(TRL) Maybe they Listened...

Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2005 2:39:32 AM

http://www.tombnews.com/

Especially note

'Return to the Tombs: Lara's new quest brings her to lost ancient realms
that guard the Secrets of the Past.'

and

'Dynamic animation system puts focus on continuous motion, giving lara the
ability to seamlessly handle any obstacle and interact dynamicly with any
surface.
'Move and shoot. Lara uses her physical prowess to combine gunplay with
unique signature moves.'

So...speculation anyone?

I'm assuming this indicates a) a return ye olde worlde raiding of tombs
(anyone up for a spot of adventuring Tibet style?) and b) they realised how
much we all (and I do mean all, don't I?) hated the unresponsive, sluggish
controls of AoD, and how saddened we were by the inability to side- and
backflip while shooting. IMHO, true signatures of TR.

I can still remember how surprising and joyful it was when I realised Lara
could continually push and pull in TR2, rather than having to stop and start
again as in TR1.
Maybe I can relive the experience in a whole new world....

More about : trl listened

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:39:33 AM

"Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> http://www.tombnews.com/
>
> Especially note
>
> 'Return to the Tombs: Lara's new quest brings her to lost ancient
> realms that guard the Secrets of the Past.'
>
> and
>
> 'Dynamic animation system puts focus on continuous motion, giving
> lara the ability to seamlessly handle any obstacle and interact
> dynamicly with any surface.
> 'Move and shoot. Lara uses her physical prowess to combine gunplay
> with unique signature moves.'
>

> So...speculation anyone?
>
> I'm assuming this indicates a) a return ye olde worlde raiding of
> tombs (anyone up for a spot of adventuring Tibet style?) and b) they
> realised how much we all (and I do mean all, don't I?) hated the
> unresponsive, sluggish controls of AoD, and how saddened we were by
> the inability to side- and backflip while shooting. IMHO, true
> signatures of TR.
>
> I can still remember how surprising and joyful it was when I realised
> Lara could continually push and pull in TR2, rather than having to
> stop and start again as in TR1.
> Maybe I can relive the experience in a whole new world....

I've read that stuff too, and yes, I'm getting this bright little ray of
hope growing in me about that very aspect. Its going to have to be Wait
and See but looks more and more it will be worth it.
I like the Lara face in Legend. Not sure about the hair and joints yet.
But so far, Legend Lara isn't nearly as bad as the meshes in Guild Wars
:)  And I just paid me $50 to play that game.
You can be sure I'll pay that to get Laras next outing!
McG.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:39:33 AM

Well: the description and still images of TRAOD looked awesome also .
We'll simply have to wait and see to find out if they took the
complaints to heart . I hope - but somehow doubt it - we'll get a
playable demo to download this time around so we can "try before we
buy " .

If the controls are as bad as TRAOD it'll be my last tomb raider game
for sure ( regardless of what comes next ) .

On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:39:32 +1000, "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry>
wrote:

>http://www.tombnews.com/
>
>Especially note
>
>'Return to the Tombs: Lara's new quest brings her to lost ancient realms
>that guard the Secrets of the Past.'
>
>and
>
>'Dynamic animation system puts focus on continuous motion, giving lara the
>ability to seamlessly handle any obstacle and interact dynamicly with any
>surface.
>'Move and shoot. Lara uses her physical prowess to combine gunplay with
>unique signature moves.'
>

>So...speculation anyone?
>
>I'm assuming this indicates a) a return ye olde worlde raiding of tombs
>(anyone up for a spot of adventuring Tibet style?) and b) they realised how
>much we all (and I do mean all, don't I?) hated the unresponsive, sluggish
>controls of AoD, and how saddened we were by the inability to side- and
>backflip while shooting. IMHO, true signatures of TR.
>
>I can still remember how surprising and joyful it was when I realised Lara
>could continually push and pull in TR2, rather than having to stop and start
>again as in TR1.
>Maybe I can relive the experience in a whole new world....

May 18, 2005 6:48:21 AM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> > http://www.tombnews.com/
> >
> > Especially note
> >
> > 'Return to the Tombs: Lara's new quest brings her to lost ancient
> > realms that guard the Secrets of the Past.'
> >
> > and
> >
> > 'Dynamic animation system puts focus on continuous motion, giving
> > lara the ability to seamlessly handle any obstacle and interact
> > dynamicly with any surface.
> > 'Move and shoot. Lara uses her physical prowess to combine gunplay
> > with unique signature moves.'
> >

> > So...speculation anyone?
> >
> > I'm assuming this indicates a) a return ye olde worlde raiding of
> > tombs (anyone up for a spot of adventuring Tibet style?) and b) they
> > realised how much we all (and I do mean all, don't I?) hated the
> > unresponsive, sluggish controls of AoD, and how saddened we were by
> > the inability to side- and backflip while shooting. IMHO, true
> > signatures of TR.
> >
> > I can still remember how surprising and joyful it was when I realised
> > Lara could continually push and pull in TR2, rather than having to
> > stop and start again as in TR1.
> > Maybe I can relive the experience in a whole new world....
>
> I've read that stuff too, and yes, I'm getting this bright little ray of
> hope growing in me about that very aspect. Its going to have to be Wait
> and See but looks more and more it will be worth it.
> I like the Lara face in Legend.

She's cute, but from what I've seen, they made her chin too pointed.
Compare Lara Legend to Lara TR 1, you'll see what I mean. Lara Legend
looks like she might be Lara's sister to me, not quite Lara herself.

Of course they're going to improve Lara in successive games, how can
they not? But IMO it should be limited to more poly's, better shading,
and making her more life-like; not changing her basic bone structure.

I realize that can be subjective... what's OK to change and what's not
when going from a very crude model with a painted-on face to a much
more highly detailed model. Also, in the past, her face hasn't been
quite the same depending on what non-game artwork you look at (from
Core/Eidos). But still... Maybe it's just me, but I think there's
too much variation.

Heh... at least they're consistent with that. :)

-- G

> Not sure about the hair and joints yet.
> But so far, Legend Lara isn't nearly as bad as the meshes in Guild Wars
> :)  And I just paid me $50 to play that game.
> You can be sure I'll pay that to get Laras next outing!
> McG.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:34:39 AM

"Gary Mitchell"
snip

>> I've read that stuff too, and yes, I'm getting this bright little
>> ray of hope growing in me about that very aspect. Its going to have
>> to be Wait and See but looks more and more it will be worth it.
>> I like the Lara face in Legend.
>
> She's cute, but from what I've seen, they made her chin too pointed.
> Compare Lara Legend to Lara TR 1, you'll see what I mean. Lara Legend
> looks like she might be Lara's sister to me, not quite Lara herself.
>
> Of course they're going to improve Lara in successive games, how can
> they not? But IMO it should be limited to more poly's, better
> shading, and making her more life-like; not changing her basic bone
> structure.
>
> I realize that can be subjective... what's OK to change and what's not
> when going from a very crude model with a painted-on face to a much
> more highly detailed model. Also, in the past, her face hasn't been
> quite the same depending on what non-game artwork you look at (from
> Core/Eidos). But still... Maybe it's just me, but I think there's
> too much variation.
>
> Heh... at least they're consistent with that. :)

Looking at images of Lara from all the games, and some of the FMV's, I'd
have to say I liked the Lara in the InterviewBloopers that came out a
little before AoD. I like this one in Legend too. They look a lot
alike. Yeah, changing Laras face is one consistent thing that's
happened :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:37:55 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell"
> snip
> >>
> >> I've read that stuff too, and yes, I'm getting this bright little
> >> ray of hope growing in me about that very aspect. Its going to have
> >> to be Wait and See but looks more and more it will be worth it.
> >> I like the Lara face in Legend.
> >
> > She's cute, but from what I've seen, they made her chin too pointed.
> > Compare Lara Legend to Lara TR 1, you'll see what I mean. Lara Legend
> > looks like she might be Lara's sister to me, not quite Lara herself.
> >
> > Of course they're going to improve Lara in successive games, how can
> > they not? But IMO it should be limited to more poly's, better
> > shading, and making her more life-like; not changing her basic bone
> > structure.
> >
> > I realize that can be subjective... what's OK to change and what's not
> > when going from a very crude model with a painted-on face to a much
> > more highly detailed model. Also, in the past, her face hasn't been
> > quite the same depending on what non-game artwork you look at (from
> > Core/Eidos). But still... Maybe it's just me, but I think there's
> > too much variation.
> >
> > Heh... at least they're consistent with that. :)
> >
> Looking at images of Lara from all the games, and some of the FMV's, I'd
> have to say I liked the Lara in the InterviewBloopers that came out a
> little before AoD.

Oh yeah, I saw those too. Those were great! :)  I hope the do more
of those. They should include them with the game.

