Quick question about hooking PC to HDTV

gtfan1235

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
So you're saying that I either need the converter or a separate set of speakers for this to work? Thanks for the help btw.

Edit: Ok so I did a little more research and found this- http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2267. Would it work if I went
DVI->VGA+3.5mm Audio-->Converter--> HDMI? And if it did, would I lose significant picture quality? If it's important, this setup would be used for movies and a little gaming.

It looks to me like that would work, although I thought nearly all HDTVs had VGA inputs. What model TV are you connecting to? If it has its own VGA input, it probably also has a 3.5mm audio input to go with it, making the VGA to HDMI converter box a waste. As far as picture quality, that could get into the analog vs. digital transmission debate, but personally I doubt you'd notice the difference.

gtfan1235

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Haha I hadn't even thought of that- I'm sure it has a vga input come to think of it. Thanks for your help, as you can see I'm pretty much lost when it comes to this type of stuff.

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I would suggest getting a toslink cable, if your TV or receiver has an input for it, then you could just get a cheap dvi to HDMI cable or get a new video card with HDMI audio output such as the GT220/240 or any 5xxx series cards