MSI 890FXA-GD65 CPU overclock questions

So i'm having voltage problems with my new MSI 890FXA-GD65 and so i decided to ask MSI tech support to see if they could help me with the problem.This conversation between me and MSI starts from the bottom up.I don't think their very helpful....

MSI Tech. 03/22/2011 Dear customer, this board don't have northbridge I think you refer to mosfet. It will go up to 100C. Thanks!

End User 03/22/2011 Do you know the Maximum Temperature for the Northbridge chip is on this motherboard?

End User 03/22/2011 I think their is something wrong actually.The voltage goes above what I set it to,how is their not anything wrong with that? As I said before the voltage rises by .5 up from what it is set to_On my old motherboard it would remain constant.That is why I think their is a problem.

MSI Tech. 03/22/2011 Dear customer, your issue is normal nothing wrong. It is for voltage fluctuation. thanks!

End User 03/22/2011 What else could be the issue?

End User 03/21/2011 What else could be the issue?

MSI Tech. 03/21/2011 Dear customer, no option you can disable DrMos. Thanks!

End User 03/21/2011 No, I have no overclocking software installed. It seems to me like it's a power saving function that's causing this.Whenever the processor entires a sate of stress the voltage rises.As i've stated before i believe that i have turn off all of the power save functions,in the BIOS and in Windows. Do you think DrMos could be causing it?Is their anyway to turn it off?

MSI Tech. 03/21/2011 Dear customer, do you install any overclock utility in the windows or not? If you have any please try to uninstall it and retry it. Thanks!
End User 03/21/2011 C1E support and Spread Spectrum is disabled and the problem still remains.

MSI Tech. 03/21/2011 Dear customer, please disable C1E support and spread spectrum then recheck your issue. Thanks!

End User 03/21/2011 Disregaurd the Overclock comment.Why does the voltage fluxuate so? When the CPU is under stress the CPU voltage goes from what it's set at(1.4)and increases by .5(1.45)This problem is causing the CPU temps to be to hot.I'm sure this is a power saving related issue.Can you please tell me how to turn off all of the power saving features for this MSI board?

MSI Tech. 03/21/2011 Dear customer, we don't support any overclock issue. Thanks!

End User 03/21/2011 I've turned off AMD Cool n Quiet and all of the Green Power functions.The CPU voltage still regulates like it's in a power state when it is under load.I am wondering how do i turn off all of the power saving functions so i can succesfully overclock my CPU.I want the CPU voltage to remain at a constant number not fluxiate.It will stay at it's assigned number until the CPU goes under load,then the voltage rises another .5.This is causing it to overheat.

My CPU is a Phenom ii x4 965.Stock is 1.4v.
I believe i've turned off all of the power saving features but this new board is really wierd.
Here's what i'e done,The stock voltage for the 965 is 1.4.Even at the defualt in the BIOS when i go to stress the CPU i see the voltage rise from 1.4 to 1.45.
I set the voltage in the BIOS and without stress it rises by .2 from what i've entered in the BIOS.When i put it under stress it raises by .5.
It seems to be like it's under some kind of power management thing but i've turned everything off.
This board is better at power than it's higher model the GD70 so all i can think is that i've been missing something.I've asked MSI support but they don't seem to know what their talking about.

If you use 'Auto' then yes, the voltage does and should vary; in some cases quite a bit. If you don't OC then there's no need to set ANY voltages. If you run you RAM at Rated Frequencies then set the DRAM Voltage.

Power Savings is perfectly fine to use, and if the CPU is stressed then it will 'instantly' change to accommodate the CPU. Typically, the CPU throttles-down it's 'multiplier' / 'ratio' and hence the Voltage.

Increasing the CPU voltage does nothing but add heat. The Northbridge has a max operational temp of 100~105C, and if it's not OC it should run 37~45C.

To OC -- you also need a Good CPU FAN and Good Case airflow.
Load Defaults
Adjust CPU Ratio -> Increase to desired OC
CPU Voltage -> Increase only if unstable
If needed:
..../CPU VDD Voltage {Auto, increase ONLY if high OC}
..../ CPU-NB VDD Voltage {1.25~1.35v}
Advanced DRAM Configuration
FSB/DRAM Ratio -> Increase to RAM Spec Frequency ; see Adjusted DRAM Frequency (MHz)
DRAM Voltage -> per Spec
{Timings per spec; if 1600 MHz RAM use 2N timing}

Temps -> HW Monitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html OR whatever floats your boat.
Testing CPU -> Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Thankyou so much jaquith!!!Your exactly what i prayed for.
Let me tell you the real storey.I said defualt because dealing with MSI has brought me to feel like i'm the only who understands.
Here's what really happend.
Stock volt for the 965 is 1.4volt.On my old board(Gigabyte770t-usb3)i was O.C.ing and i was able to reach 3.8ghz at 1.425.

On this new board i've noticed that no matter what voltage it's set at it will rise by .2 without stress.Under stress it will rise by .5 + the .2.
I know the O.C.ing thersholds of my chip but this board is funky!!!
So i've O.C.ed to 3.8ghz just like my old board but this board doesn't regulate voltage corrently or something.
I have to set it at 1.375 in the BIOS so when the stress kickis it up to 1.45 it will become stable.
Honestly thinking about sendind this board back for an RMA to obatin a Asus one but this board will support AM3+.Beyond that it supports many other feautres that i don't want to give awayway.
Just want my CPU core volt to stay contant like my old mobo.
(little intoxcated right now,if you don't understand thats okaay i will send you when i will)

I still don't understand what the fuss is about, so your cpu goes up .05v (which by the way is not what you said in your first post, you said .5v) which is a HUGE difference.

