Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading system after motherboard failure

Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2010 1:16:50 AM

Hey everyone, my computer is approaching its 4 year old mark and hardware problems were starting to pile up, ending in complete failure of the motherboard CMOS (replaced battery, still broken).

Fixing a computer this old probably isn't worth it, so I decided to update the mobo/cpu/RAM to something more modern (but still cheap). I'm not concerned with getting a new DVDRW player, hard drive, graphics card, or getting fancy stuff like a 6 fan case or a 6 pound cpu fan.

Since I don't play many games with demanding graphics or demand high graphics from them (I was happy playing crysis on low settings, go me) I decided to go with welfare gaming parts since my only concern right now is getting a new computer that _works_. For reference, the only recent game I'm even considering is MW2.

OLD:
motherboard - Abit an8 32x
Processor - AMD athlon 3600+ (?) 2.1ghz. Dual core.
memory - 2x 1gb DDR

PROPOSED:
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX - $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3 gig DDR3 RAM -$81

AMD athlon II X3 440 - $75

I feel like I'm spending a lot on a motherboard and memory compared to just $75 for a processor, but I couldn't find any good deals on 3x1gb of DDR3 (using 32 bit win XP, can only use 3.2gb max) compared to how much 2x2 gb cost, and I really have no idea how to pick a motherboard that's cheap but also reliable and can be expanded on in the future when I'm ready to spend more money on a better rig.

The processor is really cheapie just because I really have no need for a faster processor when my gpu is a single 9800gt that would probably be the bottleneck with this cheap processor anyway. Any advice on these 3 items would be appreciated greatly.

Lastly, since my motherboard actually died and I can't get on to adjust any hardware settings that would ease the transition, I don't know how to install XP onto the new motherboard with the old HDs that I have (1 160gb, boot drive, 1 partitioned 500+500gb internal drive, both SATA) without erasing data or causing all kinds of problems. I read on this website that I can just do a repair installation of windows, would that work? I have a 2 week old disk [image snapshot backup thingy using Acronis]- that thing where you basically make a snapshot of a drive and save it to a file in another location- on one of the partitions of my TB drive, so would I need to just reformat the primary drive and reload everything from the TB drive?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks =)
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 235 V Motherboard
June 24, 2010 2:29:38 AM

I would go with this motherboard instead for additional savings and for the fact you are running a Nvidia 9800GT, which rules out the need for two PCIe slots (at this time). The CPU and RAM are acceptable choices!!

ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
m
l
June 24, 2010 3:53:28 AM

Alright thanks, any advice on getting xp installed on the motherboard after I buy all the hardware?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2010 4:36:51 PM

m
l
!