Sign in with
Your question

PC for Rendering/Editting

Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2010 12:21:38 AM

So my friend is a beginner graphic designer or w/e using programs such as Maya, ZBrush, Mudbox, and also newer video games.

His current build, E8400, 8800GT 512MB, 2GB DDR2 800, currently struggles with these programs.

I'm trying to give him a decent upgrade for 700-900 dollars that will run these programs flawlessly, and here's what I've come up with. Problem is I'm not sure what type of video card would be best (I'm guessing higher video memory is great though) but I'm not sure if my builds are going overboard in the graphics section.

NOTE: Quadros are way out of budget range.

More higher-end; http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Slightly less higher-end; http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I have a feeling that these two builds will perform almost identically, but I'm not sure. I would like some input, and even part suggestions to save money while keeping performance/reliability. Thanks in advance.

More about : rendering editting

June 24, 2010 2:16:54 PM

They're not identical at all. The first is a hell of a lot more powerful. And if you're spending $300+ on a GPU, Quadros aren't out of budget...

The only thing I would change is to switch the i7-920 for a i7-930. They're basically the same price, but the 930 is more powerful and better for overclocking. It's basically an upgraded version of the 920.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2010 3:27:48 PM

MadAdmiral said:
They're not identical at all. The first is a hell of a lot more powerful. And if you're spending $300+ on a GPU, Quadros aren't out of budget...

The only thing I would change is to switch the i7-920 for a i7-930. They're basically the same price, but the 930 is more powerful and better for overclocking. It's basically an upgraded version of the 920.

I don't see how they're that much different. Yes, one's 1366 and one is 1156, but these two CPUs perform extremely similar to eachother, a matter of milliseconds when it comes to long processing times, and no difference on short computations, according to benchmarks I've seen.

Also, everything about the 920 and the 930 is the same, minus the speed, which can be overclocked to match and exceed with a 920. However, it's not for me and I don't plan on overclocking it much passed anything that can be done on air.

One last thing, I didn't want quadro because the person intends on playing demanding games as well as using these programs, so I was looking for advice on a system that could perform well in both aspects.

How do you think these two systems will perform using these programs, and why might one perform better than the other specifically (while keeping gaming in mind to the performance)?
m
l
June 24, 2010 3:30:01 PM

Triple channel RAM > Dual Channel RAM

It makes a BIG difference with his uses. If he is going to game, stick with the 470, its the next best thing to the quadro for CUDA.
m
l
June 24, 2010 3:34:08 PM

Yeah, I went with Nvidia because of CUDA, also heard that ATI has some issues with Maya, not sure to whether or not that's still true.

Nice to know triple channel makes a big difference though. Problem is the 1366 rakes up the price out of his 850 budget.

At this point, I guess I would like some help getting that build down a little cheaper; more into the 850 range.

What about going down to a GTX 465, and maybe DDR3 1333 (Knocks off 10 dollars, but at the cost of how much performance?)?

Here's what I did to make triple channel more affordable:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Thinking the DDR3 1600 still worth the extra 10 dollars though :p 
m
l
June 24, 2010 3:41:57 PM

Whats his resolution? You could drop down to a GTX465 and be within the budget.
m
l
June 24, 2010 3:46:34 PM

Transmaniacon said:
Whats his resolution? You could drop down to a GTX465 and be within the budget.

I can't remember, I wanna say it's 1680x1050 or 1920x1080... makes quite a difference though...

The 465 seems to lack behind though. I'd prefer having the 470 tbh, maybe he can be talked into a higher price.
m
l
June 24, 2010 3:48:46 PM

Well it really depends on his gaming needs. You mention "demanding games", so is he playing things like Metro 2033 and Crysis? If he wants good performance in games, he is going to have to up his budget.
m
l
June 24, 2010 6:04:32 PM

Yeah, like BC2. However I think the 950 build I had would do the job in BC2/Crysis. 465 doesn't seem to cut the cake in benchmarks when it comes to max graphics, 470 on the otherhand...
m
l
June 24, 2010 6:59:31 PM

Yea if he wants to play the new games out there at a decent resolution, get the GTX470.
m
l
!