Random freezing, help with windows 7

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hey, I recently got a certified refurbished computer from HP. Its the HPE-410f. Here are the specs on it: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02481315&lc=en&cc=us&destPage=document&dlc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen I am running everything at normal speeds and everything on my computer is "stock" except my 500gb external harddrive.

Ive been recently having some errors where the computer will freeze completely. I cannot move the mouse or open task manager, so I have to hold down the power button and restart the computer. The freezing happens at random times when Im just surfing the web or listening to music. Not when Im using alot of memory up. It will just freeze completely and if there is sound it will loop the audio until I shut the computer off with the power button. I looked in the event viewer and it show the "kernel-power 41 (63)" but Im pretty sure this error is from me powering off the system with holding the power button down.

One time it froze for about 5 seconds, I got the blue screen, then the system restarted itself. I looked in my event viewer after and it showed these errors:
2q84kdz.png

I ran the sfc /scannow in cmd and it said it found and fixed a couple of files. But I still got the freezing again.
I also downloaded memtest86, ran it and let it make 2 passes and it was clean with no errors.

So now I am kind of stumped. I think it might have to do something with windows 7. The only thing is that with this system being a refurb from HP, it already came with win7 installed, so I dont have any of the disc for it.

How would I go about trying to repair this or what else should I try to test? Any help would be great :bounce:

You bought it from hp, correct ?

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/cs/home_b.html

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I bought it from a different store but it came with all the HP certified paper work.

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
It crashed again and I did a little more browsing in event viewer and I see the error coming up sometimes:

Event 20. WHEA-logger
"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: 11
Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information."

and also this one:

Event 11. Disk
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk4\DR4."

The first error is indicative of a memory problem, but may also be motherboard related. OR May be a chipset or BIOS upgrade needed. Here is similar problem.
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=319&threadid=118481

Second message: )DR4) - DR normally refers to "Drive Removable". If you have any USB flash/pen/memory cards, unplug them to see if this error goes away

Apparently whoever refurbished the machine needs to run some diagnostics on it.

Hope this helps.... Ken

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Thanks for the link. I ran the memtest86 and it made 2 clean passes. So Im pretty sure that my processor and RAM are good. Also I just updated all my AMD drivers so I will see if that maybe solved the problem.

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
It froze again and I cannot figure out what is causing it. The only error that comes up in the event logger is the kernel-power and it is from me having to hold the button to power down. It doesnt log anything else. It just freezes up completly and I cant do anything but hold down the power button and restart.

as soon as windows start pull up task manager and let it run on the resource tab, full screen. If you a freezing, you should be able to see something running 100% of your cpu. Also, what all do you have in your startup, which you could eliminate, to run immediately that you do not really need?

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

The only thing I have in my startup is my avg antivirus protection.

So your saying to open the resource monitor and when it freezes look and see what is using up the most memory?

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I had the resource monitor open, and instead of freezing, the computer just shut off and restarted.

Upon logging back in I got the "Windows has recovered from and unexpected shutdown" screen. Here are the details on what happened:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA80079FF8F8
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\110111-27019-01.dmp
C:\Users\start\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-96627-0.sysdata.xml

If that helps anyone who is trying to help me.

Not when Im using alot of memory up. It will just freeze completely and if there is sound it will loop the audio until I shut the computer off with the power button.

Ok, I've run into this before. This basically means you have a significant memory subsystem problem. I've seen this before, and the majority of the time, its a northbridge problem. Coincidentally:

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: 11
Processor ID: 0

Which points to a problem on the northbridge side of things. So my first thoughs are either overheating, or possibly not enough voltage.

Farther, BCCode 124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (0x124), which points again to hardware.

I've seen this problem using two different PC's: One was due to overheating [my old Pentium D system], one was due to a crappy northbridge [my old nforce 790i series motherboard].

So my question: What is your motherboard, what are you northbridge/RAM voltages, and what is your northbridge temperature?

Ok, temps look fine, so its not overheating. I'm suspecting a northbridge problem though...

Go into the BIOS and check the voltage the northbridge is currently receiving. May simply need an extra .1V of juice.

Also, how many DIMMS of RAM are you using, and at what voltage? RAM might need a voltage boost as well for stability...

These types of problesm are VERY hard to track down, but hard OS locks like you are having are almost always due to serious memory related issues, and based from past experiance, I'd say the northbridge is very likely the canadate. Might want to head to a more dedicated support forum for this one...

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I cant seem to find the section in the BIOS where it shows the voltages or speeds of the cpu. Do you have to unlock this feature since its a prebuilt computer?

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
It froze on my again, and I went to restart it and now the system wont boot. My screen stays black and my keyboard wont come on. I can hear the fans running but nothing comes up on the screen.

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I unplugged the power cord for a good hour and then tried to restart the computer. It works now, but what could have caused the problem of it not booting at all?

kyle_t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Little update on the problem:

I did a clean install of windows 7. Still experienced the freezing/crashing.

Ran memtest86, with 3 passes on each ram stick in different slots. No errors, but still have the problem.

I updated all my drivers. And it just froze again and instead of just freezing the screen did this:
14y5n4x.gif

This again sounds like how my old PC was acting...

I've seen enough to blame the mobo on this one. I recommend testing on another motherboard.