In fact, they could do a whole bonus level with bloopers! :)  I'm
thinking something like out-takes of Lara in the game. Like actors
flubbing up their lines in a movie, Lara goofs up here and there in
parts of the game. Maybe she jumps and lands wrong, twists her foot,
and delivers a few "choice" words. Or maybe climbs up somewhere and
looks back and demands to know what's so funny as "the crew" starts
snickering. Eventually she discovers her shorts have a big revealing
rip and she turns a gentle shade of red. :)  Or better yet, with arms
akimbo, tells them--with a proper British accent of course: "Well, I
hope you all enjoyed the show. Now, if you don't mind I really think
I should change before going on." Followed by a cute smile and wink
over her shoulder as she walks off to her trailer. :)

I'd even be willing to pay extra for that, if it's done well. :)

-- G

> I like this one in Legend too. They look a lot
> alike. Yeah, changing Laras face is one consistent thing that's
> happened :)
> McG.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:35:08 PM

<rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message
> Well: the description and still images of TRAOD looked awesome also .
> We'll simply have to wait and see to find out if they took the
> complaints to heart . I hope - but somehow doubt it - we'll get a
> playable demo to download this time around so we can "try before we
> buy " .
>
> If the controls are as bad as TRAOD it'll be my last tomb raider game
> for sure ( regardless of what comes next ) .

Y'know, I used to think the same thing. But, no, I could never let Lara go.
Never!! Nevahhhh!

<snip>
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:55:10 PM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell"
snip
>> If you'd
>> like to have that vid again, I'll locate and post it in a.b.l-c.
>
> Thanks, but I've already got it. Don't let that stop you, others
> may not have seen it. (You're talking about that AoD interview
> out-takes, right?)
>
> -- G

yep, that be the one :)  Ok if anyone makes a fuss then I'll happily
upload it.
McG.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:34:45 AM

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>>
>>> "Gary Mitchell"
> snip
>>> If you'd
>>> like to have that vid again, I'll locate and post it in a.b.l-c.
>>
>> Thanks, but I've already got it. Don't let that stop you, others
>> may not have seen it. (You're talking about that AoD interview
>> out-takes, right?)
>>
>> -- G
>
> yep, that be the one :)  Ok if anyone makes a fuss then I'll happily
> upload it.
> McG.

Fuss, fuss, fuss.
Mean Marine
lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:24:55 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "Gary Mitchell"
> snip
> >> If you'd
> >> like to have that vid again, I'll locate and post it in a.b.l-c.
> >
> > Thanks, but I've already got it. Don't let that stop you, others
> > may not have seen it. (You're talking about that AoD interview
> > out-takes, right?)
> >
> > -- G
>
> yep, that be the one :)  Ok if anyone makes a fuss then I'll happily
> upload it.
> McG.

Why wait to be asked? There's not much else going on in that NG
anyway. Go for it. :)

(Might want to throw in the interview itself too, if you have it.)

-- G
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:20:57 PM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>> snip
>>>
>>> Thanks, but I've already got it. Don't let that stop you, others
>>> may not have seen it. (You're talking about that AoD interview
>>> out-takes, right?)
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> yep, that be the one :)  Ok if anyone makes a fuss then I'll happily
>> upload it.
>> McG.
>
> Why wait to be asked? There's not much else going on in that NG
> anyway. Go for it. :)
>
> (Might want to throw in the interview itself too, if you have it.)
>
> -- G

I'm looking for em, and I'm getting the sinking feeling they didn't make
it to a cd with the rest of the TR files ... lemme finish looking
through these cds though. :(
McG.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:35:13 PM

"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>> snip
>>>
>>> Thanks, but I've already got it. Don't let that stop you, others
>>> may not have seen it. (You're talking about that AoD interview
>>> out-takes, right?)
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> yep, that be the one :)  Ok if anyone makes a fuss then I'll happily
>> upload it.
>> McG.
>>
> Fuss, fuss, fuss.
> Mean Marine
> lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

Yaknow what I did? [scuse me, need a coffee for this one, mebbe with a
spike o rum!] {toddles into da kitchen...toddles back...sits down}

I...um...didn't see to it that all the vids in the tombraider archives
folders made it to a cd. All the GAME stuff is there...but no videos.

So, I spent about 5 mins and found it spoken of in a old ng post, and
went to the site...and Tombraider Chronicles still has it, and a couple
dozen other tombie vids. You should find that bloopers vid here:
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/theatre/hdtv_movies...

I just rescued it from there myself :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:11:34 PM

<rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message
> Well: the description and still images of TRAOD looked awesome also .
> We'll simply have to wait and see to find out if they took the
> complaints to heart . I hope - but somehow doubt it - we'll get a
> playable demo to download this time around so we can "try before we
> buy " .
>
> If the controls are as bad as TRAOD it'll be my last tomb raider game
> for sure ( regardless of what comes next ) .

So, ok...looky here:
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr7/e3_interview.ht...
Crystal Dynamics honcho speaks to these issues!
McG.

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:39:32 +1000, "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry>
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.tombnews.com/
>>
>> Especially note
>>
>> 'Return to the Tombs: Lara's new quest brings her to lost ancient
>> realms that guard the Secrets of the Past.'
>>
>> and
>>
>> 'Dynamic animation system puts focus on continuous motion, giving
>> lara the ability to seamlessly handle any obstacle and interact
>> dynamicly with any surface.
>> 'Move and shoot. Lara uses her physical prowess to combine gunplay
>> with unique signature moves.'
>>

>> So...speculation anyone?
>>
>> I'm assuming this indicates a) a return ye olde worlde raiding of
>> tombs (anyone up for a spot of adventuring Tibet style?) and b) they
>> realised how much we all (and I do mean all, don't I?) hated the
>> unresponsive, sluggish controls of AoD, and how saddened we were by
>> the inability to side- and backflip while shooting. IMHO, true
>> signatures of TR.
>>
>> I can still remember how surprising and joyful it was when I
>> realised Lara could continually push and pull in TR2, rather than
>> having to stop and start again as in TR1.
>> Maybe I can relive the experience in a whole new world....
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:20:58 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> <rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message
> > Well: the description and still images of TRAOD looked awesome also .
> > We'll simply have to wait and see to find out if they took the
> > complaints to heart . I hope - but somehow doubt it - we'll get a
> > playable demo to download this time around so we can "try before we
> > buy " .
> >
> > If the controls are as bad as TRAOD it'll be my last tomb raider game
> > for sure ( regardless of what comes next ) .
>
> So, ok...looky here:
> http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr7/e3_interview.ht...
> Crystal Dynamics honcho speaks to these issues!
> McG.

<checks out web page.>

Hmmm... Interesting.

> GameSpot: What are Lara's new weapons of choice?
>
> Riley Cooper: [snip] ... we've gone with a more realistic Lara so
> when she picks up a weapon she doesn't put it in her backpack of
> infinite space. She actually wears it. She can carry one weapon
> at a time but she can get any enemy weapon.

No more infinite backpack, apparently.

> GameSpot: How is Lara more realistic?
>
> Riley Cooper: In her model. If you look at her closely you'll see she has
> a collar bone, tendons, she's becoming like a real life person...

Sounds good. :)

> ... She's as real as you'd ever want Lara to be.

Well, I don't know about that! :/

> GameSpot: How will Lara's moves differ from previous games?
>
> Riley Cooper: If there is a surface, Lara can move on it. Slopes, ropes,
> ledges, ladders, poles. She's extremely mobile. She also moves very
> fluidly.

Nifty.

> She can also string together a series of moves to perform an action.

That sounds like it could be problematic, if it isn't
done well.

> She also controls very well.

Good. Apparently they learned a lesson from AoD.

> Riley Cooper: [snip] She's not about combat but she will fight to
> achieve her goals. This game gives players the chance to experience that.

When they say "more action," that usually means more shooting.
This implies more thought has gone into it.

> Riley Cooper: [snip] Previous games focused on blocks and switches. Pull
> a handle here and a door opens elsewhere. Now all the puzzles are relative
> to the area Lara is in.

Hasn't that usually been the case? Or does he mean that the "door
elsewhere" simply isn't far away?

> It's all large and physical, and Lara will interact with huge puzzles by
> un-jamming monster mechanisms to achieve goals. It's a challenge and it's
> intuitive.

Lara has dealt with large mechanism puzzles before.

> Overall there will be three difficulty levels. Each level will involve a
> different amount of risk. There will be checkpoints in the game so if you
> want to replay a level, you can.

Apparently we won't be limited to savegames. I wonder what exactly
they have in mind. Hopefully it won't be anything like those silly
save crystals.

> GameSpot: Lara has changed in her face, why ?
>
> Riley Cooper: We never set out to change her face. Toby Gard, the original
> architect of Lara, is on board, and he brought the character up to date.

He makes it sound almost like an accident. Things like that are
very carefully scrutinized.

> Riley Cooper: [snip] we're looking for a lot of replay. The game is about
> exploration and discovery, so they'll be goodies hidden throughout. Puzzles
> are also open-ended, and you can solve them in numerous ways.

This sounds very good.

> GameSpot: What of the additional characters in the game?
>
> Riley Cooper: Lara has a bad habit of killing those she encounters, so we've
> introduced new characters.

