Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge Motherboard recommendations?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 23, 2011 5:02:53 PM

Hello,

Pretty much have all the parts I want sorted out except I'm pretty clueless when it comes to picking out a motherboard. I've seen lots of threads about motherboards with Crossfire recommendations, but very few on someone who only needs a slot for a single board. Of course, if the price is similar then it doesn't really matter.

Aproximate Purchase Date: by the end of March

Budget Range: $800 - $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: OS, Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: Intel/Nvidia

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: i5 5200k, GTX 560ti, 4GB RAM (need 4 slots for option to upgrade to 8GB in the future)

Thanks in advance.

Related resources
March 24, 2011 1:00:05 AM

with how cheap ram is why not just buy a 8gb (2x4gb) kit?

also you cant go wrong with msi or asus.
m
l
a c 154 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 1:51:22 AM

I've built plenty of gaming systems. You've got a pretty solid PC build there.

*I recommend you spend roughly $150 on a motherboard. Go to NCIX and compare models. Often the more expensive models have little extra value, but the cheaper models sacrifice quality, particularly with cheaper capacitors (capacitors have a life expectancy. Cheap ones are close to 5 years, more expensive ones closer to 15 years).

Go with Asus, Gigabyte or MSI. Options like USB3 and eSATA are nice but can be added later with PCIe cards if needed.

I do recommend you get both SLI and Crossfire capability as the cost nowadays isn't much different but it leaves your options open not just for SLI or Crossfire but also for LucidLogix (once LucidLogix gets going properly).

*LucidLogix is going to be creating graphics cards with a chip inside which enables you to mix NVidia and AMD graphics cards in the future. It doesn't utilize Crossfire/SLI but it does require at least two high-bandwidth (i.e. x8) PCIe slots which you typically only find in SLI/Crossfire motherboards. http://www.lucidlogix.com/videos.html

For example, in two you could add a card with a LucidLogix chip inside but also keep your existing 560 card rather than throwing it away.
m
l
January 11, 2013 10:55:51 PM

Try this site for some great recommendations for Sandy Bridge Computers. These things can really perform well.
m
l
a c 154 V Motherboard
January 12, 2013 12:57:21 PM

GrantMech said:
Try this site for some great recommendations for Sandy Bridge Computers. These things can really perform well.

Um, check the DATE dude...
m
l
!