Sign in with
Your question

My computer shuts off suddenly and the occurrence rate is going up

Last response: in Memory
March 24, 2011 12:31:34 AM

Hi all,

Thank you for viewing my thread. I've run into something serious that I myself cannot solve. The history is quite long so please be patient with me.

First of all this is my 2 year old desktop computer setup:

1 x EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI FTW ATX Intel Motherboard
2 x EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400
1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

My computer was running fine until probably 6 months ago, my computer just suddenly shuts off. It was like as if someone just pull the power plug on my machine.

The first occurrence happened when I was playing Magic the Gathering: Duals of the Plane Walkers on Steam.
When it first happened, I thought my computer was overheating, so from then on I've removed my side panel from my case. This reduces the rate of shut-offs but not completely. The problem wasn't so serious then to me, because it only happens to me when I play that game on steam. Soon enough, I got tired of the crash, so I quit playing that game completely.

Recently when I was playing World of Warcraft, it shuts off on me just like when I was playing Magic on Steam. This really annoys me because now it affects the main game that I am playing almost all the time.

I tried to ignore it but the shut-offs are too random to predict. Sometimes it could be 30 minute into the game, sometimes I can play 4 hours straight without any shut-offs.

Finally, I've decided to scan my registry to see if my registry is corrupted. I used a program called Free Registry Repair to scan my registry. During a complete scan, my computer would just shuts off.

At that point I've decided to backup everything and reinstall windows while formatting my drive.

Even right at this moment with a clean installation, with only MS office and WoW installed, I still get the crash.

It is happening more and more these past 4 days. I would probably get 4~5 crashes in a 4 hour span. But only when I was playing games. It hasn't happen to me yet when browse the internet.

I've talked to some friends and they recommended me to run memtest86.

I tried running the memtest with both sticks and each stick at a time. Both of my sticks can run for 8~10 minutes before my computer shuts off.

So now I consider the possibility of RMA my ram sticks since it has life time warranty.

But I just want to know, what if getting a new set of ram still can't fix my problem. What's next?

What are other possibilities other than my ram that is causing my trouble?

Thank you for your time.

J
March 24, 2011 5:40:20 AM

joshchen322 said:
Hi all,

Thank you for viewing my thread. I've run into something serious that I myself cannot solve. The history is quite long so please be patient with me.

First of all this is my 2 year old desktop computer setup:

1 x EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI FTW ATX Intel Motherboard
2 x EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400
1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

My computer was running fine until probably 6 months ago, my computer just suddenly shuts off. It was like as if someone just pull the power plug on my machine.

The first occurrence happened when I was playing Magic the Gathering: Duals of the Plane Walkers on Steam.
When it first happened, I thought my computer was overheating, so from then on I've removed my side panel from my case. This reduces the rate of shut-offs but not completely. The problem wasn't so serious then to me, because it only happens to me when I play that game on steam. Soon enough, I got tired of the crash, so I quit playing that game completely.

Recently when I was playing World of Warcraft, it shuts off on me just like when I was playing Magic on Steam. This really annoys me because now it affects the main game that I am playing almost all the time.

I tried to ignore it but the shut-offs are too random to predict. Sometimes it could be 30 minute into the game, sometimes I can play 4 hours straight without any shut-offs.

Finally, I've decided to scan my registry to see if my registry is corrupted. I used a program called Free Registry Repair to scan my registry. During a complete scan, my computer would just shuts off.

At that point I've decided to backup everything and reinstall windows while formatting my drive.

Even right at this moment with a clean installation, with only MS office and WoW installed, I still get the crash.

It is happening more and more these past 4 days. I would probably get 4~5 crashes in a 4 hour span. But only when I was playing games. It hasn't happen to me yet when browse the internet.

I've talked to some friends and they recommended me to run memtest86.

I tried running the memtest with both sticks and each stick at a time. Both of my sticks can run for 8~10 minutes before my computer shuts off.

So now I consider the possibility of RMA my ram sticks since it has life time warranty.

But I just want to know, what if getting a new set of ram still can't fix my problem. What's next?

Thank you for your time.

J

I don't claim to be a pro or anything but just a thought here. Other possibilities might be a power supply going bad. From your description is sounds almost as if every time you put some kind of load on the machine it reboots on you. Surfing the net gives you no problem but that normally does not require a lot of a machine. If you happen to have a spare power supply hanging around and the memory does not work you might give it a try. Good luck to you. I hate those random crashes so i feel you pain.
m
l
March 24, 2011 10:31:14 AM

check your heatsink is clean and not utterly clogged with dust?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
March 24, 2011 11:55:19 AM

I too suspect a bad or failing PSU. Until/unless you have ruled that out, it is important that you minimize your use of this PC, because the PSU could very well be sending damaging out-of-spec voltages into your components before shutting down.
What brand and model is the PSU (not just wattage)?
m
l
March 24, 2011 12:05:43 PM

Quote:

The power supply could be (rightly or wrongly) shutting down the computer. P/S protections include Over Temp, Over Current (DC side) and Over Power (A/C side). Any one of these could be malfunctioning or working correctly to protect your computer from itself.
m
l
March 24, 2011 6:31:37 PM

Thank you all for your input. As for the CPU heatsink, it is pretty clean and dust free. I forgot to mention that I have used SpeedFan to measure my temp. My CPU runs around 40~50 when I am surfing web/running MS office, and it gets to around 70~75 when I was playing games.

So thank you for your suggestion about my PSU.

My PSU is 1 x Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply
and it is older than my mobo/g.card/ram...its 3 years old now.

So if my ram replacement doesn't work, I will try to replace my power supply.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 24, 2011 8:33:29 PM

I don't want to be redundant, but recently my boss's laptop was encountering the same issue.
His was due to PSU failing. Any slight rise in temperature, it couldn't cool itself because the fans were damaged and the heat increase had a low tolerance obviously and would do what you've described.

We changed his PSU and cooling system and cleaned up a little bit and his seems to be working fine again. Not sure if this is what yours is doing, but hope this may give another point of view to assist.
m
l
a b } Memory
March 24, 2011 9:01:20 PM

That PSU passed jonnyguru's testing a few years ago, but considering its age and that it really isn't all that good by more modern standards, replacing it is a very good idea.
m
l
March 25, 2011 2:23:56 AM

jtt283: Great, thank you! I will give it a try
Kolaczewski: Thank you, I appreciate your input. =)
m
l
!