Will a MB POST with a bad CPU or RAM - Debugging

skyodyssey32

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Hi all,
Have an older P4 with Asus P4PE MB. Been running strong for like 8 years. Now when the power is pressed I hear a fan spin and the case lights light up. I see the CD drive light flicker, but that seems to be it. No monitor output or beeps.

So how can I troubleshoot this to find the bad component? My guess is PS, MB or CPU. But how can I get a good idea which? WIll the MB do anythingwith no CPU? No Memory?

I just want to swap out the parts without having windows make me reinstall. I can get the bord on eBay, but want to be at least somewhat sure it is the MB.

Thanks for any help.

Something that may or may not help:

ASUS P4PE-X Motherboard BIOS Beep Codes

When you turn the power on and the system runs POST (Power On Self Tests) you will hear BIOS beeps.

One short beep when displaying logo - No error during POST

Long beeps in an endless loop - No DRAM installed or detected

One long beep followed by three short beeps - Video card not found or video card memory bad

High frequency beeps when system is working - CPU overheat; System running at a lower frequency

skyodyssey32

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Just an update. Oddly enough the video card kept the system from POSTing. I got no beeps or anything. After testing the PS and even trying one from another system, I then pulled the video card and sure enough, I got the standard 1 beep and the system booted. Put in another video card and all is good. The fan on the video card died so I assume it fried the card.