RAM freezing Memtest

ts631

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hi,

I have a corsair vengeance 8gb, 2x4gb kit in a new build im trying to get running stock stable but getting BSOD still. Ive run each stick in Memtest for at least a couple hours and both of them came up with no errors. But every time I put both sticks together regardless of the DIMM slots memtest will freeze right away every time without fail at 5% on the first test..
Also they are rated at 9-9-9-24 1.5v @1600 but when set at these timings manually there is no post. But they will run 9-9-9-24 at 1333, when I move it up to 1600 my mobo auto changes the timing to 11-11-11-24 and it will run that way. GA-890FXA-UD5 maybe it could be the mobo acting weird.

ps: with one stick running prime 95 in windows 7 always crashes

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

MOBO: GA-890FXA-UD5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb
PSU: Corsair 750HX
GPU: Gigabyte 6950
CPU: 1090t w/ Hyper 212+
HDD: WD Black

Solution
I have the same ram on my MSI P67 motherboard. My computer would freeze sometimes like every 5hours or so. So what i did was go into the bios and check to see the voltage on the ram and the ram was under voltage at 1st. So i increased the Voltage on mine to 1.65 volts and so far no crashes as of yet. Passes the memory test and prime 95 test for 5 hours running stable. Honestly im not sure how well it works with the AMD motherboard..I have mine running at 1600mhz

ts631

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011

The first time I installed the OS I got it to run at rated timing and speed easily but since then ive rinstalled many times and cleared CMOS trying to get things running stable so im leaning more towards to mobo. The RAM has very little fail rates compared to the buyer feedback on Newegg

But I have no idea why Memtest is acting weird. Im kinda loosing faith in that program though :pfff:

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I have the same ram on my MSI P67 motherboard. My computer would freeze sometimes like every 5hours or so. So what i did was go into the bios and check to see the voltage on the ram and the ram was under voltage at 1st. So i increased the Voltage on mine to 1.65 volts and so far no crashes as of yet. Passes the memory test and prime 95 test for 5 hours running stable. Honestly im not sure how well it works with the AMD motherboard..I have mine running at 1600mhz

Solution
I came across this on KINGSTON website the other day "1.7v - 1.95v voltage range for dual-channel applications for AMD based systems and Intel chipsets older than X58
1.65v voltage for triple-channel Intel Core i7 9xx series applications
1.65v voltage for dual-channel Intel Core i5 7xx series and Core i7 8xx series applications"
http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr3.asp
This is for 1.65v ram but the interesting thing there is the voltage bump needed for AMD dual Channel. (I see nothing like that on Corsair's site)