Level editor! Can you read the solution to puzzles there?

I got a Level Editor CD with my TR5, which has a few levels
from TR4 on the disc. Of course, the first thing I did was
to play the levels. But then I got stuck- couldn't figure out
the puzzle. I then had the bright idea to load that level
into the room editor, and see what I can read about the
room I'm stuck in. Alas, it would seem, from reading the
docs, that you can DO things to a level, and you can save
what you did, but you can't READ BACK all the details of
how that level was put together. I can see what objects
are in the room, and I can see that some squares have
triggers, but what it takes to trigger the door I want to
open, is not apparent.

Did I miss something? Can I use the room editor to "cheat"
this way? Or is there some other software that can do that?

Heh heh...

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from David J Bush was heard, at
about 05/16/2005 06:59 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> I got a Level Editor CD with my TR5, which has a few levels
> from TR4 on the disc. Of course, the first thing I did was
> to play the levels. But then I got stuck- couldn't figure out
> the puzzle. I then had the bright idea to load that level
> into the room editor, and see what I can read about the
> room I'm stuck in. Alas, it would seem, from reading the
> docs, that you can DO things to a level, and you can save
> what you did, but you can't READ BACK all the details of
> how that level was put together. I can see what objects
> are in the room, and I can see that some squares have
> triggers, but what it takes to trigger the door I want to
> open, is not apparent.
>
> Did I miss something? Can I use the room editor to "cheat"
> this way? Or is there some other software that can do that?
>
> Heh heh...

(1) Yes, you missed something. About 20 hours of reading and practice
building levels until you thoroughly understand how the triggers are
assembled to work together, and all of the codes added to each that tell
you what triggers them. If you know how to read it, the information
you're looking for is in tables in the back of the manual. Like,
whether it is a normal trigger or a "heavy" one, and whether it is in
combination with other triggers ... or if it is blocked by a "trigger
triggerer", etc.

I myself have assembled a trigger (t1) which was "heavy" (object other
than Lara) held back by a trigger triggerer (tt1) which was triggered by
another heavy trigger (t2) and a normal trigger (t3). T2 and T3 in
combination started a "flyby" camera which (being an object other than
Lara) triggered the freshly released (by tt1) heavy trigger (t1).

And believe it or not that is relatively simple as trigger combinations
go, 'cause it did not involve switches, keys or convolutions added by
other triggers operating doors which might separate the aforementioned
individual triggers. I could have added a door between T1 and T2 which
might need yet another trigger (t4) to open.

Most levels have long chains of sequences like this. It is only through
the good graces of the designer, that they tend to be put into groups
that end in a single disconnected action moving you on to the next set
of triggers.

But, hey, don't let me try to intimidate you! ;)

(2) You can only "cheat" this way with the room editor on levels for
which you have the "source" (i.e. the "PRJ" file). For any "cheating"
of this kind on commercial levels, or for ones for which you do not have
the source, you may be able to find other software out there to read the
information.

There are a few "game editors" out there, but most of them (that I've
seen) are exactly that and nothing more. You can add items (weapons,
ammo, etc.) and you can move Lara to any position (including outside
"normal" game play). But I've never seen one that decrypted the
encoding of the triggers to show you what you must do to trigger something.

---
PW

I wrote TrEx (Tomb raider Explorer) a while back that will read TR4
level files and show objects, triggers, room layouts etc. I never got
it up to a standard I considered 'finished' (e.g. no camera info) but I
used it on several fan TR4 levels to complete them. [NB: it wouldn't
have been possible without a lot of TR community info I found on the
web -- all credit where it belongs.] I have far too many interests and
never enough free time, so I don't expect to get back to it any year
soon. However, I don't mind posting it as is (if someone explains how
as I don't even have time to research G.Groups) or failing that, I have
a one page naff website on my isp site (NTL U.K.), or maybe someone
will offer to host it.

Cheers, Mike the Aardvark

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Mike the Aardvark was heard,
at about 05/21/2005 10:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> I wrote TrEx (Tomb raider Explorer) a while back that will read TR4
> level files and show objects, triggers, room layouts etc. I never got
> it up to a standard I considered 'finished' (e.g. no camera info) but I
> used it on several fan TR4 levels to complete them. [NB: it wouldn't
> have been possible without a lot of TR community info I found on the
> web -- all credit where it belongs.] I have far too many interests and
> never enough free time, so I don't expect to get back to it any year
> soon. However, I don't mind posting it as is (if someone explains how
> as I don't even have time to research G.Groups) or failing that, I have
> a one page naff website on my isp site (NTL U.K.), or maybe someone
> will offer to host it.
>
> Cheers, Mike the Aardvark

You could post it to alt.binaries.lara.croft
Not that that is its purpose in life, but it gets precious little
traffic (in spits and furts)

How? Just add it as an attachment to the post. That simple.
Well... you may want to zip it first to help ensure integrity and to
make it as small as possible for those with dial up.

---
PW