Why, so she can indulge her bad habit? :/

> There are some from the past as well. A new powerful nemesis will debut, a
> globetrotter just like Lara. The nemisis will also be searching for the same
> artifact Lara is, so Lara will have competition throughout her adventure.

That sounds familiar.

> There is a new female character to complete with Lara also...

Complete with? Sounds kinky. ;)

This sounds familiar too.

> Riley Cooper: We have a composer who is scoring the whole experience. It's like
> a movie score, dripping with emotion. The music has always scored well with fans
> of the series. We're not letting that down.

Good. I hope they don't blow it with the music. I think they
should try to use the original theme. They did that pretty
well through TR 5.

> Lara will still have her cheeky commentary, and will use a headset so she can
> talk to her tech team back at her mansion.

Hmmmm... That sounds familiar too.

> [snip] Crystal Dynamics have developed a streaming game engine, the sixth of
> its generation, which dumps redundant memory and enables higher details in what
> appears on the screen at any one time.

This sounds intriguing. I wonder what the minimum spec's are.

> GameSpot: Finally, what do you say to anyone who has lost faith in the series?
>
> Riley Cooper: First of all, I understand. You've played six games, and they're all
> basically the same.

That depends on your definition of "the same." It has been
the same kind of game, true... but that's why we like it.
If it were very different, it wouldn't be TR.

It seems to me people didn't seriously "lose faith" until AoD.
That's not a trivial point.

> We're going back to the tombs, she'll appear and control the way you've always
> wanted her to. I don't think you'll be missing anything. I think you'll be relieved.

Sounds hopeful... no more screwy controls.

-- G
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:10:25 PM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> <rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message
>>> Well: the description and still images of TRAOD looked awesome also
>>> . We'll simply have to wait and see to find out if they took the
>>> complaints to heart . I hope - but somehow doubt it - we'll get a
>>> playable demo to download this time around so we can "try before we
>>> buy " .
>>>
>>> If the controls are as bad as TRAOD it'll be my last tomb raider
>>> game for sure ( regardless of what comes next ) .
>>
>> So, ok...looky here:
>> http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr7/e3_interview.ht...
>> Crystal Dynamics honcho speaks to these issues!
>> McG.
>
> <checks out web page.>
>
> Hmmm... Interesting.
>

>> GameSpot: What are Lara's new weapons of choice?
>>
>> Riley Cooper: [snip] ... we've gone with a more realistic Lara so
>> when she picks up a weapon she doesn't put it in her backpack of
>> infinite space. She actually wears it. She can carry one weapon
>> at a time but she can get any enemy weapon.
>
> No more infinite backpack, apparently.

Nope, now we see that both you and PW can "have it your way" so to
speak.

>> GameSpot: How is Lara more realistic?
>>
>> Riley Cooper: In her model. If you look at her closely you'll see
>> she has a collar bone, tendons, she's becoming like a real life
>> person...
>
> Sounds good. :)
>
>> ... She's as real as you'd ever want Lara to be.
>
> Well, I don't know about that! :/

Right. Ha! Looking closely at the E3 ingame footage, they do have some
cleaning up to do with some of Laras moves. Like flying off one
horizontal pole to another, the engine automatically adjusted what look
like would be a miss to be a hit and she grabbed on. With about a five
foot displacement in space instantly. Some of her anims like hopping
down to a floor below and she has to catch herself, seems to complete
abruptly. I see some Idle Animation / Idle Mode stuff that looks good.

>> GameSpot: How will Lara's moves differ from previous games?
>>
>> Riley Cooper: If there is a surface, Lara can move on it. Slopes,
>> ropes, ledges, ladders, poles. She's extremely mobile. She also
>> moves very fluidly.
>
> Nifty.
>
>> She can also string together a series of moves to perform an action.
>
> That sounds like it could be problematic, if it isn't
> done well.
>
>> She also controls very well.
>
> Good. Apparently they learned a lesson from AoD.
>

>> Riley Cooper: [snip] She's not about combat but she will fight to
>> achieve her goals. This game gives players the chance to experience
>> that.
>
> When they say "more action," that usually means more shooting.
> This implies more thought has gone into it.

I'm hoping we will have LESS gunfighting Gary :-\

>> Riley Cooper: [snip] Previous games focused on blocks and
>> switches. Pull a handle here and a door opens elsewhere. Now all
>> the puzzles are relative to the area Lara is in.
>
> Hasn't that usually been the case? Or does he mean that the "door
> elsewhere" simply isn't far away?

I think they're referring to the classic Tombraider push button
switches, T-handle levers and push/pull blocks. AoD saw considerable
change in this. There are still plenty of buttons and switches, keys
and locks. But the blocks were more or less replaced by any number of
things. Boxes, wardrobe, chests, etc.

>> It's all large and physical, and Lara will interact with huge
>> puzzles by un-jamming monster mechanisms to achieve goals. It's a
>> challenge and it's intuitive.
>
> Lara has dealt with large mechanism puzzles before.

Yes, and look for "inline solutions to progress impediments" ;)
Half-Life 2 is a very physical world game, not just an FPS. I look to
see things like having to set up your path of travel. Situations like
getting a number of empty plastic barrels into an underwater cage to
float the high end of a boat jump ramp up high enough to clear a wall..
with an airboat :)  There was no other way to get the airboat over the
wall. little logistics problems. Big logistics problems. I guess that
means in a game, if it's something you have to find some solution to
it's a puzzle, right?

>> Overall there will be three difficulty levels. Each level will
>> involve a different amount of risk. There will be checkpoints in
>> the game so if you want to replay a level, you can.
>
> Apparently we won't be limited to savegames. I wonder what exactly
> they have in mind. Hopefully it won't be anything like those silly
> save crystals.

They said checkpoints. I hope they ALSO allow us to at the very least
have Quicksave and Quickload! Far Cry didn't unless you made a change
in the .ini file. HL2 and Doom3 both automatically save at specific
spots/moments. They both also have full save game slots and seperate
quick save/load function.

>> GameSpot: Lara has changed in her face, why ?
>>
>> Riley Cooper: We never set out to change her face. Toby Gard, the
>> original architect of Lara, is on board, and he brought the
>> character up to date.
>
> He makes it sound almost like an accident. Things like that are
> very carefully scrutinized.

No he's not, he's flat disclaiming responsibility for that! LOL! Gary!
Riley is saying they'd have kept (likely AoD) Laras looks except that
Toby himself "fixed it up", ergo brought the character up to date. It
sorta sounds like he has a fairly free hand in the matter of the
character.

yaknow, this has to be like a dream come true for Toby. That he stuck
to his guns all those years ago and simply left Core because he didn't
like where they were going with her; it's stood him in good stead :)

Toby has pointed out a few times, in a quiet and plain way, that though
he created the initial character Core OWNED that "property". It was his
job to create that kinda stuff for Core. Since he was working for a
company in that capacity, he doesn't have 'authors rights' either. He
had no claim to anything tangible.

>> Riley Cooper: [snip] we're looking for a lot of replay. The game
>> is about exploration and discovery, so they'll be goodies hidden
>> throughout. Puzzles are also open-ended, and you can solve them in
>> numerous ways.
>
> This sounds very good.

Yeah it DO! The Game Is About Exploration And Discovery! Music to my
ears!

>> GameSpot: What of the additional characters in the game?
>>
>> Riley Cooper: Lara has a bad habit of killing those she encounters,
>> so we've introduced new characters.
>
> Why, so she can indulge her bad habit? :/

Well, she gets shot at, she shoots back. Next.

>> There are some from the past as well. A new powerful nemesis will
>> debut, a globetrotter just like Lara. The nemisis will also be
>> searching for the same artifact Lara is, so Lara will have
>> competition throughout her adventure.
>
> That sounds familiar.

Them damn Atlanteans! Natla, the super be-yotch! Ooooh!

>> There is a new female character to complete with Lara also...
>
> Complete with? Sounds kinky. ;)

Heh... freudian slippage showing perhaps? (THEIRS Gary, theirs)

> This sounds familiar too.
>
>> Riley Cooper: We have a composer who is scoring the whole
>> experience. It's like a movie score, dripping with emotion. The
>> music has always scored well with fans of the series. We're not
>> letting that down.
>
> Good. I hope they don't blow it with the music. I think they
> should try to use the original theme. They did that pretty
> well through TR 5.

Haven't heard a thing of what the ingame score will be. Yet.

>> Lara will still have her cheeky commentary, and will use a headset
>> so she can talk to her tech team back at her mansion.
>
> Hmmmm... That sounds familiar too.

Like the TR movies. And our kicking ideas around in here :)

>> [snip] Crystal Dynamics have developed a streaming game engine,
>> the sixth of its generation, which dumps redundant memory and
>> enables higher details in what appears on the screen at any one
>> time.
>
> This sounds intriguing. I wonder what the minimum spec's are.
>
>> GameSpot: Finally, what do you say to anyone who has lost faith in
>> the series?
>>
>> Riley Cooper: First of all, I understand. You've played six games,
>> and they're all basically the same.
>
> That depends on your definition of "the same." It has been
> the same kind of game, true... but that's why we like it.
> If it were very different, it wouldn't be TR.

