Sign in with
Your question

'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD' not showing

Last response: in Motherboards
March 22, 2011 2:41:59 PM

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3L

I'm attempting to boot from DVD. In BIOS settings, I changed all three boot devices to CD ROM. F10 to save and rebooted.

Says:
'Loading Operating System...
Boot from CD/DVD...'

And then it just loads my already installed XP, without saying it failed or anything. So, it is booting from the hard disk despite everything telling it not to. I was told that if I'm not getting the 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD' prompt, then it's something with the BIOS.
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 4:36:21 PM

Does your BIOS recognize the presence of your optical drive? Also, does your system give you the option to manually select the boot device when the BIOS splash screen is up (usually F11 or F12)?
m
l
March 22, 2011 5:40:27 PM

How can I tell if BIOS recognizes it? I know how to see if it recognizes my hard disks...

And yes, I've tried F12 and selected CD ROM. Same thing.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 5:42:28 PM

Try disconnecting the HDD from the MB, and see if it will then boot from a CD
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 5:43:24 PM

On your system summary page, the recognized SATA/IDE devices should be listed. If something is missing, shut the system down and make sure your power and data cables are securely fastened on the device and motherboard as appropriate.
m
l
March 22, 2011 5:46:28 PM

Well I just used it to burn the ISO onto the DVD, so I'm sure it's fine. I'll try with the HDD's disconnected.

I'll have to wait till I get home.
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 5:49:43 PM

uRabbit said:
Well I just used it to burn the ISO onto the DVD, so I'm sure it's fine. I'll try with the HDD's disconnected.

I'll have to wait till I get home.

If you can burn an ISO, then the system recognizes the device.

The issue might be your media. Do you have another bootable CD/DVD that could be used to see if your system will boot properly from that disk?
m
l
March 22, 2011 5:52:58 PM

I've burnt five of the same one now. I'll try a version of Ubuntu that I know has worked in the past.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 6:32:46 PM

How big is the Ubuntu ISO file in megabytes?
m
l
March 22, 2011 6:38:17 PM

Not sure; not home right now, but it is on a normal CD-R. The ISO I am attempting to boot from is 3.2GB, on a DVD+R.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 6:47:47 PM

Did you just burn the file regularly using Windows? Assuming that's your OS
m
l
March 22, 2011 7:01:51 PM

I'm on XP. I burnt it in XP, first using PowerISO, then using ActiveISO, then using ImgBurn.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 8:28:58 PM

OK, I was going to suggest you use some software like that, but you already did. Are you trying to make your PC so it can run Windows or Ubuntu depending on which OS you want to load?
m
l
March 22, 2011 9:22:34 PM

PM sent, but please continue conversation here
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2011 10:22:30 PM

Just to make sure, this is a legitimate copy of 7 isn't it? Anyway, have you tried shutting off the PC before it boots the OS with the CD in, and then starting up the PC with the CD in and see if it boots?
m
l
March 23, 2011 4:18:00 AM

Yes I've tried that.

And yes, it's legitimate. I just don't like saying I'm copying Windows 7 because of the stigma and having to explain the whole situation. Heh.
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 23, 2011 12:53:35 PM

Go into your BIOS and disable the quick boot feature. Will slow down the process and may allow the boot from optical device to engage better.
m
l
March 23, 2011 1:58:55 PM

Quick boot is not enabled. "/
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 23, 2011 3:45:11 PM

So, are you still unable to boot with anything from your DVD-RW? Or, just Windows 7?
m
l
March 23, 2011 6:03:02 PM

I have not been able to attempt my Ubuntu CD-R, only my Windows 7 backup DVD. Was busy last night. I'll be off work in five hours.
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 23, 2011 6:06:47 PM

Remember, CDs and DVDs use different lasers (keeping this simple) for reading and writing to/from media. The problem is likely your optical drive and one of its lasers not working properly. If you have access to another optical drive, it is worth a shot to swap for troubleshooting purposes.
m
l
March 23, 2011 6:15:45 PM

I do not have access to another one without purchasing one. However, it plays DVD movies and games perfectly fine.
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 23, 2011 6:19:35 PM

DVD-RWs are cheap and widely available. Check it out and return it if not needed. Just a suggestion. Good luck!
m
l
March 23, 2011 6:25:48 PM

Isn't it conclusive that since it reads DVD games and movies, it's fine?
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 23, 2011 6:29:47 PM

uRabbit said:
Isn't it conclusive that since it reads DVD games and movies, it's fine?

No, since you have checked out pretty much everything else. If you can't manually boot from media you know is good and will boot from another system and your system works otherwise, it is likely the optical drive itself. Just a thought and the course of action I would take at this time.

