24/7 operation or dailly shut down?

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I know this may sound like a ridiculous question, but I must ask anyway since I've been getting conflicting advice from friends and pc enthusiasts alike. I just finished with my latest build, the most recent of about 5 total pc's I have built, and my question is it better for the longevity of the components to shut down the system after use, or leave it running 24/7, I also want to consider power saving and other considerations, any and all advice would be appreciated, my system specs are under my member info, thanks

Solution
24/7 is going to shorten the life of components, as an example lifetime of cooling fans is measured in running hrs, Capacitors age and so on. Shutting of the computer will safe power.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I leave my computer on 24/7 and just let it sleep as necessary.

I don't think that leaving it on will appreciably shorten the life of the components. This fan I have sitting in front of me has an estimated lifetime of 50,000 hours. That's 5 years of 24/7 operation in normal people time. Unsure what other components are rated at, but you might expect something similar.

However, you are going to use less energy if you shut down...though if you really want to save energy, completely unplug it too, as most modern electronics still draw a little power while "turned off".

This question pops up here about every other month. And it goes back about 30 years to the birth of the IBM PC.

I have several desktop systems. I leave my workhorse system running 24/7 except for when I go on vacation. Been running fine for about 6 years. I also have a torrent box I leave running all the time. I turn on my gaming and multimedia system when I need to.