This is where I've seen they don't like the "Grid" system in all 5 of
the first games. AoD left that behind also. AoD is considered a failed
game. But it DOES have some good stuff in it. It just wasn't pulled
all together into one easily playable system.

> It seems to me people didn't seriously "lose faith" until AoD.
> That's not a trivial point.

We were left high and dry at the end of The Last Revelation. We're
still hanging there, waiting for the story of what happened. You
usually follow a cliffhanger with the ending, right? Going straight
off TR4 to AoD was maddening. It wasn't right, there was no sense of
contiguity. AoD was a different galaxy :o (

>> We're going back to the tombs, she'll appear and control the way
>> you've always wanted her to. I don't think you'll be missing
>> anything. I think you'll be relieved.
>
> Sounds hopeful... no more screwy controls.
>
> -- G
Indeed!
McG.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 10:38:18 PM

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, Dragoncarer mentioned

(snippage)

Pistol Whipped prayed:

>> Well, maybe ... for you ...
>>
>> ... wait, *what* am I saying! No, not for you, not for nobody ... not
>> no how!
>>
>> I won't listen to this siren's song! I can't! I won't!
>>
>> <cups hands over ears, and repeats loudly ... >
>>
>> "Our Lara who aren't in The Hall of Seasons, All Hallows be thy game.
>> Thy queendom come, thy flips be done, on PC as it is in Playstation."
>>

>lmao...okat this post is gettin' saved...I vote that's the official a.g.t
>prayer!

Of course, there's a more formal and ancient version.

A Croft Ritual for Lara's Protection and Success in the Level Ahead

Cast the Circle [1] and call the Quarters

Face the East:
I invite from the East the powers of Air which hold my breath and my
life.

Face the other quarters in deosil order [2]

In the South:
I invite from the South the powers of Fire which iluminate my path and
bring warmth.

in the West:
I invite from the West the powers of Water which cleanse my spirit as
my body.

In the North:
I invite from the North the powers of Earth which strengthen my body

Face the direction from which the powers come you anticipate you will
most need in the tomb level ahead, (Air, Fire, Water, Earth)
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and arms stretched up and out.

"Hear me, Mother of All who watches and protects.
Maiden, Mother and Crone, you are all of these and more.
I seek guidance and protection in the level ahead.
Strengthen my limbs and ensure my aim,
Replenish my Will and guide my path.
Enhance my agility and lead me to secrets.

This I ask for the love we bear each other."

Open the Circle
Facing the direction you started in, stand with feet together (relaxed
- not rigid), forearms crossed and closed (not clenched) fists just
below each shoulder.

"Mother of All, I thank you for your presence.
I thank you for your guidance and protection in all things.
Powers of Earth, Air, Fire and Water,
I thank you for your gifts as in the past, so in the future.
Merry did we meet, merry shall we part and yet merry shall we meet
again."

Bow.

This will end the ritual.

Notes:
1 The Circle is *always* started in the East and cast by pointing
the right forefinger at the ground and walking deosil.
2 Deosil or sunwise direction follows the apparent path of the Sun
as it moves during the day. Note that this is first toward the South
in the Northern Hemisphere, but first toward the North in the Southern
Hemisphere. Deosil is therefore *opposite* in the two Earthly
hemispheres.

..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 10:51:58 AM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> >> Riley Cooper: [snip] She's not about combat but she will fight to
> >> achieve her goals. This game gives players the chance to experience
> >> that.
> >
> > When they say "more action," that usually means more shooting.
> > This implies more thought has gone into it.
>
> I'm hoping we will have LESS gunfighting Gary :-\

That's part of what I meant. He didn't just say "more action."
Actually, I'm not sure what he means. Evidently there's going to
be some shooting. That bit about "she will fight to achieve her
goals" worries me a little. Does that mean if someone gets in the
way, she kills him/her, even if they aren't a threat? That has
happened before--and IMO was among the worst parts of the game.

> >> Riley Cooper: [snip] Previous games focused on blocks and
> >> switches. Pull a handle here and a door opens elsewhere. Now all
> >> the puzzles are relative to the area Lara is in.
> >
> > Hasn't that usually been the case? Or does he mean that the "door
> > elsewhere" simply isn't far away?
>
> I think they're referring to the classic Tombraider push button
> switches, T-handle levers and push/pull blocks. AoD saw considerable
> change in this. There are still plenty of buttons and switches, keys
> and locks. But the blocks were more or less replaced by any number of
> things. Boxes, wardrobe, chests, etc.

There are a lot of things they could do like that. In previous games,
there was relatively little Lara could do with her surroundings.
There'd be a switch or block here and there, but not very often.
It would be nice if they did something about that. I don't mean more
switches and blocks, but a more interactive environment.

> >> It's all large and physical, and Lara will interact with huge
> >> puzzles by un-jamming monster mechanisms to achieve goals. It's a
> >> challenge and it's intuitive.
> >
> > Lara has dealt with large mechanism puzzles before.
>
> Yes, and look for "inline solutions to progress impediments" ;)
> Half-Life 2 is a very physical world game, not just an FPS. I look to
> see things like having to set up your path of travel. Situations like
> getting a number of empty plastic barrels into an underwater cage to
> float the high end of a boat jump ramp up high enough to clear a wall..
> with an airboat :)  There was no other way to get the airboat over the
> wall. little logistics problems. Big logistics problems. I guess that
> means in a game, if it's something you have to find some solution to
> it's a puzzle, right?

Yep. Having to figure something out, to me, is far more interesting
than simply having to shoot your way out of a situation.

[snip]
> >> GameSpot: Lara has changed in her face, why ?
> >>
> >> Riley Cooper: We never set out to change her face. Toby Gard, the
> >> original architect of Lara, is on board, and he brought the
> >> character up to date.
> >
> > He makes it sound almost like an accident. Things like that are
> > very carefully scrutinized.
>
> No he's not, he's flat disclaiming responsibility for that! LOL! Gary!
> Riley is saying they'd have kept (likely AoD) Laras looks except that
> Toby himself "fixed it up", ergo brought the character up to date. It
> sorta sounds like he has a fairly free hand in the matter of the
> character.

I interpret it to mean that changing Lara's face wasn't the original
plan, but they decided to do it anyway at some point along the way.

> yaknow, this has to be like a dream come true for Toby. That he stuck
> to his guns all those years ago and simply left Core because he didn't
> like where they were going with her; it's stood him in good stead :)

I don't know about that. TR/Lara has done pretty well, up to AoD.
And AoD didn't fall flat because of anything they did to Lara that
Toby didn't like. So, I really don't think he can feel justified
in any way. The fact that he was available says something too.
As I understand it, he was off on his own making the kind of game
he wanted. If he is so wonderful at doing things like that, why
isn't he too busy to come back and work on TR 7?

> Toby has pointed out a few times, in a quiet and plain way, that though
> he created the initial character Core OWNED that "property". It was his
> job to create that kinda stuff for Core. Since he was working for a
> company in that capacity, he doesn't have 'authors rights' either. He
> had no claim to anything tangible.

Of course, he was a hired pen. :)  The same is true in most industries.
Engineers who develop innovative circuits or chips may get a bonus,
but their company owns it.

> >> GameSpot: What of the additional characters in the game?
> >>
> >> Riley Cooper: Lara has a bad habit of killing those she encounters,
> >> so we've introduced new characters.
> >
> > Why, so she can indulge her bad habit? :/
>
> Well, she gets shot at, she shoots back. Next.

That's not what I mean. I have no problem at all with Lara
defending herself. But that's not the point.

> >> There are some from the past as well. A new powerful nemesis will
> >> debut, a globetrotter just like Lara. The nemisis will also be
> >> searching for the same artifact Lara is, so Lara will have
> >> competition throughout her adventure.
> >
> > That sounds familiar.
>
> Them damn Atlanteans! Natla, the super be-yotch! Ooooh!

I was thinking of Bartoli, but yeah, her too.

Maybe they're talking about Seth! :)  Didn't Natla and Bartoli
get it in the end? But Seth, on other hand... ;)

> >> There is a new female character to complete with Lara also...
> >
> > Complete with? Sounds kinky. ;)
>
> Heh... freudian slippage showing perhaps? (THEIRS Gary, theirs)

I was thinking maybe they were coming out with a new kind of
Atlantian Lara. ;)

> >> Lara will still have her cheeky commentary, and will use a headset
> >> so she can talk to her tech team back at her mansion.
> >
> > Hmmmm... That sounds familiar too.
>
> Like the TR movies. And our kicking ideas around in here :)

I was thinking of Lara's comrade in the last level of TR 5.

