Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stabillity Issues, bsod's! (GA 880 UD2H +Phenom II x6 1055T + Gskill F3-10600CL9

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 24, 2011 12:39:33 AM

Hello,
I'd like to overclock this PII x6 Thuban 1055T to 3.5ghz. 250x14 seems to be an acceptable goal. I cannot figure out what the issue is. Please read below.

Hardware: Gigabyte Motherboard GA-880GMA-UD2H (rev. 2.2), Gskill DDR3 1333 F3-10600CL9, And PII x6 1055T.

(Ive had some luck running memory at 1.5v and leaving HT/NB ratios at Auto which put them at 2000mhz. It was more stable, but the bsod's returned, and w/ more occurrence after each instance.)

My system settings:
1.42, CPU NBV 1.42, NBV 1.28, Turbo Off (zero stability with it on), Dual channel slots 1 and 3 "same color" @ 1332 x5 ratio, FSB 250, DDR VTT .850, CE, CQ are off, Thuban Six Core 1055T.

NB-F x8 @ 2000 & HT-L x8 @ 2000Mhz.


Notice that I have the NB/HT set at x8 ratio and the memory is set at x5. I also have the timeings set manually to 9 9 9 24 34 2T.

Could this memory or cpu have issues running at x5 ratio? *the speed (1332) is not above its rated speed.
a c 117 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 2:22:31 AM

First and foremost have you bothered to Memtest86+ your ram one stick at a time set at mobo defaults?
m
0
l
a c 153 V Motherboard
March 24, 2011 3:22:39 AM

Points:
1. Run MEMTEST first with ALL your RAM installed and other settings at DEFAULT (including the CPU)
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
2. always run MEMTEST after changing CPU/Memory settings in BIOS

3. If your RAM timings and frequency have not changed it's likely your CPU is causing the crashing not the RAM

4. Are you using a good, large heatsink/120mm fan instead of the stock CPU HSF?

This link may also help:
http://hwbot.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 153 V Motherboard
March 27, 2011 4:39:05 AM

This message could be a few things.

I had this error and it was only solved finally by a BIOS upgrade. I believe it fixed an incorrect timing setting for my RAM; the updated BIOS correctly identified my RAM and applied the correct settings.

I recommend sticking with STOCK SETTINGS and awaiting a BIOS update if nothing else pans out.

FYI, you can determine if a CPU overclock will help your game in the following manner:
1) Run Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)
2) "Performance"
3) "View"->"One graph per CPU", and "Lowest" update speed
4) leave runnning and start a game. run game for 5 minutes for normal gameplay
5) close game and observe TM

Analysis of TM:
If you had only a single core CPU if a core never went above 50% usage then you could handle a second graphics card or another single card with 2x the performance.

It's slightly different with multiple cores as no game can use ALL CORES in quad-core systems. However:
1) If no core uses 100% then overclocking your CPU will not change game performance
2) If a single core uses 100% you MAY see a performance increase with an overclock

This is an oversimplification of a slightly more complicated process, but in general most modern CPU's are more than adequate for any single-GPU graphics card.

Overclocking if not needed only results in more heat (thus fan noise) as well as possible instability.
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 6:33:22 PM

1973433,5,79844 said:
This message could be a few things.

I had this error and it was only solved finally by a BIOS upgrade. I believe it fixed an incorrect timing setting for my RAM; the updated BIOS correctly identified my RAM and applied the correct settings.

Ill have to pester Gigabyte some more.

*Increasing your Frequency will always help. The core argument only applies to should I get 2,4, 6 cores? during a purchase.
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 8:00:45 PM

kryteris said:
Hello,
I'd like to overclock this PII x6 Thuban 1055T to 3.5ghz. 250x14 seems to be an acceptable goal. I cannot figure out what the issue is. Please read below.

Hardware: Gigabyte Motherboard GA-880GMA-UD2H (rev. 2.2), Gskill DDR3 1333 F3-10600CL9, And PII x6 1055T.

(Ive had some luck running memory at 1.5v and leaving HT/NB ratios at Auto which put them at 2000mhz. It was more stable, but the bsod's returned, and w/ more occurrence after each instance.)

My system settings:
1.42, CPU NBV 1.42, NBV 1.28, Turbo Off (zero stability with it on), Dual channel slots 1 and 3 "same color" @ 1332 x5 ratio, FSB 250, DDR VTT .850, CE, CQ are off, Thuban Six Core 1055T.

NB-F x8 @ 2000 & HT-L x8 @ 2000Mhz.


Notice that I have the NB/HT set at x8 ratio and the memory is set at x5. I also have the timeings set manually to 9 9 9 24 34 2T.

Could this memory or cpu have issues running at x5 ratio? *the speed (1332) is not above its rated speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I myself have the same Mother Board with Phenom II 925 X 4 @ 2.8 ghz/8GBs 1600 mhz Kingston Hyper Blue DDR3/XFX Radeon 5670 1gb ddr5/WD Blue
500 gb 7200 rpm hdd. I have only overclocked slightly to 205 FSB. Everything else is stock fed from that fsb speed. In my quest to get better performance
out of my system I ran into simular issues with the BSOD. I think photonboy made great suggestions. I ran all those test including a bios change/upgrade and in my experience dealing with this MB, heat as with any system build plays a large role in system stability and is the enemy of it. Reason I say this is no matter how little or over stock speed I tweaked my system, everything in it ran smoothly until temperatures of certain components such as; the cpu/memory/north and south bridge caused the protection implimentations of those components to shut them down giving me the BSOD.

My added suggestion is get the best cooling solutions you can afford including; measuring the diameter of your north and south bridge heatsinks to connect miniature high rpm fans if not in place already. also do the same for your CPU, memroy and hdd drives. I truly believe that after a bios update, this is the best solution for this mb setup. And when you can finally get your system running stable at higher than stock speed leave well enough alone.
Other than those above suggestions, I recommend upgrading your motherboard to a Intel Z77 or AMD AM3+ with pcie and usb 3.0.
I hope you reach your goal with your current system config. Good Luck

m
0
l
a c 153 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 11:32:42 PM

Check the DATES please when posting... and CLOSE threads when finished.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 6:15:42 PM

My bad photonboy. noob mistake. just trying to help. How would I close a thread on this forum?
m
0
l
a c 153 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 4:12:57 PM

gamerx357 said:
My bad photonboy. noob mistake. just trying to help. How would I close a thread on this forum?


I don't know how to close a thread, despite being an "addict"; I feel kind of dumb now but I've been searching around here at Tomshardware and can't find the information.

I suppose it's possible the option is only available to the person who STARTS the thread? (I've never started one myself).

It looks like I'll have to start a thread to ask how to STOP a thread (and possibly my answer will then show up).

Cheers.
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 7:31:36 PM

Thanks for responding. So far I only use the tools available to me with the member site. Also, I have'nt started a thread myself niehter. So maybe you can answer that ? for both of us. Let me know what you come up with.
m
0
l
!