Can I clone 2 TB External HDD To 3 TB Internal HDD ?

Hi,

I need to transfer the data from my External USB 2.0 TB HDD ( Seagate ) which is partitioned as MBR to new 3.0 TB Internal HDD ( Western Digital ) which is partitioned as GPT.

I have Acronis True Image software which I regularly use to clone my other hard drives but I have never done this for hard drives that are different sizes as well as different Partition style & different brands.

Is this possible & are there any risks of doing so like HDD Crash, Bad sectors other errors etc ?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about clone external internal
  1. Yes, you should. Just make sure they are both plugged in and manually copy files across in Windows from one drive to another manually or with your software.

You can use a program like HDtune or any other one to check your new drive for bad sectors.

I've transferred 2TB across drives manually just fine several times before without any issues.
  2. edogawa said:
    Yes, you should. Just make sure they are both plugged in and manually copy files across in Windows from one drive to another manually or with your software.

You can use a program like HDtune or any other one to check your new drive for bad sectors.

I've transferred 2TB across drives manually just fine several times before without any issues.

I am not sure if I understood you correctly.

I want to do this using Cloning software & not manually.

I have 4 HDD slots so no problem connecting them.

Drive with OS has the clonning software & other two drives namely 2 TB & 3 TB are both just data drives & all drives are plugged in.
  3. Yes, it should be fine to just clone data over, you could always switch the new drive to a MBR if you'd like.

As I was saying though manually copying works great too, but you can use the cloning software.

I don't like using software to copy data(500GB or more) from one drive to another in-case it either crashes or freezes and it makes you copy everything at once.

In conclusion, go ahead and copy over the data, it should be fine; manually copying from drive to drive is a good option too to avoid issues.
  4. edogawa said:
    Yes, it should be fine to just clone data over, you could always switch the new drive to a MBR if you'd like.

As I was saying though manually copying works great too, but you can use the cloning software.

I don't like using software to copy data(500GB or more) from one drive to another in-case it either crashes or freezes and it makes you copy everything at once.

In conclusion, go ahead and copy over the data, it should be fine; manually copying from drive to drive is a good option too to avoid issues.

Makes lot of sense.

When you say manually, you mean just copy-Paste folder by folder or use a software like robocopy or other ?
  5. Folder by folder, for example, one of my data drives:

Data Storage(A:\) 2TB

-Folders-
    Audio
    Drivers and Software
    Games
    Images
    Movie & TV

I'd do one at a time to ensure safe data transfers.
  6. edogawa said:
    Folder by folder, for example, one of my data drives:

Data Storage(A:\) 2TB

-Folders-
    Audio
    Drivers and Software
    Games
    Images
    Movie & TV

I'd do one at a time to ensure safe data transfers.

Many Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives External Hard Drive Storage