[snip]
> >> Riley Cooper: First of all, I understand. You've played six games,
> >> and they're all basically the same.
> >
> > That depends on your definition of "the same." It has been
> > the same kind of game, true... but that's why we like it.
> > If it were very different, it wouldn't be TR.
>
> This is where I've seen they don't like the "Grid" system in all 5 of
> the first games. AoD left that behind also. AoD is considered a failed
> game. But it DOES have some good stuff in it. It just wasn't pulled
> all together into one easily playable system.
>

> > It seems to me people didn't seriously "lose faith" until AoD.
> > That's not a trivial point.
>
> We were left high and dry at the end of The Last Revelation. We're
> still hanging there, waiting for the story of what happened. You
> usually follow a cliffhanger with the ending, right? Going straight
> off TR4 to AoD was maddening. It wasn't right, there was no sense of
> contiguity. AoD was a different galaxy :o (

Yeah, that's unforgivable. I wonder what they were thinking... or
smoking. :/

And now, what will we see? I doubt they'll revisit that cliff hanger,
not after all this time. But, you never know.

-- G

> >> We're going back to the tombs, she'll appear and control the way
> >> you've always wanted her to. I don't think you'll be missing
> >> anything. I think you'll be relieved.
> >
> > Sounds hopeful... no more screwy controls.
> >
> > -- G
> Indeed!
> McG.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:25:53 AM

> McGrandpa wrote:
> >
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > > When they say "more action," that usually means more shooting.
> > > This implies more thought has gone into it.
> >
> > I'm hoping we will have LESS gunfighting Gary :-\
>
> That's part of what I meant. He didn't just say "more action."
> Actually, I'm not sure what he means. Evidently there's going to
> be some shooting. That bit about "she will fight to achieve her
> goals" worries me a little. Does that mean if someone gets in the
> way, she kills him/her, even if they aren't a threat? That has
> happened before--and IMO was among the worst parts of the game.

Uhm...have another look at the second trailer from Gamespot...you'll notice
Lara uses weaponry quite extensively, but she also explores with no fighting
for quite some time as well. What's most worrying is what looked like a
Turret gun...erm....

<SNIP>

> > > -- G
> > Indeed!
> > McG.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 10:52:15 AM

Dragoncarer wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> > >
> > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > > I'm hoping we will have LESS gunfighting Gary :-\
> >
> > That's part of what I meant. He didn't just say "more action."
> > Actually, I'm not sure what he means. Evidently there's going to
> > be some shooting. That bit about "she will fight to achieve her
> > goals" worries me a little. Does that mean if someone gets in the
> > way, she kills him/her, even if they aren't a threat? That has
> > happened before--and IMO was among the worst parts of the game.
> >

> Uhm...have another look at the second trailer from Gamespot...you'll notice
> Lara uses weaponry quite extensively, but she also explores with no fighting
> for quite some time as well. What's most worrying is what looked like a
> Turret gun...erm....
>
> <SNIP>

> > > Indeed!
> > > McG.

It's very hard to draw many conclusions based on a couple of trailers.

-- G
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:57:09 PM

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> McGrandpa wrote:
snip

>> Does that sound like a smart move to you? If this guy is so
>> excellent, like everyone is making him out to be, then what the
>> hell is he doing? Abandoning *his* game and new company? It
>> doesn't make any sense. And so, part of my point is: perhaps he
>> is being given too much credit.
>>
>> From what I've read about the creation of TR 1, I understand Toby
>> was just a graphics artist who was given the task of coming up with
>> the character for TR 1. He didn't make the whole game. But from
>> some of the things I've been reading lately, one could get the
>> impression he did.
>>
>> Now, I don't mean to belittle him or his work. But I question
>> whether his being on the CD team is the panacea everyone is making
>> it out to be.
>>

> I'm tempted to agree.
> They make a big deal out of TG because he worked on the TR1....so
> much of the hype regarding this is obviously to encourage all of us
> that have been playing TR for so long (ie., since the start) to
> believe that TG's return also means a return to the magic of TR1 that
> we all fell in love with.

Yeah, I am and have been thinking since I heard TG was signing on that
it is really a "PR" kind of thing by EIDOS, trying things to salvage the
sinking boat. Thing is, regardless of Eidos' reasons, I'd say TG came
in to do some work :)  Nuthin wrong with that. Eidos doesn't build
games. Eidos doesn't code, draw, animate a damn thing. Eidos supplies
funding. Eidos also supplies a chain and collar.

snip

McG.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:06:01 AM

> Dragoncarer wrote:
> >
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > > That's part of what I meant. He didn't just say "more action."
> > > Actually, I'm not sure what he means. Evidently there's going to
> > > be some shooting. That bit about "she will fight to achieve her
> > > goals" worries me a little. Does that mean if someone gets in the
> > > way, she kills him/her, even if they aren't a threat? That has
> > > happened before--and IMO was among the worst parts of the game.
> > >

> > Uhm...have another look at the second trailer from Gamespot...you'll
notice
> > Lara uses weaponry quite extensively, but she also explores with no
fighting
> > for quite some time as well. What's most worrying is what looked like a
> > Turret gun...erm....
> >
> > <SNIP>

> It's very hard to draw many conclusions based on a couple of trailers.

That's right.
At the same time, a trailer is intended to give the audience inventives to
buy the game. A *good* trailer should attempt to include as wide a
'snapshot' of the final game as can be possible. Of course, that isn't
always the case and we often get trailers for games that are completely
different in style, gameplay and story.

It shall be interesting to note what TRL will indeed be like.

Any discussion on TRL until then can only really be speculation. Even hard
facts can be changed before final retail versions.

> -- G
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:06:02 AM

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Dragoncarer wrote:
>>>
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Uhm...have another look at the second trailer from
>>> Gamespot...you'll notice Lara uses weaponry quite extensively, but
>>> she also explores with no fighting for quite some time as well.
>>> What's most worrying is what looked like a Turret gun...erm....
>>>
>>> <SNIP>

>> It's very hard to draw many conclusions based on a couple of
>> trailers.
>
> That's right.
> At the same time, a trailer is intended to give the audience
> inventives to buy the game. A *good* trailer should attempt to
> include as wide a 'snapshot' of the final game as can be possible. Of
> course, that isn't always the case and we often get trailers for
> games that are completely different in style, gameplay and story.
>
> It shall be interesting to note what TRL will indeed be like.
>
> Any discussion on TRL until then can only really be speculation. Even
> hard facts can be changed before final retail versions.
>

>> -- G

And there are already some apparently "hard facts" I hope will see some
changes, corrections, smoothing out before we see our own copy of the
final retail version! :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:16:38 AM

> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> >> It's very hard to draw many conclusions based on a couple of
> >> trailers.
> >
> > That's right.
> > At the same time, a trailer is intended to give the audience
> > inventives to buy the game. A *good* trailer should attempt to
> > include as wide a 'snapshot' of the final game as can be possible. Of
> > course, that isn't always the case and we often get trailers for
> > games that are completely different in style, gameplay and story.
> >
> > It shall be interesting to note what TRL will indeed be like.
> >
> > Any discussion on TRL until then can only really be speculation. Even
> > hard facts can be changed before final retail versions.
> >

> >> -- G
>
> And there are already some apparently "hard facts" I hope will see some
> changes, corrections, smoothing out before we see our own copy of the
> final retail version! :)
> McG.

Ooooooooo juicy bitching! What things would you like to see changed?
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:16:39 AM

>> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> That's right.
>>> At the same time, a trailer is intended to give the audience
>>> inventives to buy the game. A *good* trailer should attempt to
>>> include as wide a 'snapshot' of the final game as can be possible.
>>> Of course, that isn't always the case and we often get trailers for
>>> games that are completely different in style, gameplay and story.
>>>
>>> It shall be interesting to note what TRL will indeed be like.
>>>
>>> Any discussion on TRL until then can only really be speculation.
>>> Even hard facts can be changed before final retail versions.

>> And there are already some apparently "hard facts" I hope will see
>> some changes, corrections, smoothing out before we see our own copy
>> of the final retail version! :)
>> McG.
>>

> Ooooooooo juicy bitching! What things would you like to see changed?

Fix all the Lara model mesh deformation problems. There are a number of
them I've seen so far. Shoulders, thigh/pelvis joint, knees, elbows.
The usual ones modellers hate :)
It takes time and careful, patient perseverance to correct all the flaws
in a medium to high polycount mesh.
McG.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:18:05 AM

> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >> McGrandpa wrote:
> snip
>

> >> Does that sound like a smart move to you? If this guy is so
> >> excellent, like everyone is making him out to be, then what the
> >> hell is he doing? Abandoning *his* game and new company? It
> >> doesn't make any sense. And so, part of my point is: perhaps he
> >> is being given too much credit.
> >>
> >> From what I've read about the creation of TR 1, I understand Toby
> >> was just a graphics artist who was given the task of coming up with
> >> the character for TR 1. He didn't make the whole game. But from
> >> some of the things I've been reading lately, one could get the
> >> impression he did.
> >>
> >> Now, I don't mean to belittle him or his work. But I question
> >> whether his being on the CD team is the panacea everyone is making
> >> it out to be.
> >>

> > I'm tempted to agree.
> > They make a big deal out of TG because he worked on the TR1....so
> > much of the hype regarding this is obviously to encourage all of us
> > that have been playing TR for so long (ie., since the start) to
> > believe that TG's return also means a return to the magic of TR1 that
> > we all fell in love with.
>
> Yeah, I am and have been thinking since I heard TG was signing on that
> it is really a "PR" kind of thing by EIDOS, trying things to salvage the
> sinking boat. Thing is, regardless of Eidos' reasons, I'd say TG came
> in to do some work :)  Nuthin wrong with that. Eidos doesn't build
> games. Eidos doesn't code, draw, animate a damn thing. Eidos supplies
> funding. Eidos also supplies a chain and collar.

