Is this worth upgrading

Cl4d

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Hi I am mostly a gamer but recently when Battlefield bad company came out I started having problems running the games, I have to turn down all the graphics and in maps with lot of particles it is slow. My question is : can my pc be upgraded to get that kind of game running. I was thinking about the videocard at first, tell me what you think.

Processor : Intel core 2 duo E6750
MOBO : Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Memory : 4 gig crucial ddr2-800
VIdeocard : Geforce 8800 GTS 640 MB

I think you're looking at a new build. Everything in there is pretty old is really isn't going to be useful for an upgrade.

Depending on your monitor, you could easily have a new build that'd be good for gaming for under $700, possibly lower as this includes the cost of a HDD, PSU, case, OS and optical. If those components are reusable, the cost could be as low as $400. I'd suggest that you take a look at the guidelines (the link's in my signature) and see what kind of build we come up with. Don't forget to include the exact parts that you already have, especially the PSU.

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Yeah. If you don't want to completely upgrade now, I would invest in a good video card as long as you plan to rebuild. If not, I would just get like a 4650 or something.

If you are ready to upgrade, just say the word and we'll create a build for you.

Cl4d

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
2X Lg Dvd burner
2X 500 gig seagate HDD 32mb cache
Antec 900 case
Windows 7

I can't seem to get my hands on my PSU, cause its screwed and I can't see anything about it specs, is there a fast way to check it out ( I believe not)

Cl4d

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
I think between 400 and 500 CAD$, I think I could change the PSU, I've had weird things happen to by computer with that PSU.

Also I have 2 monitors : one of them is 1920x1080(24 inches) and the other is 1680x1050 (20.6 inches)

Cl4d

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
What manufacturer do you recommend for the video card, and if I were to change the PSU, what would you recommend?
And with asus HD 5770, I came at 580 with taxes.

Any would be fine. Lots of people like XFX because of their double lifetime warranty.

If you were to change you PSU, I'd get a 650W from Antec, Corsair, Silverstone or SeaSonic.

Make sure to check different sources for the parts. I don't know that many retailers in Canada, but I do know the prices vary a lot more than they do in the US.

That's a good one.

I should point out is that an easy way to save some money is if you don't think you'll ever add a second card in Crossfire. Crossfire is generally a good way to create a cheap upgrade path down the road, but it may not be necessary.

If you don't want to be able to add a second card, you can switch the motherboard to a Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 and get a 450-550W PSU. You should save around $50 with those changes, possibly more.

Not really. You could use any two Crossfire enabled cards, but it would default to the weaker one, so you'd essentially lose some power. It's better if you use the same card. It definitely doesn't have to be the same brand though.

If you're asking because you want to use that older card with a 5770, that won't work. They're entirely different chipsets and wouldn't be compatible in the slightest.