• Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • OCZ
  • Vertex
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 19, 2012 2:28:53 AM

Hi all,

Struggling with what should be a simple choice.. Looking at the following options:

Option1
1x 64GB OCZ Vertex 4 (Windows) + 1x 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 (Games and programs)

Option2
1x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 (everything) + 1TB mechanical for storage

Is there any point in having two SSD's with the OS separate from programs?

Cheers

More about : tow ssd ssd hdd

a b G Storage
August 19, 2012 2:54:38 AM

Here is a great SSD that you can use for your OS and software, it's less than 1 dollar per GB.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Force-Series-2-5-Inch-CSS...

You can also just get something cheaper like this which should be more than enough:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Force-2-5-Inch-Solid-CSSD...

Games don't typically need a SSD(would make a very minor difference), I suggest you install steam on your storage drive by following this procedure and you'd have them all backed up.

Quote:

How do I install games on a different hard drive or location?

I'd like to have Steam install my games on a different location on my hard drive or to a different drive altogether. How can I do this?

Steam installs to the following folder by default:

C:\Program Files\Steam

Files for games installed on Steam are stored in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\

During the installation of Steam, you have the option to install Steam to a location other than the default. Since Steam relies on the game files residing in the SteamApps folder, your game files will go to whatever folder you have Steam installed in. The game files must be in the SteamApps folder in order to function.

Moving Your Steam Installation
Warning:

It is highly recommended that you create a backup of your SteamApps folder before attempting this process. Neglecting to do so may result in a loss of all of your game content should something go wrong.

If you're low on space on the drive you have Steam installed, you can move the Steam folder to a different location. Here's an example of how to move the Steam installation between two hard drives:

Log out and exit Steam
Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
Launch Steam
Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play
All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\

m
l
August 19, 2012 3:32:27 AM

Hey ftevolution,

Well sometimes simple choices are the hardest ones ^^

I would recommend you go with what edogawa mentioned above or on my own term, I would have asked you to go with your Option 2 which is always more practical when you ask me.

SSD in general is always going to speed your things up, specially when it comes to booting time, shutting down time, opening programs faster but it's drawback is that it is costly, while on the other hand HDD is more practical to use when you have things to store, you can also install games in your HDD without any problems. The difference in gaming is minor when compared side to side in terms of SSD and HDD. So Have your operating system installed in your SSD and all the other files in your HDD.

My Option for you :

SSD - http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Force-2-5-Inch-Solid-CSSD...

HDD - http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST2000DM001-Barracuda-3-5...

Hope you like it ^^
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2012 4:11:47 AM

Thanks guys, perhaps I can trouble you for some additional critique on these two drives and how you think they will synergise in a new rig (all prices are in NZD):

Corsair Force Series GT - Solid state drive - 120 GB - internal - 2.5" - SATA-600, $195

WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX - Hard drive - 1 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-600 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 64 MB, $171

How good are the Corsair Force GT compared with OCZ Vertex 4 and Kingston Hyper X?

I realise that I do not need the latest and greatest of drives as these are HUGE upgrades to my current (5 year old) system, but advice would be much appreciated.
m
l

Best solution

August 19, 2012 4:46:21 AM

No problem brother ^^ So you're upgrading or building a new rig but whatever it maybe, the decision is going to be same and to the point.

Well I am okay with the HDD, as I myself use Western Digital HDD for storage and other things, so the HDD is perfect than the others available in the market. I wouldn't recommend anything else over it. So basically that is a good choice.

But if you ask me about the SSD, I am not quite sure about that even though Corsair is one of the trusted brands when it comes to SSD's, I tend to go with OCZ over Corsair because OCZ perfomance wise is Superior to Corsair. And not just the other OCZ SSD's but the OCZ Vertex 4 is in a league of it's own. I am not being discriminating but I have used most of the SSD's in the Market from Samsung to OCZ. Every one of them is different but when it comes to Competition, The Best in the market is OCZ, second comes the Intel Solid State Drives and than Corsair but if you're on a budget and want a decent SSD, the Corsair SSD that you listed is good enough for your rig. I really hate Kingston O_O No offence but it just doesn't work for me.

This is the Boss -

And This Will Satisfy your Rig nevertheless -

August 19, 2012 5:12:19 AM

Cheers for the advice. Here's the rig I am looking to build..

