Zyxel G405

rush

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
I want to make a point-to-point link using 2 Zyxel G405 wirelss bridge with 2 external antenas with 18dB gain over 2Km. I was wondering if anyone has tested such a link with this equipments in this configuration. How does it work: air delay, total bandwith ... and other caracteristics.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
For a wireless bridge that is extending that far you will want to make sure you have very powerful directional antennas at both ends and have clear line of sight. That far of shot will be extra hard with anything in the way.
I would use 2 802.11b bridges because b has a much longer range than g.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

rush

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
I have perfect visibility and I am planning on using 2 24dB gain California Amplifier antenas and hoping to a better transfer rate than 10-11Mbit that 802.11b could offer me. A friend of mine used 2 Linksys WRT54G with the same antenas over a 3KM link and he transported data at 2Mbyte/s dough the the link was established at 36Mbit.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
.11b does not give you any better range than .11g. At like power the range of the signal will be identical. Well there is a quality of the radios issue but they're both 2.4 Ghz. The modulation type, OFDM for .11g and CCK for .11b do not affect range. Those antennas are WAY overkill for a 2 km shot. For that you could use a 9-11 dBi directional on both end but if you have the antennas already then you might as well use them and that is PLENTY of juice. Given you have line of sight you will have a very solid link, with the disclaimer that if you have other 2.4 Ghz radio's in that line of sight then you could run into problems. Now, line of sight isn't the end of it. To do a dependable link you need fresnel zone clearance. The fresnel zone is sort of like a football if you were looking at the link from a distance with one side on your right and one on your left.

Assuming a solid link with good SNR numbers the latency in that link should be 1 ms. Actually less but that is what will register between the links. Once you get past the radio's, ie wired connectivity then your latency would depend on the equipment your using and how you set it up. At 2 km, there is no latency in a solid Point to Point with microwave. Bandwidth will depend on how solid your link is, what gear (radios) your using and so forth. The proctocol overhead will diminish your effective bandwidth but any 802.11x device will introduce that. Nature of the technology. If you have to 54 Mb .11g bridges and they associate at a 54 Mbps signalling rate, then generally you should expect in the 20-25 Mb range from point to point.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Just to add a bit of info: .11b/g have the same range because they use the same frequency. .11a As a shorter range because it uses a higher frequency.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies