First new PC in years, thoughts on my build?

Sorry banthracis, hope this helps further:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP in the next couple of days or so. BUDGET RANGE: £1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, photoshop/premiere, surfing the internet.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: i have been using chillblast.com.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No now maybe in the future.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just best performance for my buck with gaming taking preference over everything else.

Hi all, thanks for looking in my thread. Im after a new PC, mostly for gaming but would like it for low end occasional photoshop and premiere work too.

Case:
Cooler Master CM690 Dominator Black

CPU:
Intel Core i7 860 Processor (2.80GHz) Overclocked to 3.6GHz

Cooling:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler

Motherboard:
Asus P7P55D-E LX Motherboard with USB 3.0

Memory:
4GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory

Graphics Card:
Radeon HD 5850 1024MB

Hard Disk:
500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk

PSU:
EZCool Basic 600W PSU

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Theres just a few things i was wondering if anyone can help me with. First of all if anyone has any general comments about the build, decent rig, good for gaming etc?

CPU: The research ive done suggests that the 920 doesnt give enough of a performance boost for the extra money so i think the 860 is the best route for my needs. However, my brother has suggested that i get the i5 750 due to the cheaper price and equal performance for gaming but im just not sure how it copes with general applications and photo/video editing (although im not a heavy user in this area, just dabble and for fun really). Is an 860 overkill for my needs?

Graphics card: I think im pretty stuck on the Rad 5850 tbh but if theres something im missing then please let me know.

Cooling: Do i need thermal paste?

Motherboard: I have a choice between the P7P55D-E LX and the P7P55D-E. Is there really enough of a difference to pay the extra? Again from what ive seen its just an extra couple SATA sockets but just want to make sure im not missing something big.

Memory: Is 4gb enough? Should i go for 4GB PC3-10666 DDR3 or 4GB PC3-12800 1600MHz?

PSU: Is 600W enough?

Would really appreciate any of your thoughts and comments,

2 answers Last reply
More about first years thoughts build
  1. Fill out form in sticky, link in my sig.

The i7's are better for video editing and other well threaded applications, but i really is not a deal if you just do it occasionally. I do converting, encoding and some basic video editing fine on my i5-750.

Gaming the i5-750 is the most you'll need to spend on a processor. In fact, if you're willing to overclock a Phenom II x4 it'll give the same performance in gaming. If you're gaming at modern resolutions (1920x1080) both CPU's hit a GPU bottleneck long before they hit a CPU bottleneck, even with a 5970.

4gb of ram is more than enough. DDR3 1333 if you don't plan on OC, 1600 is you do.

No to thermal paste unless you want a really high oc.

Get the P7P55D-E pro. It has xfire capabilities. $180 on newegg atm.

That PSU is piece of junk. Get a Corsair, seasonic, OCZ modxstream or fatal1ty, thermaltake toughpower, or antec PSU.

500 is fine if you don't plan on xfire, 750 if you do.

Best RAM choice would be G SKill Ripjaw's.

HD would be Samsung spinpoint F3 500gb, though 1tb is only $10 more ATM with promo code.

HSF don't get the 7. Get a CM Hyper 212 plus $30 on amazon, $27 on tigerdirect atm.

For the best, get a megahalem $62 on newegg and nice pair of fans. Scythe slipstream or S Flex are good.
  2. Concur on PSU and CPU. Go with the i5-750.

ACF7P used to be a really nice budget cooler. Now, it's excessively mediocre by today's standards. And I really like the Scythe S-Flex fans. There are several models depending on your airflow needs and noise tolerance.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems