Sign in with
Your question

Crucial m4, 830 or something else instead?

Last response: in Storage
August 18, 2012 6:36:37 PM

Hey guys, I was looking at some SSD's and the ones that have the best reviews for the 64gb models are the samsung 830 and the crucial m4.

Why aren't those ssd's included in the article for the best ssd's for the money? The other ssd's featured in that article don't seem too reliable in the reviews.

Also, if I have to choose between the 830 and the m4, which one should I go for? The m4 has more reviews and costs $10 less, but has 20mb/s less read and 70mb/s less write speed. Also, it has 30k less 4KB Random Read. Not sure if that affects anything though.

More about : crucial 830

a c 154 G Storage
August 18, 2012 7:06:21 PM

The reality is, that all modern SSD's perform about the same in actual desktop operations.
Do not put too much value in synthetic benchmarks. Benchmark apps drive the ssd to it's max using queue lengths of 30 or so. We do things mostly one at a time.

What WILL matter, is how near capacity the ssd is filled. I would seriously consider a ssd that is nearer 80 or 120gb if you think a 64gb(59gb useable) sssd will get filled past the 48gb point.

As to brands, read this good review of the Intel 330 series:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5817/the-intel-ssd-330-re...

I think intel and samsung 830 are the ones to buy from a reliability point of view.
If a ssd doesn't work well, you will have paid too much.
a c 311 G Storage
August 18, 2012 9:28:48 PM

^ +1

Pretty much any SSD is a huge improvement over an HDD but it would be best to get enough capacity as prices have really come down. I buy Intel, Samsung, and Crucial M4 drives. My latest build was with a 256gb M4 and it seems to be doing well so far, but my Intel 80gb drives from 3 years ago are still awesome -- never a problem and they still seem as fast as any others that I've used. Benchmarks are useful for those who like benchmarks, but pretty much any reliable SSD is fine.
Related resources
August 20, 2012 12:12:49 AM

Thank you guys. I'm on a limited budget. And I would like to add that I want to use this SSD for Z68 caching.

Right now I'm leaning towards the intel 330, but I remember the 830 getting a lot of praise in an older tomshardware review. Any other suggestions or advice before I buy it?
a c 311 G Storage
August 20, 2012 12:18:43 AM

I would wait and save up until you can get an SSD to use as an OS and main program drive. I would not buy one just for caching, not enough improvement to be worth the money.

While Intel has spent a lot to push this idea, it is not really that helpful and if you do it, there seems to be little advantage to use anything more than a very small SSD, like 30gb range.

I have a number of machines with old 80gb Intel X25M drives and that is plenty of drive size for the OS and quite a few programs if properly optimized, as described here: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/...
a c 154 G Storage
August 20, 2012 12:20:19 AM

Think carefully about how you will use the ssd as a cache.
It can be good in the right situation, but generaly, I think it best to use a ssd for the os if you can.
Be prepared to change your plan if need be.
August 20, 2012 1:09:35 AM

Thank you guys so much for your input again.

I am looking at this SSD right now. It's cheaper than any of my previous choices when it comes to GB per dollar and it has good reviews. Since you just changed my mind, is there anything else I should know before ordering this one?
a b G Storage
August 20, 2012 1:33:46 AM

While I wouldn't argue against getting that ssd since, in real-world applications, they're all about the same - I would wait if you can. Often times in tom's daily deals, they have 120-128gb ssd's on sale for ~$90-95. I've seen samsung 830 128gb one's on sale there.

However, if you are in somewhat of a hurry to get your ssd, I still think the one you linked is still a really great ssd. I don't know about its long-term reliability though (Look to intel and samsung for that).
a c 311 G Storage
August 20, 2012 1:39:24 AM

psychoholicx said:
Thank you guys so much for your input again.

I am looking at this SSD right now. It's cheaper than any of my previous choices when it comes to GB per dollar and it has good reviews. Since you just changed my mind, is there anything else I should know before ordering this one?
That's a very good drive, but prices on all drives change daily, so if you are partial to a particular drive wait a few days and it will be on sale.
!