aladinsane2005

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hello,

I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3r motherboard and Kingston HyperX triple channel memory modules (3 X 2gig). Can I upgrade to 12gig by adding the same memory as above?

Solution
Note:
1. You will see ZERO benefit for PC gaming and may see a very small drop in performance (2%).

2. You will add heat and thus fan noise.

3. You must have a need to make use of more than 6GB and that is rare. Basically only very advanced photo or video editing with massive files. If you have to even ask if you need it you likely don't as the PRO's usually know what they need.

4. Don't get sucked into "more is better"; it only applies up to a point. From 1GB to 2GB is a HUGE difference (especially for gaming). From 2GB to 4GB is a slight difference; from 4GB to 6GB the difference is very, very minor and from 6GB to 12GB you may see a small DROP IN PERFORMANCE due to the overhead required to refresh the RAM.
Note:
1. You will see ZERO benefit for PC gaming and may see a very small drop in performance (2%).

2. You will add heat and thus fan noise.

3. You must have a need to make use of more than 6GB and that is rare. Basically only very advanced photo or video editing with massive files. If you have to even ask if you need it you likely don't as the PRO's usually know what they need.

4. Don't get sucked into "more is better"; it only applies up to a point. From 1GB to 2GB is a HUGE difference (especially for gaming). From 2GB to 4GB is a slight difference; from 4GB to 6GB the difference is very, very minor and from 6GB to 12GB you may see a small DROP IN PERFORMANCE due to the overhead required to refresh the RAM.

Solution

aladinsane2005

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks,

Will take your advise. My rig lost 2 video cards (XFX 5870) a motherboard (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R) now again 4th time back to Cyberpowerpc for a third 5870 card. Next rig I will build. They must use inferior parts no more Cyberpower!!!

CoolerMaster Sniper case, i7 960 3.2Ghz, Asetek 120 liquid cooling, HDD 1TB, Lite-On Blu-Ray Player, Sony Double Layer DVD, Radeon 5870 1GB DDR5, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R MB, Saitek Cyborg keyboard, Razor Death Adder mouse, Kingston HyperX 6GB memory, 10% overclock, Windows 7 home premium

Our systems are nearly identical.

FYI, with a single HD5870 your games will not run better with your CPU overclocked. You can run the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) to observe how little your CPU is utilized for most games. Keep in mind no game can use all threads to 100% but you still likely use less than 50% on average less than the game could theoretically use (with another graphics card).

I also have a Gigabyte motherboard. I forget the name but there's a Gigabyte utility that I use to overclock but I only use it when I'm recoding video. So I enable Overclock to the preset maximum (requires reboot) then recode my video(s) and finally I use the utility to set back to default clock speeds.

I also have a very large heatsink and 120mm fan. That really brought down the CPU fan noise a LOT. Measure though, my heatsink was so big it blocked the top PCIe x1 slot.