BTW, I assume this is a SATA optical drive. Is that correct? If so, what SATA mode are you using (IDE, AHCI, or RAID) for your SATA controller(s)?
m
l
March 23, 2011 7:12:54 PM

Phew, I'll have to check. It's not RAID. I remember setting it but can't remember to what... And honestly, I only set it to what I was told in the building guide I used haha.

Three more hours till I'm off.

So...
Check to be sure BIOS recognizes drive
See which SATA mode I'm in
And see if Ubuntu disc will still boot
m
l
March 23, 2011 11:02:57 PM

Ubuntu loaded right up.

Btw, I'm in IDE and BIOS recognizes the drive.
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 12:49:43 AM

Ok, so you have confirmed that you can boot from a CD, but not a DVD. Is that correct?
m
l
March 24, 2011 3:12:01 AM

That is correct. I COULD try copying the Ubuntu bootloader over onto a DVD to further confirm, I suppose. Would really hate to waste more DVD's though.
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 11:02:16 AM

uRabbit said:
That is correct. I COULD try copying the Ubuntu bootloader over onto a DVD to further confirm, I suppose. Would really hate to waste more DVD's though.

Worth a shot. Good luck!
m
l
March 24, 2011 11:04:32 PM

Figured out what was happening; was burning the wrong ISO. And now this...

Tried burning with PowerISO and had it verify as well. Says:
Error reading media information.
Burning failed (-110, 67279c2b)

I'm using Verbatim media, so I can't imagine it being the discs themselves. "/
m
l
March 25, 2011 12:49:55 AM

Well, the DVD worked anyway. But I can't seem to supply Windows 7 with the appropriate CD/DVD driver...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2011 1:00:00 AM

The disc that came with your MB might have it. Does setup prompt you to insert a driver disc?
m
l
March 25, 2011 1:15:43 AM

Yes, it does. However, my mobo's driver disc is where I got my driver from. That driver is only for XP and Vista. So I downloaded the new driver and installed it; it's for all Windows. However, Windows 7 setup is still not finding it.

The driver installer installed the drivers somewhere without telling me where, and then rebooted the computer. So, I've no clue where these drivers are located, and neither does Windows 7 setup.

Does it matter that I'm on XP 32-bit, trying to install 7 64-bit (on another HDD)?
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
March 25, 2011 1:29:32 AM

uRabbit said:
Yes, it does. However, my mobo's driver disc is where I got my driver from. That driver is only for XP and Vista. So I downloaded the new driver and installed it; it's for all Windows. However, Windows 7 setup is still not finding it.

The driver installer installed the drivers somewhere without telling me where, and then rebooted the computer. So, I've no clue where these drivers are located, and neither does Windows 7 setup.

Does it matter that I'm on XP 32-bit, trying to install 7 64-bit (on another HDD)?

That won't matter since you are booting from the DVD. As long as you aren't using RAID drivers, you should not have to load anything to install Win 7. Are you attempting to install via a controller in RAID mode?
m
l
March 25, 2011 1:56:27 AM

I've never used RAID. BIOS is set to IDE.

This problem is apparently common. But in all the help topics I've read, the OP has never found a fix.
m
l
May 2, 2012 4:25:01 PM

COLGeek said:
Remember, CDs and DVDs use different lasers (keeping this simple) for reading and writing to/from media. The problem is likely your optical drive and one of its lasers not working properly. If you have access to another optical drive, it is worth a shot to swap for troubleshooting purposes.

Dear,

Please help me. I am also not able to boot. Not getting an option of "press any key to boot from the CD, press Any key"
Have changed my First boot device to CDROM by pressing DEL and F12. Please help at the earliest. My system is hanging so much. Neither able to boot nor able to open a single file in system. Please help ASAP
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:52:57 AM

i have a like same problem

i insirt the cd and restart the pc then . but it not shown the option "press any kye to load from cd "
i chenge hte bios option to frist bootable device CD/DVD by going bios settings and i also try to manually load from cd by pressing f12 kye bu but again its not working........

plz help me freands..........................................................................................................................
m
l
April 16, 2013 9:18:22 AM

kilo_17 said:
Try disconnecting the HDD from the MB, and see if it will then boot from a CD

Hello!
I have just run into this situation, where in doesn't boot to xp cd, but when the hard drive is unplugged the cd works just fine!
Any resolutions you can share? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Roland
roland2203 at gmail dot com
m
l
June 9, 2013 11:08:49 PM

I'm having the same problem, but its a simple problem (not sure how to fix it). My keyboard is not being recognized untill Windows 7 has fully loaded. Could this be it?
m
l
Related resources
!