct? If so, what SATA mode are you using (IDE, AHCI, or RAID) for your SATA controller(s)?