Darn tootin'. I think it's an important distinction that many people fail to
realise, or just simply aren't aware of...

> snip
>
> McG.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:14:31 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

[snip]

> The only game I know of he had a 'company' formed for was Galleon. It's
> been out for close to two years now? Indications are, Toby was in idle
> mode.

I don't pretend to know all about how a start-up game company
works, but it seems to me the only reason someone in his position
would be idle at this time is because the game didn't sell and the
new company died on the vine. That's not very encouraging. Maybe
he just got in over his head.

-- G
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:27:07 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >> McGrandpa wrote:
> snip
>
> >> Does that sound like a smart move to you? If this guy is so
> >> excellent, like everyone is making him out to be, then what the
> >> hell is he doing? Abandoning *his* game and new company? It
> >> doesn't make any sense. And so, part of my point is: perhaps he
> >> is being given too much credit.
> >>
> >> From what I've read about the creation of TR 1, I understand Toby
> >> was just a graphics artist who was given the task of coming up with
> >> the character for TR 1. He didn't make the whole game. But from
> >> some of the things I've been reading lately, one could get the
> >> impression he did.
> >>
> >> Now, I don't mean to belittle him or his work. But I question
> >> whether his being on the CD team is the panacea everyone is making
> >> it out to be.
> >>

> > I'm tempted to agree.
> > They make a big deal out of TG because he worked on the TR1....so
> > much of the hype regarding this is obviously to encourage all of us
> > that have been playing TR for so long (ie., since the start) to
> > believe that TG's return also means a return to the magic of TR1 that
> > we all fell in love with.
>
> Yeah, I am and have been thinking since I heard TG was signing on that
> it is really a "PR" kind of thing by EIDOS, trying things to salvage the
> sinking boat. Thing is, regardless of Eidos' reasons, I'd say TG came
> in to do some work :)  Nuthin wrong with that. Eidos doesn't build
> games. Eidos doesn't code, draw, animate a damn thing. Eidos supplies
> funding. Eidos also supplies a chain and collar.

Not any more, if the reports are true. I have to say: I didn't shed
too many tears when I read the Eidos board all resigned. All indications
are that AoD's failures had a lot to do with pressure from above (Eidos).
The question now is what will SCi do? Are they going to be a better
master? Last I heard, Core had been reduced to a skeleton company.

-- G
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:30:47 PM

Dragoncarer wrote:

> > "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > > That's right.
> > > At the same time, a trailer is intended to give the audience
> > > inventives to buy the game. A *good* trailer should attempt to
> > > include as wide a 'snapshot' of the final game as can be possible. Of
> > > course, that isn't always the case and we often get trailers for
> > > games that are completely different in style, gameplay and story.
> > >
> > > It shall be interesting to note what TRL will indeed be like.
> > >
> > > Any discussion on TRL until then can only really be speculation. Even
> > > hard facts can be changed before final retail versions.

> > And there are already some apparently "hard facts" I hope will see some
> > changes, corrections, smoothing out before we see our own copy of the
> > final retail version! :)
> > McG.
> >

> Ooooooooo juicy bitching! What things would you like to see changed?

Bigger bouncier boobs! :p

Sorry. :)

-- G
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:30:53 PM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>

> [snip]
>
>> The only game I know of he had a 'company' formed for was Galleon.
>> It's been out for close to two years now? Indications are, Toby
>> was in idle mode.
>
> I don't pretend to know all about how a start-up game company
> works, but it seems to me the only reason someone in his position
> would be idle at this time is because the game didn't sell and the
> new company died on the vine. That's not very encouraging. Maybe
> he just got in over his head.
>
> -- G

TG isn't heading up anything. I've seen no pretense to his being CEO
material or anything :)  As you said, he was a hired pen at Core. It
appears that he is in a similar position at CD now. It wouldn't
surprise me if he didnt have the particular guff needed to run an entire
project. I think that folks are generally reading more into Toby than
was ever given. He's got a bit of the limelight. We've known for ages
now that Toby penned Lara for TR1. He didn't stick around for the
riches, yet Core (Smiths) did give him his due credit as the artist with
an idea that worked out to be BIG. That managers do this for hirelings
is unusual in my experience, I'd say they sounded rather proud of him.
McG.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:33:34 PM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> snip

>>> I'm tempted to agree.
>>> They make a big deal out of TG because he worked on the TR1....so
>>> much of the hype regarding this is obviously to encourage all of us
>>> that have been playing TR for so long (ie., since the start) to
>>> believe that TG's return also means a return to the magic of TR1
>>> that we all fell in love with.
>>
>> Yeah, I am and have been thinking since I heard TG was signing on
>> that it is really a "PR" kind of thing by EIDOS, trying things to
>> salvage the sinking boat. Thing is, regardless of Eidos' reasons,
>> I'd say TG came in to do some work :)  Nuthin wrong with that.
>> Eidos doesn't build games. Eidos doesn't code, draw, animate a damn
>> thing. Eidos supplies funding. Eidos also supplies a chain and
>> collar.
>
> Not any more, if the reports are true. I have to say: I didn't shed
> too many tears when I read the Eidos board all resigned. All
> indications are that AoD's failures had a lot to do with pressure
> from above (Eidos). The question now is what will SCi do? Are they
> going to be a better master? Last I heard, Core had been reduced to
> a skeleton company.
>
> -- G

And, most of the people that were the Tombraider team left Core. Pretty
much to create a new development enterprise. I'd seen mention of a name
Jeremy said they were calling it now. Forgot what it was. It isn't CD
tho :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:35:27 PM

> Dragoncarer wrote:
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message

>>> And there are already some apparently "hard facts" I hope will see
>>> some changes, corrections, smoothing out before we see our own copy
>>> of the final retail version! :)
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Ooooooooo juicy bitching! What things would you like to see changed?
>
> Bigger bouncier boobs! :p
>
> Sorry. :)
>
> -- G

Yep, a natural movement to all body parts :)  Ah, and here we guys are,
GirlWatching a bunch of pixels :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:51:16 AM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
> >
> > "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > snip

> > > I'm tempted to agree.
> > > They make a big deal out of TG because he worked on the TR1....so
> > > much of the hype regarding this is obviously to encourage all of us
> > > that have been playing TR for so long (ie., since the start) to
> > > believe that TG's return also means a return to the magic of TR1 that
> > > we all fell in love with.
> >
> > Yeah, I am and have been thinking since I heard TG was signing on that
> > it is really a "PR" kind of thing by EIDOS, trying things to salvage the
> > sinking boat. Thing is, regardless of Eidos' reasons, I'd say TG came
> > in to do some work :)  Nuthin wrong with that. Eidos doesn't build
> > games. Eidos doesn't code, draw, animate a damn thing. Eidos supplies
> > funding. Eidos also supplies a chain and collar.
>
> Not any more, if the reports are true. I have to say: I didn't shed
> too many tears when I read the Eidos board all resigned. All indications
> are that AoD's failures had a lot to do with pressure from above (Eidos).
> The question now is what will SCi do? Are they going to be a better
> master? Last I heard, Core had been reduced to a skeleton company.
>
> -- G

Pressure in the sense that 'finish this game now, so we can sorta fudge the
boos before the end of fiscal year'. AFAIA there was no content/ creative
pressure...even Eidos wouldn't do that I would think. Eidos are there to
produce, publish, advertise, market and so on.

Regarding Core...well as I'm sure you know they don't do TR anymore. And
Core isn't/ wasn't their flagship/wildcard developer either. As far as I'm
concerned, I couldn't give diddlysquat about Core now that they don't do TR!
;)

I'd say - along with other reasons I've raised - the Eidos board resigned
because Eidos is now a daughter company. The real management of Eidos will
be undertaken by SCi. Eidos will be SCi. But SCi will keep the Eidos brand,
just like Eidos kept the Core brand, and some company bought the Atari band.

It's all about the brand.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:51:59 AM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Dragoncarer wrote:
> >
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message

Of

Even

> > > And there are already some apparently "hard facts" I hope will see
some
> > > changes, corrections, smoothing out before we see our own copy of the
> > > final retail version! :)
> > > McG.
> > >

> > Ooooooooo juicy bitching! What things would you like to see changed?
>
> Bigger bouncier boobs! :p

lmao...shoulda seen _that_ one coming!

