Sign in with
Your question

Can I clone 2 TB External HDD To 3 TB Internal HDD ?

Last response: in Storage
August 18, 2012 5:00:20 AM

Hi,

I need to transfer the data from my External USB 2.0 TB HDD ( Seagate ) which is partitioned as MBR to new 3.0 TB Internal HDD ( Western Digital ) which is partitioned as GPT.

I have Acronis True Image software which I regularly use to clone my other hard drives but I have never done this for hard drives that are different sizes as well as different Partition style & different brands.

Is this possible & are there any risks of doing so like HDD Crash, Bad sectors other errors etc ?

Thanks
a b G Storage
August 18, 2012 5:17:55 AM

Yes, you should. Just make sure they are both plugged in and manually copy files across in Windows from one drive to another manually or with your software.

You can use a program like HDtune or any other one to check your new drive for bad sectors.

I've transferred 2TB across drives manually just fine several times before without any issues.
m
l
August 18, 2012 5:28:27 AM

edogawa said:
Yes, you should. Just make sure they are both plugged in and manually copy files across in Windows from one drive to another manually or with your software.

You can use a program like HDtune or any other one to check your new drive for bad sectors.

I've transferred 2TB across drives manually just fine several times before without any issues.

I am not sure if I understood you correctly.

I want to do this using Cloning software & not manually.

I have 4 HDD slots so no problem connecting them.

Drive with OS has the clonning software & other two drives namely 2 TB & 3 TB are both just data drives & all drives are plugged in.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 18, 2012 5:38:55 AM

Yes, it should be fine to just clone data over, you could always switch the new drive to a MBR if you'd like.

As I was saying though manually copying works great too, but you can use the cloning software.

I don't like using software to copy data(500GB or more) from one drive to another in-case it either crashes or freezes and it makes you copy everything at once.

In conclusion, go ahead and copy over the data, it should be fine; manually copying from drive to drive is a good option too to avoid issues.
m
l
August 18, 2012 6:15:20 AM

edogawa said:
Yes, it should be fine to just clone data over, you could always switch the new drive to a MBR if you'd like.

As I was saying though manually copying works great too, but you can use the cloning software.

I don't like using software to copy data(500GB or more) from one drive to another in-case it either crashes or freezes and it makes you copy everything at once.

In conclusion, go ahead and copy over the data, it should be fine; manually copying from drive to drive is a good option too to avoid issues.

Makes lot of sense.

When you say manually, you mean just copy-Paste folder by folder or use a software like robocopy or other ?
m
l
a b G Storage
August 18, 2012 6:41:47 AM

Folder by folder, for example, one of my data drives:

Data Storage(A:\) 2TB

-Folders-
Audio
Drivers and Software
Games
Images
Movie & TV

I'd do one at a time to ensure safe data transfers.
m
l
August 18, 2012 8:50:24 AM

edogawa said:
Folder by folder, for example, one of my data drives:

Data Storage(A:\) 2TB

-Folders-
Audio
Drivers and Software
Games
Images
Movie & TV

I'd do one at a time to ensure safe data transfers.

Many Thanks.
m
l
!