zelager

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I built a computer from parts this week, but I haven't gotten it to output any video. The computer will power on. Case LEDs and fans will turn on. The video card and CPU fans both turn on. There are four LEDs on the motherboard labelled 1-4 which all come on. I do not have a system speaker, so I have not heard any beeps. This is my first complete homebuild.

I have gone through the no boot checklist thoroughly.

My Components:
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750
Video Card: XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Final Thoughts:
- I have tried three different monitors and a second known-good video card (no effect)
- I have removed the motherboard battery to reset the CMOS (no effect)
- I have not seen the BIOS screen or any other visual information that a computer puts on a monitor

Tomorrow morning I will test the video card in a known-good computer, what else can I do?

First, you need the system speaker. Without one, you cannot do any real troubleshooting.

And you couldn't have gone through the checklist thoroughly. I know this because I know we put in the comment about the system speaker.

Did you breadboard your system? If not, it's time to eliminate case problems.

stecman

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
This sounds similar to a problem I had two years back - everything went, but nothing worked (it was quite embarrassing because I said to the guy I was building it for "you can do the honours and turn it on," and then it didn't work!!!). It turned out the case had a faulty reset switch [the case was an NZXT one by the way]. In retrospect, it seems obvious that this was the problem - hold down the reset button on any computer and everything goes, but since you are interrupting the main components, nothing works.

In short - try unplugging the reset switch from the front panel header and turning on.

EDIT: If this doesn't work, you'll need to get a front panel speaker to diagnose beeps (or lack of beeps).

zelager

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I found a system speaker. Thank you for pointing out that missed step!

On startup, the speaker emits a continuous series of short beeps. My manual says that this means there is a power error. I'll see if I have a known-good PSU of sufficient capacity to continue my testing. A co-worker has a meter that I can use to test the PSU. I'll attempt breadboarding next, as the co-worker is currently out of the office and the other PSU is not at hand.

Thanks for your help! I'll update with results after breadboarding.