> Sorry. :)
>
> -- G
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:00:24 AM

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> >> snip

> >> Yeah, I am and have been thinking since I heard TG was signing on
> >> that it is really a "PR" kind of thing by EIDOS, trying things to
> >> salvage the sinking boat. Thing is, regardless of Eidos' reasons,
> >> I'd say TG came in to do some work :)  Nuthin wrong with that.
> >> Eidos doesn't build games. Eidos doesn't code, draw, animate a damn
> >> thing. Eidos supplies funding. Eidos also supplies a chain and
> >> collar.
> >
> > Not any more, if the reports are true. I have to say: I didn't shed
> > too many tears when I read the Eidos board all resigned. All
> > indications are that AoD's failures had a lot to do with pressure
> > from above (Eidos). The question now is what will SCi do? Are they
> > going to be a better master? Last I heard, Core had been reduced to
> > a skeleton company.
> >
> > -- G
>
> And, most of the people that were the Tombraider team left Core. Pretty
> much to create a new development enterprise. I'd seen mention of a name
> Jeremy said they were calling it now. Forgot what it was. It isn't CD
> tho :)
> McG.

CiRCLE Studio.

www.circle-studio.com
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:00:25 AM

>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Not any more, if the reports are true. I have to say: I didn't
>>> shed too many tears when I read the Eidos board all resigned. All
>>> indications are that AoD's failures had a lot to do with pressure
>>> from above (Eidos). The question now is what will SCi do? Are they
>>> going to be a better master? Last I heard, Core had been reduced to
>>> a skeleton company.
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> And, most of the people that were the Tombraider team left Core.
>> Pretty much to create a new development enterprise. I'd seen
>> mention of a name Jeremy said they were calling it now. Forgot what
>> it was. It isn't CD tho :)
>> McG.
>>

> CiRCLE Studio.
>
> www.circle-studio.com

Oh right. Got one title due out published by Capcom for console only.
Meh :\
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:03:52 AM

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>>
>>> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
>>> snip

>>> Yeah, I am and have been thinking since I heard TG was signing on
>>> that it is really a "PR" kind of thing by EIDOS, trying things to
>>> salvage the sinking boat. Thing is, regardless of Eidos' reasons,
>>> I'd say TG came in to do some work :)  Nuthin wrong with that.
>>> Eidos doesn't build games. Eidos doesn't code, draw, animate a
>>> damn thing. Eidos supplies funding. Eidos also supplies a chain
>>> and collar.
>>
>> Not any more, if the reports are true. I have to say: I didn't shed
>> too many tears when I read the Eidos board all resigned. All
>> indications are that AoD's failures had a lot to do with pressure
>> from above (Eidos). The question now is what will SCi do? Are they
>> going to be a better master? Last I heard, Core had been reduced to
>> a skeleton company.
>>
>> -- G
>
> Pressure in the sense that 'finish this game now, so we can sorta
> fudge the boos before the end of fiscal year'. AFAIA there was no
> content/ creative pressure...even Eidos wouldn't do that I would
> think. Eidos are there to produce, publish, advertise, market and so
> on.
>
> Regarding Core...well as I'm sure you know they don't do TR anymore.
> And Core isn't/ wasn't their flagship/wildcard developer either. As
> far as I'm concerned, I couldn't give diddlysquat about Core now that
> they don't do TR! ;)
>
> I'd say - along with other reasons I've raised - the Eidos board
> resigned because Eidos is now a daughter company. The real management
> of Eidos will be undertaken by SCi. Eidos will be SCi. But SCi will
> keep the Eidos brand, just like Eidos kept the Core brand, and some
> company bought the Atari band.
>
> It's all about the brand.

Nah, it's all about the game to me. That CD was handed the franchise on
a platter, with a menu of course, but with a blank slate to start off
with, I had my doubts. I suppose I should still have some doubts. But
the screenshots look good and the trailers are promising. The Flash
anims actually make me wonder if they're taken from the genuine article.
The mesh deformations are still messed up the 2nd time in the first one.
McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:05:12 AM

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Dragoncarer wrote:
>>>
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Ooooooooo juicy bitching! What things would you like to see changed?
>>
>> Bigger bouncier boobs! :p
>
> lmao...shoulda seen _that_ one coming!
>

>> Sorry. :)
>>
>> -- G

selectable wardrobe, bathing in the creek, skinny dipping? LOL!
McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 3:49:21 AM

Dragoncarer wrote:

> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > > Not any more, if the reports are true. I have to say: I didn't shed
> > > too many tears when I read the Eidos board all resigned. All
> > > indications are that AoD's failures had a lot to do with pressure
> > > from above (Eidos). The question now is what will SCi do? Are they
> > > going to be a better master? Last I heard, Core had been reduced to
> > > a skeleton company.
> > >
> > > -- G
> >
> > And, most of the people that were the Tombraider team left Core. Pretty
> > much to create a new development enterprise. I'd seen mention of a name
> > Jeremy said they were calling it now. Forgot what it was. It isn't CD
> > tho :)
> > McG.
> >

> CiRCLE Studio.
>
> www.circle-studio.com

Too bad they couldn't take TR/Lara with them. It'd be interesting
to see what they'd do without any corporate overhead.

-- G
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:17:26 AM

Dragoncarer wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Dragoncarer wrote:
> > >
> > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

> chance

> the

> Of

> Even

> some
> > > >

> > > Ooooooooo juicy bitching! What things would you like to see changed?
> >
> > Bigger bouncier boobs! :p
>
> lmao...shoulda seen _that_ one coming!

It was set up so nicely, couldn't help it. ;)

-- G

> > Sorry. :)
> >
> > -- G
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:25:31 AM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Dragoncarer wrote:
> >>
> >> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Ooooooooo juicy bitching! What things would you like to see changed?
> >
> > Bigger bouncier boobs! :p
> >
> > Sorry. :)
> >
> > -- G
>
> Yep, a natural movement to all body parts :)

Should we throw in a rounder wigglier butt too? ;)

Hmmmm... On second thought, a hypnotically swaying backside
might be too distracting in some situations. Especially if
they have the same chase-ass camera as in the earlier TR's. :/
Ah, but it might be worth it... what's a few extra reloads. ;)

This kinda reminds me of an *old* DOS game called Battle Chess.
Ever heard of it? The pieces were characters that walked around
the board and attacked each other (as the case dictated). The
queen had quite a nice wiggle. ;)

I don't know this for sure, but strongly suspect that hologram
chess game (with the alien pieces) on the Millennium Falcon in
Star Wars inspired Battle Chess.

They've probably got some amazing chess games out now... maybe
I should look into it.

> Ah, and here we guys are,
> GirlWatching a bunch of pixels :)
> McG.

That was the original intent, I think... at least in part.
At the time, I don't recall seeing *anything* on the shelves
that came close to the box cover of TR 1. ;)

I think the *real* actual good idea Toby came up with, that
Core liked, was the character. The raiding of tombs was a
distant second. It could have been buxom Lara in some other
exploration adventure game and we'd still be here. :)
Well, maybe not *here*... it'd be alt.games.somethingelse.

-- G
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:30:43 AM

> Dragoncarer wrote:
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> And, most of the people that were the Tombraider team left Core.
>>> Pretty much to create a new development enterprise. I'd seen
>>> mention of a name Jeremy said they were calling it now. Forgot
>>> what it was. It isn't CD tho :)
>>> McG.
>>>

>> CiRCLE Studio.
>>
>> www.circle-studio.com
>
> Too bad they couldn't take TR/Lara with them. It'd be interesting
> to see what they'd do without any corporate overhead.
>
> -- G

Like finish AoD to start with?
McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:35:32 AM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> >> Bigger bouncier boobs! :p
> >
> > lmao...shoulda seen _that_ one coming!
> >

> >> Sorry. :)
> >>
> >> -- G
>
> selectable wardrobe, bathing in the creek, skinny dipping? LOL!
> McG.

