Sign in with
Your question

First new PC in years, thoughts on my build?

Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2010 6:08:03 PM

Sorry banthracis, hope this helps further:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP in the next couple of days or so. BUDGET RANGE: £1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, photoshop/premiere, surfing the internet.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: i have been using chillblast.com.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No now maybe in the future.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just best performance for my buck with gaming taking preference over everything else.

Hi all, thanks for looking in my thread. Im after a new PC, mostly for gaming but would like it for low end occasional photoshop and premiere work too.

Case:
Cooler Master CM690 Dominator Black

CPU:
Intel Core i7 860 Processor (2.80GHz) Overclocked to 3.6GHz

Cooling:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler

Motherboard:
Asus P7P55D-E LX Motherboard with USB 3.0

Memory:
4GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory

Graphics Card:
Radeon HD 5850 1024MB

Hard Disk:
500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk

PSU:
EZCool Basic 600W PSU

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Theres just a few things i was wondering if anyone can help me with. First of all if anyone has any general comments about the build, decent rig, good for gaming etc?

CPU: The research ive done suggests that the 920 doesnt give enough of a performance boost for the extra money so i think the 860 is the best route for my needs. However, my brother has suggested that i get the i5 750 due to the cheaper price and equal performance for gaming but im just not sure how it copes with general applications and photo/video editing (although im not a heavy user in this area, just dabble and for fun really). Is an 860 overkill for my needs?

Graphics card: I think im pretty stuck on the Rad 5850 tbh but if theres something im missing then please let me know.

Cooling: Do i need thermal paste?

Motherboard: I have a choice between the P7P55D-E LX and the P7P55D-E. Is there really enough of a difference to pay the extra? Again from what ive seen its just an extra couple SATA sockets but just want to make sure im not missing something big.

Memory: Is 4gb enough? Should i go for 4GB PC3-10666 DDR3 or 4GB PC3-12800 1600MHz?

PSU: Is 600W enough?

Would really appreciate any of your thoughts and comments,

More about : years thoughts build

June 24, 2010 6:28:49 PM

Fill out form in sticky, link in my sig.

The i7's are better for video editing and other well threaded applications, but i really is not a deal if you just do it occasionally. I do converting, encoding and some basic video editing fine on my i5-750.

Gaming the i5-750 is the most you'll need to spend on a processor. In fact, if you're willing to overclock a Phenom II x4 it'll give the same performance in gaming. If you're gaming at modern resolutions (1920x1080) both CPU's hit a GPU bottleneck long before they hit a CPU bottleneck, even with a 5970.

4gb of ram is more than enough. DDR3 1333 if you don't plan on OC, 1600 is you do.

No to thermal paste unless you want a really high oc.

Get the P7P55D-E pro. It has xfire capabilities. $180 on newegg atm.

That PSU is piece of junk. Get a Corsair, seasonic, OCZ modxstream or fatal1ty, thermaltake toughpower, or antec PSU.

500 is fine if you don't plan on xfire, 750 if you do.

Best RAM choice would be G SKill Ripjaw's.

HD would be Samsung spinpoint F3 500gb, though 1tb is only $10 more ATM with promo code.

HSF don't get the 7. Get a CM Hyper 212 plus $30 on amazon, $27 on tigerdirect atm.

For the best, get a megahalem $62 on newegg and nice pair of fans. Scythe slipstream or S Flex are good.
June 25, 2010 8:10:55 AM

Concur on PSU and CPU. Go with the i5-750.

ACF7P used to be a really nice budget cooler. Now, it's excessively mediocre by today's standards. And I really like the Scythe S-Flex fans. There are several models depending on your airflow needs and noise tolerance.
!