Sign in with
Your question

Hard disk swapping

Last response: in Storage
August 18, 2012 11:18:01 PM

Recently I swapped an old working IDE hard drive from an old working computer to another working computer.The drive was detected by the bios. But I could not open the data on it. So I tried to install the operating system anew on the drive. but Both Ubuntu and windows Xp failed halfway. what can be the reason?can somebody explain it?

More about : hard disk swapping

August 19, 2012 2:15:14 AM

That.. Title..

Any how, it's possible the drive itself is failing however - did you format the hard drive? just making sure.
a c 113 G Storage
August 19, 2012 2:27:01 AM

torgan man!!!! heheh with the ide drive is it one the ide o channel by itself or is there another hard drive or cd-rom?? if there another hard drive it could be that the old drive and the new drive controllers are not playing nice. try moving the other data drive to another ide port. if it just the hard drive and a cd-rom drive make sure the jumper on the hard drive is master. on older system dell and hp they were cable select and not master/slave. if the drive it by itself do and fidsk and fdisk/mbr and a format to see if there any bad sectors on the hard drive if there is one. then formating the drive will mask it out so windows can install.
Related resources
August 19, 2012 11:52:48 AM

Kiiro Neko said:
That.. Title..

Any how, it's possible the drive itself is failing however - did you format the hard drive? just making sure.

Dear adviser,
How can I format the hard drive with out an operating system on it? Windows XP installation disc does not format it.Installation fails without formatting the drive?please advice me what to do? Is there any other way to format it?
August 19, 2012 11:54:35 AM

Dear adviser,
How can I format the hard drive with out an operating system on it? Windows XP installation disc does not format it.Installation fails without formatting the drive?please advice me what to do? Is there any other way to format it?
August 19, 2012 12:04:53 PM

Check your jumper settings! For a master (alone) you either need a jumper in a certain position or NO jumper. Chances are, your old computer required a different jumper on the drive due to a different mix of drives.
Read the top of the drive to see the jumper chart.

If you really want to format the drive though, one of the easiest methods would be to use a linux live CD (puppy linux, for example). Boot off of that and format the hard drive to NTFS or FAT32.

Yeah, I know you are probably running windows. Only, even if you have the proper windows cd to boot off of (for formatting), windows is really slow...could take hours to format the drive. Linux will format it in minutes.
August 19, 2012 1:32:33 PM

davec80 said:
Check your jumper settings! For a master (alone) you either need a jumper in a certain position or NO jumper. Chances are, your old computer required a different jumper on the drive due to a different mix of drives.
Read the top of the drive to see the jumper chart.

If you really want to format the drive though, one of the easiest methods would be to use a linux live CD (puppy linux, for example). Boot off of that and format the hard drive to NTFS or FAT32.

Yeah, I know you are probably running windows. Only, even if you have the proper windows cd to boot off of (for formatting), windows is really slow...could take hours to format the drive. Linux will format it in minutes.

Dear Friend
I tried Ubuntu too . Installation failed when I was halfway through.It crashed after I allocated installation space ( 250 GB out of 500 GB Hrad Disc ) and assigning swap area.Another information : There was only one hard disc in the old computer. and hence the jumper was set to master position .Is it likely the hard disc is corrupted? Any advice/suggestion is welcomed
a c 113 G Storage
August 19, 2012 2:14:11 PM

if you put a new hard drive into an old mb chances are the mb has a drive size limit and your new drive not being seen right. you can check if there a mb bios update for your old mb. if not you may have to make two partion on one drive to use the full size on an old pc.
a c 351 G Storage
August 19, 2012 4:14:24 PM

Try using your windows 7 disk, not to install the OS, But just use it to remove any and all disk partitions on it.
Insert Win 7 DVD, select Custom Install. on page showing the HDD, remove all partitions - Do NOT create new ones, just exit install, reboot But stop Boot process, ie pop win7 installation disk then use power off button.

another alternative is to use Diskpart. This can be accessed off of the windows 7 Installation disk. BUT read Up on he cmd line switches. also DO not have other HDDs attached.
SEE: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&cp=5...

For accessing from Win 7 DVD: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/119713-diskpart-pc...

a b G Storage
August 19, 2012 5:31:42 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Nikorr
!