Sign in with
Your question
Solved

24/7 operation or dailly shut down?

Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2010 3:40:50 PM

I know this may sound like a ridiculous question, but I must ask anyway since I've been getting conflicting advice from friends and pc enthusiasts alike. I just finished with my latest build, the most recent of about 5 total pc's I have built, and my question is it better for the longevity of the components to shut down the system after use, or leave it running 24/7, I also want to consider power saving and other considerations, any and all advice would be appreciated, my system specs are under my member info, thanks

More about : operation dailly shut

Best solution

a c 103 B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2010 11:17:50 PM

24/7 is going to shorten the life of components, as an example lifetime of cooling fans is measured in running hrs, Capacitors age and so on. Shutting of the computer will safe power.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2010 11:25:38 PM

Supposedly the stresses of turning the stuff on and off shortens life of components.

But really now, we're talking years and years anyway so it doesn't much matter.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2010 11:33:10 PM

I leave my computer on 24/7 and just let it sleep as necessary.

I don't think that leaving it on will appreciably shorten the life of the components. This fan I have sitting in front of me has an estimated lifetime of 50,000 hours. That's 5 years of 24/7 operation in normal people time. Unsure what other components are rated at, but you might expect something similar.

However, you are going to use less energy if you shut down...though if you really want to save energy, completely unplug it too, as most modern electronics still draw a little power while "turned off".
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2010 12:09:26 AM

This question pops up here about every other month. And it goes back about 30 years to the birth of the IBM PC.

I have several desktop systems. I leave my workhorse system running 24/7 except for when I go on vacation. Been running fine for about 6 years. I also have a torrent box I leave running all the time. I turn on my gaming and multimedia system when I need to.
m
l
June 25, 2010 1:14:44 AM

This is a gaming system in question, that is using a velociraptor hdd isn't that the component that is supposed to be stressed from turning on/off the most
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2010 1:20:27 AM

Hard drives used to see wear & tear from stopping & starting, due to how the heads were parked. I believe that's no longer a huge issue.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2010 1:25:57 AM

Actually it's becoming more of one with green drives and whatnot starting to turn off on their own all the time. All in the name of saving pennies a year.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2010 1:29:27 AM

Right, but they park heads differently than they used to, from what I understand. There's still a risk, but it's not as bad as it used to be.
m
l
June 25, 2010 3:29:50 AM

I turn of my PC when I'm not using it since I pay roughly $0.19 - $0.22 per KWH.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2010 7:11:02 AM

That makes a big difference. I am living and working in Saudi Arabia. My company pays my utility bills. :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2010 7:17:58 AM

I turn mine off because with an SSD boot up is so quick it's not a bother! :) 
m
l
July 2, 2010 12:33:16 AM

Best answer selected by jijoslin.
m
l
!