Need Card Suggestions for 350W iBuyPower PC with ASUS P5N-E motherboard (pci-exp

dkmss

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Hello, all. I am looking to upgrade the graphics card on my girlfriend's computer, which is running on a stock ATX case's 350W supply; the system was bought from iBuyPower. I am essentially wondering what is a good-value PCI-Express x16 card that will not overstress her 350W power supply. Note that x16 is as far as her capability goes: a backwards-compatible 2.0 or 2.1 card will be considered (if recommended) but I'll have to check on it.

Here are other power sappers and counters of note:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB);

4 GB [1 GB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module (Corsair-Value or Major Brand);

a 320GB 540RPM hard drive;

and this cooling system:
[=== Silent ===] AVC Silent Intel CPU Fan and Heatsink Silent & Overclocking Proof

P.S. I think I would prefer an ATI, as they seem to run Fallout 3 better than Nvidia cards at middle ranges, and I'm really looking forward to playing the hell out of New Vegas.

Thanks!

FO3_1920.png

HD5670 would be the best for you.

dkmss

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Thanks a lot, Shadow. The card looks good; I just have 2 questions:

1. The recommended minimum wattage is 400. But many people said, like you, that 350 is plenty, since it only runs up to 60ish watts during heavy gaming use. Is it ok?
2. How much does this card tend to bottleneck the x16 interface? I know it's great on 2.0/1 but will it still be worth it on x16?

Thanks. Trying to research it when I can but if you know more--or anyone does--let me know. CHeers

The card dosent use an extra power connector as all the needed power is taken from the PCIE slot. The compant recomend a higher power PSU to give themselves a good saftey margin.

There will be no bottleneck, even as low as X4 on the PCIE buss only gives a small loss, Toms did an article on PCIE scalling but i dont have the link handy.

Mactronix :)

dkmss

Distinguished
May 16, 2010