Asus M5A97 Evo motherboard
AMD FX-8150 CPU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 RAM
Corsair Hydro Series H70 liquid cooling
Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-63055 PSU
Antec One Case
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus Xonar DG Sound Card
Samsung SH-222AB DVD/RW
Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5 GFX card

That comes out to $1855

Now, I have an option:

Sidegrade the CPU to an FX-4170 for $77 saving, total $1778. Higher clocks but only 4 cores.

Is the higher base clock going to be any better than 8 cores at lower speed? I will be OC'ing the CPU either way, which will go faster?

As a note, I went the M5A97 Evo because I will never need to run SLI (never wanted to because any time I need a GFX upgrade I get a new single card opposed to another the same).

That said, would I be better off with a 7870 over the GTX 560 Ti?
m
l
August 19, 2012 5:12:59 AM

Best answer selected by ftevolution.
m
l
August 19, 2012 5:55:15 AM

ftevolution said:
Cheers for the advice. Here's the rig I am looking to build..

Asus M5A97 Evo motherboard
AMD FX-8150 CPU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 RAM
Corsair Hydro Series H70 liquid cooling
Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-63055 PSU
Antec One Case
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus Xonar DG Sound Card
Samsung SH-222AB DVD/RW
Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5 GFX card

That comes out to $1855

Now, I have an option:

Sidegrade the CPU to an FX-4170 for $77 saving, total $1778. Higher clocks but only 4 cores.

Is the higher base clock going to be any better than 8 cores at lower speed? I will be OC'ing the CPU either way, which will go faster?

As a note, I went the M5A97 Evo because I will never need to run SLI (never wanted to because any time I need a GFX upgrade I get a new single card opposed to another the same).

That said, would I be better off with a 7870 over the GTX 560 Ti?

Well I would recommend you to Sidegrade down to an FX-4170 since, you wouldn't want to have 8 cores unless you do some serious video & sound editing or working with 3d Rendering things, it's only than that you would prefer for a higher core CPU but for day to day basis an FX-4170 is Superb enough for High Settings Gaming and Day to Day Work BUT if you want and wouldn't mind spending that extra $77 you might as well get that FX-8150 not because it may be faster, but for the fact that since you're upgrading to a newer rig, you would want a rig to run at it's peak for another 2-3 years at MAX, so go with FX-8150 if you want but the thing is High demanding games like Crysis 2 with HD Textures, Metro Last Night and Battlefield 3 will use a Maximum of 4 cores, so having 8 cores is a benefit or boon depending on your habit. If you're like me who loves to Multi task, go with FX-8150. Next comes the Higher Base Clock reading of the Two Processors, like I mentioned the choosing of processor will depend on how you are going to use it, If for high end gaming and normal day to day work FX-4170 with Over Clocking is more than enough for you, but if you're into this editing and meshing stuff, you should opt for a Higher Core CPU, like FX-8150 with Over Clocking.

Perfomance Wise with Over Clocking, the Fastest & Wisest choice will be -

I agree with your decision brother, You don't go for an SLI setting unless you're using Split Screen to play games so a single powerful card is always Better when it comes to Normal Usage & Ultra/High settings gaming with a Single Screen. In which case I would recommend you to go with -

For further Comparison between the two Cards, See this Post : http://www.hwcompare.com/12209/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-ra...

and btw your New Computer will be a Beast bro ^^
m
l
August 19, 2012 10:33:14 AM

Cheers Ralph, it has been difficult to get advice that doesn't end with "lol FX, get an i5!" your advice has been extremely helpful.

Looking very much forward to this new rig, 5 years between upgrades is far too long haha!
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:14:38 AM

No problem brother =] I know half the people I also know tend to do the same, just because people have been using intel for a longer time, they feel somewhat cheated or whatever whenever you talk to them about AMD. Me on the other hand, I am an open guy, I embrace technology. I am the type of person who believe that AMD can swipe of Intel of it's feet, just like Samsung swiped off Nokia and Apple out of the way with their new smart phones. So technology is not owned by just a single person or company or brand. So when people ask me, I genuinely say you have options around you why do you go always with what other people says, sometimes try to do some things your way and see for yourself. The same case goes for AMD, If I say AMD is better than Intel. Intel fanboys will come running and sh*t the hell out of me, just like BF3 and COD MW 3 fanboys =P You know the usual trolls you see on the 'net xD

And I appreciate, Hope to help you more in the future if ever needed bro and yep it's a long time but now with your new rig. I am sure you will be okay for another 2-3 years ^^ Cheers and *Brofist*

m
l
!