Sign in with
Your question

Could ym CPU be the reason my computer wont start

Last response: in CPUs
August 22, 2010 4:42:03 PM

I have a friends Emachine that use to get to the Windows Vista log on screen and then shut off everytime, I tried recovery discs and that did not work so I hooked up the hard drive to my computer and reformatted it and then tried to boot the emachine up with windows 7 and xp but as soon as it got to the installation part it would shut down again. So I got a new hard drive and that does the same thing, so I got a new power supply and it still causes the same problem, I tried the beep test for RAM and it beeps when the RAM is not in so im assuming it is recognizing that though i guess it could still possibly be faulty, but I think it is either the CPU or mobo? Could it be the motherboard cause I can get to the BIOS and the computer stays on forever but as soon as i try to boot it up then it shuts down??? Should I replace the CPU, it is an AM2 socket and it with a AM3 cpu and everything connected right but when i turned the comp on, the lights that are suppose to come on did not and the monitor would not start, I am dumbfounded, CPU or mobo and why? thanks for any suggestions, I have been racking my brain over this
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 5:32:35 PM

if you have another computer to use then download hirens boot cd.
you would burn the iso file to disc and then boot off of that from dead computer.
run the diagnostics (PC Check).
I had a Dell doing almost the same thing and had to replace mobo.
But try running diagnostics first.
Visually inspect closely for blown capacitor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 6:00:19 PM

I hope it helps.
Let me know how you made out.
m
l
!