My current build is 6 years old or so, single core AMD 3500+ and an AGP graphics card, so this will be a huge upgrade!
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week OR beginning of September
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies while gaming on 32 inch hdtv, encoding/transcoding/rendering(whatever it's called) video (sometimes on the fly to the PS3), web browsing
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: KB, mouse, speakers, monitor
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, whatever is cheapest
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: None
OVERCLOCKING: Yes (first time)
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: In the future
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680 x 1050 for now (which is overpowered by this build).
Total price with shipping: $1,613.45 (+$30 for Hyper 212 from Amazon.com)
Right now I'm using 2 monitors for work/browsing, just the one for gaming, with a 32 inch hdtv to the left to watch movies/tv shows through the PS3 from files on my external hdd.
Future plans for next 6 months: Get a larger primary monitor to pair with my 1680x1050, crossfire another 5870 if I feel I need it, get a SSD for OS/Games/Apps if prices become reasonable.
1. Would there be any advantage waiting until September to order my build, i.e. any new important tech coming out? September is about the longest I can wait.
2. Is my power supply a good choice and can it power two 5870s?
3. How's my RAM choice, anything better/cheaper for same performance?
4. Does the WD hard drive have an advantage with it's 64 mb cache, or is there no noticeable difference?
5. Do I need to order thermal paste too or does it come with the aftermarket cpu cooler?
6. Recommendations for gaming monitors good for this build that are a good bang for the buck.
7. Any other recommendations you'd like to make!
Thanks for your time and insights, it's much appreciated!
if you want to cut some cash, look at my thread; it's right below this one (well..not anymore, but it was). I started out with a $1600 budget but by changing some stuff around I was able to save a few hundred bucks and put that money into a better display.