Solved

Help installing hard drive!

Hey guys,

I inherited an old Dell Dimension 8200 for free and thought I'd make a few upgrades. I know it makes more sense to just buy a new computer but it's been kind of fun and it's been teaching me a lot about computer hardware (of which I know very little).

So far I have upgraded the RAM from .5 gig to 2 gigs, beefed up the power supply to 450 watts, added a new video card (zotac gt 430 pci), and finally upgraded to windows 7. That last step I did just for fun because most people said it would run poorly but it actually looks great and runs just about as fast as xp did before the upgrade! Anyways, most of this stuff I either got for free or for very cheap so its been worth it for me.

I also just recently inherited 2 500 gb sata hard drives for free and I thought I'd see if I could get those running in my machine as well. The computer does not have any sata ports, it's all IDE. I bought a sabrent sata host controller card that plugs into the PCI slot seeing if that could be the solution.

I first removed something from the computer that was in the second hard drive spot that looks like an empty box (not sure what it was, but it didn't look like it did anything). I then plugged in the PCI card, slid in the new hard drive, plugged in the power, and plugged the sata cable from the hard drive into the port on the card. I booted the machine and once I was in windows, it automatically installed the drivers to all the components for me. I restarted the computer and went to setup and saw that the BIOS showed my new hard drive in the appropriate spot but it displayed as a CD Rom Reader and not a hard drive. When I go to hard drive boot sequence I see the new and old hard drives there. I tried putting in the xp recovery disk to see if it read the hard drive there so I could format it and maybe install windows on it, but only the old one popped up.

Ultimately I would like to get my computer to recognize the new hard drive, then clone the old one to the new one, then remove the old one, then add the second new one. The only problem is, I'm hung up on getting my pc to recognize the new hard drive as a hard drive in the BIOS.

Sorry for the longpost, i just wanted to make sure everyone knew all the background info. Can anyone please help??
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help installing hard drive
  1. First, what's the model of the SATA controller you installed? and does what you removed from the second hard drive spot have a model number? whas it connected to power and the motherboard? do you have a pic of it?

I would remove the new HDD's for the time being, and make sure the controller is installed correctly and there's no driver issues. Once that's done I would check to see if there's a Menu system for the new controller card. There might be after POST (Power On Self Test) that you have to press a key to enter into it. POST is the time your computer boots up, before entering Windows (the time you can enter BIOS.)
  2. The card is model: sbt-srd4. Upon examining the the other drive a little closer it may be a floppy...I'm not sure. As far as that model number, it may be TEAC FD-235HG. I'll try to get a picture up here in a little bit.
  3. In fact that would make sense if it were a floppy because once I removed it at boot up it would say something about a diskette drive 0. I had to turn it to not installed in the bios to stop getting that error message.

As far as your post goes, should I unplug the new hard drive and uninstall the drivers for it before proceeding or just unplug it? Is windows restore the best way to uninstall it?
  4. cmmccook said:
    The card is model: sbt-srd4. Upon examining the the other drive a little closer it may be a floppy...I'm not sure. As far as that model number, it may be TEAC FD-235HG. I'll try to get a picture up here in a little bit.

Yes, that's a Floppy drive
  5. Best answer
    well, you don't have to start at the point before you installed the new SATA controller - no point in that, just make sure that the 2 new HDD's are not connected to the controller and boot to windows making sure there's no conflicts and all is good

enter Device Manager and see

based on this... http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SATARAID5-UserGuide_v1.60.pdf
    there's a windows GUI that you would use to configure the drives connected to the card, so I don't think there's anything for you to do in the BIOS, EXCEPT if you plan to use the card as a RAID controller - then you need to change the BIOS to RAID, from what I read

----UPDATE
    on page 34, it explains how to enter the BIOS RAID utility program
    press CTRL+S or F4
  6. Great, thanks for all of your help! I don't need to use the raid function, so don't worry about that. I unplugged the drive and booted up. It all looks okay except it is missing a driver for the pci card. Also, i went to see if i could install from the cd that came with the card, but now when I open computer it shows that there is a floppy drive and no cd rom drive....I guess I'll try restarting again and see if it fixes that.
  7. Best answer selected by cmmccook.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer Storage