How to test if a CPU is broken ?

watever44

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
This spring, I upgraded my computer, new motherboard, new cpu, new ram and new graphic card.

It worked for a bit less than 30 day. I got nothing in the boot only a BLACK screen. Nothing at all.
I tested different things but didn't work out.
I sent the motherboard (was sure it was this since I didn't even have a boot menu) for replacement, got the new one but still nothing worked.

I just put the computer away since I moved and was working too much to take the tiem for it and used my GF computer for emails.
Now I am trying to find out what's not working.

I tested the power-supply, the graphic card, the hard-drives and everything is working.

I can't test the RAM with another computer, but I tested them by only using 1 ram at a time, and still got a black screen.

I am pretty sure it's the CPU but how can I be sure ? How can I test it without having another one or a computer that runs with it ?

My motherboard is a : GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

My CPU : AMD athlon X4 620 (AM3 socket)

My girlfriend computer run a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU.
Can I interchange the cpu in any of them ? Does socket AM2 work in AM3 or vice-versa ? (I don't want to fry her CPU doing this either).

Any help is appreciated !

You take it to a computer shop and have them see if the cpu posts in their test board.

No you can't put a X2 4400 in a AM3 motherboard.

It's very unlikely it's the cpu unless you didn't install the heatsink fan correctly and it burned up, but even then, newer boards have shutdown protections so that doesn't happen.

Very rarely does a new cpu just die in 30 days.

How were you able to test the power supply and graphics card? Did the cpu power come unplugged? Did the video card power come unplugged? Did you try another monitor?

+1

watever44

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
You take it to a computer shop and have them see if the cpu posts in their test board.

No you can't put a X2 4400 in a AM3 motherboard.

It's very unlikely it's the cpu unless you didn't install the heatsink fan correctly and it burned up, but even then, newer boards have shutdown protections so that doesn't happen.

Very rarely does a new cpu just die in 30 days.

How were you able to test the power supply and graphics card? Did the cpu power come unplugged? Did the video card power come unplugged? Did you try another monitor?

I tested the Power-supply in another computer (GF) and it was working.
Same for the graphic-cards. Same for the Monitor (I actually using 2).

Would it be possible that I put too much heat compound and it slip out and made a problem on the connection ?

I don't really trust the guys that work in the commercial shop around here. I know probably as much if not more than them.
Last time my GF went, they just told her the computer was broken and she needed to buy another one. Yeah right, easy answer to get paid for.