Oh, hey, there ya go! :)  Especially the way Lara swims... and
the typical chase cam. Hmmmm... ;)  Some of us would spend *way*
too much time swimming, I'd venture to guess. ;)

It would mean having to change the rating of the game from teen to
adult though. That would probably work these days--there are lots
of "mature" rated games out now anyway, nearly all for violence. :/
Why not try to balance it out a little with a skinny dipping Lara,
yes? ;)

<braces for impact> :)

-- G
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 5:16:46 AM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Bigger bouncier boobs! :p
>>>
>>> Sorry. :)
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> Yep, a natural movement to all body parts :)
>
> Should we throw in a rounder wigglier butt too? ;)
>
> Hmmmm... On second thought, a hypnotically swaying backside
> might be too distracting in some situations. Especially if
> they have the same chase-ass camera as in the earlier TR's. :/
> Ah, but it might be worth it... what's a few extra reloads. ;)
>
> This kinda reminds me of an *old* DOS game called Battle Chess.
> Ever heard of it? The pieces were characters that walked around
> the board and attacked each other (as the case dictated). The
> queen had quite a nice wiggle. ;)
>
> I don't know this for sure, but strongly suspect that hologram
> chess game (with the alien pieces) on the Millennium Falcon in
> Star Wars inspired Battle Chess.
>
> They've probably got some amazing chess games out now... maybe
> I should look into it.
>
>> Ah, and here we guys are,
>> GirlWatching a bunch of pixels :)
>> McG.
>
> That was the original intent, I think... at least in part.
> At the time, I don't recall seeing *anything* on the shelves
> that came close to the box cover of TR 1. ;)
>
> I think the *real* actual good idea Toby came up with, that
> Core liked, was the character. The raiding of tombs was a
> distant second. It could have been buxom Lara in some other
> exploration adventure game and we'd still be here. :)
> Well, maybe not *here*... it'd be alt.games.somethingelse.
>
> -- G

I agree, from all we hear about what Adrian (especially him!) has to say
about it, he picked up on the adventuring woman- Indianna Jones-ette
part and sort of forgot about anything else :-\ whereas Toby suggested
"..a swashbuckling adventure-ESS exploring pyramids and stuff.." then
"..they've already done the adventuring with a guy in Indianna Jones,
but not with a woman in the leading role.."
So we know where Adrians mind is :o )) In his office, we see a life size
Lara Croft figurine.
actually, its one of those 'lifelike love dolls' that looks like Lara :)
Toby or anyone else may well have some great ideas, but Adrian and
Jeremy were Core, and everyone did what they wanted done. So we got
meaty beaty big and bouncy *LARA!*
We can scratch my thought that CD might have the complete Lara model
materiel from AoD. I've now seen it spoken plainly that "not one line
of code is Core" which puts moot to that idea.
Yeah, we'd still be here even if a different name :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:38:25 AM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> lmao...shoulda seen _that_ one coming!

>> selectable wardrobe, bathing in the creek, skinny dipping? LOL!
>> McG.
>
> Oh, hey, there ya go! :)  Especially the way Lara swims... and
> the typical chase cam. Hmmmm... ;)  Some of us would spend *way*
> too much time swimming, I'd venture to guess. ;)
>
> It would mean having to change the rating of the game from teen to
> adult though. That would probably work these days--there are lots
> of "mature" rated games out now anyway, nearly all for violence. :/
> Why not try to balance it out a little with a skinny dipping Lara,
> yes? ;)
>
> <braces for impact> :)
>
> -- G

That sounds great to me! LOL! has she ever learned to do the
backstroke? I do hope we have the classic Lara signature Swan Dive and
Pullup Handstand :)  It would be a shame to lose those! Maybe they can
get it so we have a command line input so we can type commands to Lara
too. Like in Guild Wars. It'd be a fun distraction for when we're
about braindead from solving puzzles and jumping chasms and fighting
baddies.
One thing that'd be nice is to always have an option to just have Lara
"Go Home" and we're back at the mansion :)

So WHAT if all that means it takes us a couple years to actually
complete the game. What's the hurry? If THIS one is as good as they
say it will be, then CD has a customer for as long as they keep makin
good Lara Croft: Tombraider games. After all, we're fans of Lara and
Tombin, not a company.
McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 11:07:45 AM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 00:17:26 GMT, Gary Mitchell
<wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote:

>Dragoncarer wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>> chance

>> the

>> Of

>> Even

>> some

>> > Bigger bouncier boobs! :p
>>
>> lmao...shoulda seen _that_ one coming!
>
>It was set up so nicely, couldn't help it. ;)
>
> -- G
>

>> > Sorry. :)
>> >
>> > -- G

If I'm not mistaken I saw her fiddling with her hair in that new
trailer already ( and the stretching bit in the 3d screenie was also a
new "move " ) . I'm pretty sure they'll add some of those nifty
things like the swan-dive also .In that 2nd trailer she certainly
seems to move more natural than in TRAD.

Looks promising.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:32:11 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Dragoncarer wrote:
> >>
> >> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> CiRCLE Studio.
> >>
> >> www.circle-studio.com
> >
> > Too bad they couldn't take TR/Lara with them. It'd be interesting
> > to see what they'd do without any corporate overhead.
> >
> > -- G
>
> Like finish AoD to start with?
> McG.

Sure. And I wouldn't be the only one who'd buy a remake of
TR 1 too. :)

There's two games right there they could put out with only a
fraction of the effort of a whole new game.

-- G
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:43:55 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message

> >> selectable wardrobe, bathing in the creek, skinny dipping? LOL!
> >> McG.
> >
> > Oh, hey, there ya go! :)  Especially the way Lara swims... and
> > the typical chase cam. Hmmmm... ;)  Some of us would spend *way*
> > too much time swimming, I'd venture to guess. ;)
> >
> > It would mean having to change the rating of the game from teen to
> > adult though. That would probably work these days--there are lots
> > of "mature" rated games out now anyway, nearly all for violence. :/
> > Why not try to balance it out a little with a skinny dipping Lara,
> > yes? ;)
> >
> > <braces for impact> :)
> >
> > -- G
>
> That sounds great to me! LOL! has she ever learned to do the
> backstroke?

<throws hands over mouth> MMMMMMffffff.... bbbRRRRVVVSssssssskkkkk...
BREASTSTROKE! :p

Sorry, couldn't hold that one in. ;)

> I do hope we have the classic Lara signature Swan Dive and
> Pullup Handstand :)  It would be a shame to lose those!

Now that you mention it, I suspect we can forget about everything
like that. It's supposed to be a completely new game, starting
from scratch. Maybe they'll throw in something new.

> Maybe they can
> get it so we have a command line input so we can type commands to Lara
> too. Like in Guild Wars. It'd be a fun distraction for when we're
> about braindead from solving puzzles and jumping chasms and fighting
> baddies.
> One thing that'd be nice is to always have an option to just have Lara
> "Go Home" and we're back at the mansion :)

If there even is a Lara's home in this one. :/

-- G

> So WHAT if all that means it takes us a couple years to actually
> complete the game. What's the hurry? If THIS one is as good as they
> say it will be, then CD has a customer for as long as they keep makin
> good Lara Croft: Tombraider games. After all, we're fans of Lara and
> Tombin, not a company.
> McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:54:42 PM

> On Wed, 25 May 2005 00:17:26 GMT, Gary Mitchell
> <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> Dragoncarer wrote:
>>>
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> lmao...shoulda seen _that_ one coming!
>>
>> It was set up so nicely, couldn't help it. ;)
>>
>> -- G

> If I'm not mistaken I saw her fiddling with her hair in that new
> trailer already ( and the stretching bit in the 3d screenie was also a
> new "move " ) . I'm pretty sure they'll add some of those nifty
> things like the swan-dive also .In that 2nd trailer she certainly
> seems to move more natural than in TRAD.
>
> Looks promising.

Yeah, more natural is the key. In AoD Lara seemed so stiff. And
sluggish.
McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:56:11 PM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Too bad they couldn't take TR/Lara with them. It'd be interesting
>>> to see what they'd do without any corporate overhead.
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> Like finish AoD to start with?
>> McG.
>
> Sure. And I wouldn't be the only one who'd buy a remake of
> TR 1 too. :)
>
> There's two games right there they could put out with only a
> fraction of the effort of a whole new game.
>
> -- G

Me too! I'd scarf up both in a heartbeat! "Laras World" DVD 1 thru 9
:o ))
McG.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 3:01:41 PM

> McGrandpa wrote:

snip

>>> <braces for impact> :)
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> That sounds great to me! LOL! has she ever learned to do the
>> backstroke?
>
> <throws hands over mouth> MMMMMMffffff.... bbbRRRRVVVSssssssskkkkk...
> BREASTSTROKE! :p

Careful Gary, you'll blow your ears out!

> Sorry, couldn't hold that one in. ;)

AS we are hoping she doesn't :)  (hold em in that is!)

>> I do hope we have the classic Lara signature Swan Dive and
>> Pullup Handstand :)  It would be a shame to lose those!
>
> Now that you mention it, I suspect we can forget about everything
> like that. It's supposed to be a completely new game, starting
> from scratch. Maybe they'll throw in something new.

Now that would be a total bummer. Lara without the Swan Dive or the
pullup handstand?!?!?! UNthinkable! :(

>> Maybe they can
>> get it so we have a command line input so we can type commands to
>> Lara too. Like in Guild Wars. It'd be a fun distraction for when
>> we're about braindead from solving puzzles and jumping chasms and
>> fighting baddies.
>> One thing that'd be nice is to always have an option to just have
>> Lara "Go Home" and we're back at the mansion :)
>
> If there even is a Lara's home in this one. :/

AW MAN! The more we look at this "start from scratch" stuff the more
dismal it's lookin. Well, we can HOPE....
McG.

!