A 1/2 volt is a lot different than 1/20 of a volt. That would be a serious issue and I could see what your fussing about.....but.......it's 1/20 of a volt.

Secondly, why would you want to turn off all the power saving features? Is your electric bill too low?

The only CPU Voltage that I look at, or care about, it the 'minimum stable' via Prime95. Meaning it can bounce around all day long, it does, and as long as I'm stable and running 'cool per OC' then I'm a happy guy.

Also, what's good for one MOBO isn't necessarily good for a different MOBO; Good & Bad.

OC is all about the least voltage {least heat} and stable. Therefore, keep trying lower until it doesn't work. Next, set the DRAM Voltage manually because that too goes up with OC.

You can also mess around with both the Adjust CPU (19~17) Ratio & FSB (200~230). On MSI I don't know what impact CPU Phase Control has, and it's probably the cause for the roller coaster. Try CPU Phase Control -> Off ; see http://www.overclock.net/general-processor-discussions/793584-cpu-phase-control.html

I PM you jaquith...i set the voltage in th BIOS to 1.375.This MSI board seems to rise whatever it's set to in theo BIOS by .2!!! Just by normal....When it's under stress it rises by .2 from what it's set as in the bios to .5 in a stress states.So in total in rises .7 from what it's set in the BIOS.the GD-65 is supposidly so much better than the GD-70 in power but i'm having my doubts. And MSI isn't any help in this.
Really i think my problems would be solved if i can disable all the power saving features this mobo has but i "think" 'i have already disabled alll of them.
About to give this mobo up for a Asus unless i find he problem for such a CPU Voltage fluxuaciate.

******* retarded i sped $160 on a mobo for it to regulate voltage without me saying so, you know?

Because there is nothing to solve..... :hello:

1/20th of a volt fluctuation is normal.

My CPU fluctuates from 1.30-1.36 when IDLE.

Why anyone would turn off their power saving features baffles me.

On my old Gigabyte board it would stay at a constant voltage.
I meant to say it fluxiates by .5 not .05 but .5.Yes i realize thats a huge flux.What i was trying to say in my other post is that the voltage rises and actual .7 from what you set it at in the BIOS.
This problem makes O.C.ing impossible.
I turn off power saving features for O.C.ing

If you're OC everything you really need a 650W~750W PSU. You're using 450W {non-peak} and if that PSU is older (1-2 years) and/or was running hard your capacitor aging will decrease the '520W' to something less. Running/starting Prime95 [strike]throws[/strike] spikes the PSU w/100% CPU load.

Q - After 10~15 minutes on Prime95 does the 'fluctuation' stabilize?

My numbers say i'm using only about 350watts.This Seasonic PSU is brand new(3 months old).

The voltage stablizes once it's under load.It's not constinitly jumping around.It only goes up when the CPU goes under a load.All of this is pointing to some sort of energy saving feature.It acts just like it.When ever the CPU enters a state of power the voltage increases.

I have the voltage set at 1.375 just so that the voltage will stay under 1.44 when it enters a state of power.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I think what the other guy was trying to say was. If your OC is stable with the 1.375 setting then leav it there and your good? And then that would make your board better at voltage because wile not under load you are using less power and then wile gameing it will just to 1.45 and you will still be stable. Now if your not stable at the 1.375/1.45 under load setting then keep getting angry lol :) Also with customer service like that lets hope your board really does fit the AM3+. Id be willing to bet that if it does not and you try to complain they will just tell you to bad so sad :(

I used -> http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

"because of this voltage thing." -- Q - What exactly happens when running ratios 19/20 and with the FSB 200/~220?

BTW - Unless your MOBO have voltage multimeter points -- the BIOS voltage/temps aren't accurate.

What do you mean?

CPU Multiplier is at 18 making it 3.8ghz.FSB is at defualt 200.On my old mobo i had figured the correct voltage for 3.8ghz is 1.425.
With this new mobo i have to set the voltage back to 1.375 beacuse the mobo will raise it by .6 when it's under load.

Must have been another AMD OC post that I confused myself with - 4GHz.

My next point is/was that the BIOS is not a good voltage multimeter; some MOBO's e.g. Crosshair IV Extreme have contact points so you can get an accurate voltage reading. *Really meaning the old MOBO could have been doing the same thing and you're not the wiser - BIOS producing some static but inaccurate voltage(s).

Besides 'bugging you' what 'real problem' is this announce causing?

323starz

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I also have the MSi 890FXA-GD70. I noticed you were disabling some of the features in the bios pertaining to the AMD Cool and Quiet features and a few others. I am clocked at 4.04 with only disabling the Cool and Quiet features then proceed to overclock like so...1.45 volts CPU / 230 FSB / 17.5 Multi for the 4.04 O.C.
I am very curious as to what exactly you disabled or went after and referred to as Green Features?
Also I am using 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 Mhz 8/8/8/24 1T 1.65 Volts
No other voltages were changed on the board with the exception of those listed above. NONE