9800GT on 450W, 12V@23A

G

Hi people. I would like to ask if 9800GT asus with 1GB will run on a mtech power supply with one 12V rail at 23A. Thanks for your help.
My specs are AMD x2 5400+, 2GB, 320GB hd
I am worried about the amps, should i buy better psu?

G

Mtech is the brand, its not very popular. But outside it looks like a fortron psu, but its not :D

G

Yeah, but in all reviews they say that is minimum requiring 26A, recommended 30A...
And i am newbie, so i get a little confused :pt1cable:

There are 2 different versions of the 9800GT. The newer version uses much less power and doesn't have a 6-pin power connector. Your PSU can definitely handle that card fine. It can probably handle the other as well but if you want to be safe just look for one that doesn't have the power connector.
You also may want to consider the HD5670 instead. Similar performance and price but it is DX11 compatible, supports 3 monitors and has more current video/audio playback features.

G

Thanks for the replys. I was about to go for 9600GT or GT240 :D just for those amps.

G

So, finally, can I run this card on a single 12V rail @ 23A or I can't?

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005

I speak only of my own experiences. I do not work for a computer store so what you say is well within reason.
Don't let me confuse us. I'm still gearing for the future so looking at the past I could have my wires crossed.

If it ain't needing over 36a I probably have no business posting about it.
I had to go through the whole "Why won't my 8800GT run on my Bestec 300 watt PSU" question about 3 years ago, so I'd say I have a little knowledge on it.