The 2nd Legends trailer

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 21, 2005 6:12:40 AM

Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to register at
the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank you in advance.

--
Linus

More about : 2nd legends trailer

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:03:01 PM

"Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
> alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
> register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
> you in advance.

Going up now.
McG.
May 21, 2005 5:17:52 PM

Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second trailer
ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful people out
there.
--
:-)

Linus

> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
> > alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
> > register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
> > you in advance.
>
> Going up now.
> McG.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 10:36:15 PM

"Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
> alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to register
at
> the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> Linus

Yo! Go straight to www.gamespot.com and search for TR Legend....or here's a
direct link

http://tinyurl.com/blsln

or here

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/tombraidervii/media...
l_om_mul_051805.asx
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 10:36:16 PM

"Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
>> Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
>> alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
>> register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
>> you in advance.
>>
>> --
>> Linus
>>

> Yo! Go straight to www.gamespot.com and search for TR Legend....or
> here's a direct link
>
> http://tinyurl.com/blsln
>
> or here
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/tombraidervii/media...
> l_om_mul_051805.asx

it's now on alt.binaries.lara.croft for some odd reason ;)
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:11:35 AM

> Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second
> trailer ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful
> people out there.

>> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
>>> Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
>>> alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
>>> register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
>>> you in advance.
>>
>> Going up now.
>> McG.

You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs out in
this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
McG.
May 22, 2005 6:18:43 AM

Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.

--
:-)

Dennis
(Linus)

> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second
> > trailer ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful
> > people out there.
> >
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Going up now.
> >> McG.
>
> You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
> people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs out in
> this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
> McG.

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:22:34 PM

I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games very
well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it did run,
most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set lower.
My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec enough
to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with maxed
settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more ram
and a better video card. None of the really big games out this past
year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
McG.

> Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
> managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
> 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
> 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
> enough power.

>> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
>>> Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second
>>> trailer ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such
>>> helpful people out there.
>>>
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>> You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
>> people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs
>> out in this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
>> McG.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 4:10:45 PM

Linus wrote:
> Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
> TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
> computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
> card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.

I doubt it. I had same video card, IIRC same amount of RAM and 2.4GHZ
CPU and was able to run pretty crippled TRAoD (compared to TRAoD after I
upgraded RAM to 1G and video card to ATI Radeon 9800 Pro).

you might be able to run TRL but not in full glory, however recent
engines are fairly good in degrading sort of gracefully so if the game
play is good it might still be acceptable.

I'd upgrade RAM first to at least 512MB (won't go out of date) then
later on video card (to whatever is cheap/good enough at that time) when
the game (you're interested in, not sure if it's TRL) is released
because those get outdated very fast. I doubt you'll need latest CPU but
getting something above 2GHz would certainly help.

then again it might be better go PCI Express route now (so upgrade
everything:-) On the other hand if PCI express catches on the old PCI
and AGP cards might become a lot cheaper...

erik
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:55:35 AM

"Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second trailer
> ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful people out
> there.
> --
> :-)
>
> Linus

Glad to be of help.
I've come to realise over the years that a.g.t is a very unique newsgroup...

> > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > > Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
> > > alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
> > > register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
> > > you in advance.
> >
> > Going up now.
> > McG.

May 23, 2005 5:16:28 AM

Sorry to say I can't tell you what mother board is in this old dog. It's an
old Gateway Performance 750 that's been around for a while. If there is a
way to find out, I could let you know next time around.

--
Linus

> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games very
> well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it did run,
> most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set lower.
> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec enough
> to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with maxed
> settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more ram
> and a better video card. None of the really big games out this past
> year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
> McG.
>
> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
> > managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
> > 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
> > 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
> > enough power.
> >

> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

> >> You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
> >> people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs
> >> out in this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
> >> McG.

May 23, 2005 5:31:57 AM

Well it seems if I ever want a gape to play 'right', I gotta get rich
somehow. Thanks for your good advice!

--
:-)

Linus

"Erik Steffl" <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Linus wrote:
> > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
> > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
> > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
> > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
>
> I doubt it. I had same video card, IIRC same amount of RAM and 2.4GHZ
> CPU and was able to run pretty crippled TRAoD (compared to TRAoD after I
> upgraded RAM to 1G and video card to ATI Radeon 9800 Pro).
>
> you might be able to run TRL but not in full glory, however recent
> engines are fairly good in degrading sort of gracefully so if the game
> play is good it might still be acceptable.
>
> I'd upgrade RAM first to at least 512MB (won't go out of date) then
> later on video card (to whatever is cheap/good enough at that time) when
> the game (you're interested in, not sure if it's TRL) is released
> because those get outdated very fast. I doubt you'll need latest CPU but
> getting something above 2GHz would certainly help.
>
> then again it might be better go PCI Express route now (so upgrade
> everything:-) On the other hand if PCI express catches on the old PCI
> and AGP cards might become a lot cheaper...
>
> erik
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:33:02 AM

"Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
> TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
> computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
> card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
>
> --
> :-)
>
> Dennis
> (Linus)

Unfortunetely, I have no idea. I'm hoping we'll get a demo in the next few
months considering a few signs are pointing to a November release.

Regarding your system...I'm just not sure. I haven't had that...uhm...how
can I put this...gentle a system for a very long time!
I imagine it would run, but it would be have to be at pretty poor resolution
and very low detail levels. But who knows at this point?
What I would suggest is that if you'd like more meat to your system anyway,
you should definitely upgrade. This new TR sounds really great, so you're
gonna want to really really experience it, right?! If you only just
'managed' to get AoD running...things don't bode well. Ultimately, my advice
is to wait until at least they release a demo, then test your system with
that demo, or even better wait until it's out, either hire it or buy it from
EB, test it out and then you can return it if needs be.

I have 512mb RAM, AMD something or other (1.9-2.1 GHz), ATI 9600 XT 256mb,
XP pro.

I can run Doom 3 at a very high res, high detail and it looks beautiful.

My system ain't as powerful as McG's (jsut wait till he shares his specs!)
but it's pretty decent.

I'm hoping TRL will run very well.

I've now decided that I can either buy an Xbox 360 or a new super graphics
card (at a budget of AUD500)...so either way TRL is going to look very drool
worthy (I hope).

> > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > > Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second
> > > trailer ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful
> > > people out there.
> > >
> > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

> > You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
> > people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs out in
> > this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
> > McG.

May 23, 2005 5:33:03 AM

I appreciate your honesty. I had a feeling this old machine would bring some
critism, lol! I only wish I could afford to upgrade, I'd have a new system,
but I'm rapidly finding out howmuch I don't know. Had a computer for 7 years
now and haven't learned a thing, I guess. Thanks for your suggestions.

--

Linus

> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
> > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
> > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
> > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
> >
> > --
> > :-)
> >
> > Dennis
> > (Linus)
>
> Unfortunetely, I have no idea. I'm hoping we'll get a demo in the next few
> months considering a few signs are pointing to a November release.
>
> Regarding your system...I'm just not sure. I haven't had that...uhm...how
> can I put this...gentle a system for a very long time!
> I imagine it would run, but it would be have to be at pretty poor
resolution
> and very low detail levels. But who knows at this point?
> What I would suggest is that if you'd like more meat to your system
anyway,
> you should definitely upgrade. This new TR sounds really great, so you're
> gonna want to really really experience it, right?! If you only just
> 'managed' to get AoD running...things don't bode well. Ultimately, my
advice
> is to wait until at least they release a demo, then test your system with
> that demo, or even better wait until it's out, either hire it or buy it
from
> EB, test it out and then you can return it if needs be.
>
> I have 512mb RAM, AMD something or other (1.9-2.1 GHz), ATI 9600 XT 256mb,
> XP pro.
>
> I can run Doom 3 at a very high res, high detail and it looks beautiful.
>
> My system ain't as powerful as McG's (jsut wait till he shares his specs!)
> but it's pretty decent.
>
> I'm hoping TRL will run very well.
>
> I've now decided that I can either buy an Xbox 360 or a new super graphics
> card (at a budget of AUD500)...so either way TRL is going to look very
drool
> worthy (I hope).
>

> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

Thank

> > > You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
> > > people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs out
in
> > > this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
> > > McG.

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:42:47 AM

> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games very
> well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it did run,
> most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set lower.
> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec enough
> to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with maxed
> settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more ram
> and a better video card. None of the really big games out this past
> year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
> McG.

Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out with
'em! I'm actually really interested!

> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
> > managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
> > 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
> > 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
> > enough power.
> >

> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

> >> You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
> >> people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs
> >> out in this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
> >> McG.

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:42:48 AM

>> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
>> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
>> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
>> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
>> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it
>> did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set
>> lower.
>> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
>> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with
>> maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
>> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
>> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more
>> ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out this
>> past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
>> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
>> McG.
>
> Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
> with 'em! I'm actually really interested!

Oh alright.. ;)  It's homebrew.
P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800 GT-256
meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's, 7200 rpm 8
meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S, generic 16X DVD
Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.

>> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
>>> Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
>>> managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
>>> 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
>>> 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
>>> enough power.
>>>

>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:42:49 AM

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, McGrandpa mentioned

>> Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
>> with 'em! I'm actually really interested!
>
>Oh alright.. ;)  It's homebrew.
>P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
>400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800 GT-256
>meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's, 7200 rpm 8
>meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S, generic 16X DVD
>Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.

Waaaaahhhh!! Mummy, Mummy, I WANT ONE LIKE HE'S GOT, MUMMY!!!!
..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:25:20 AM

Linus wrote:

> Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
> TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
> computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
> card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
>
> --
> :-)

For TRL, my guess is you should take the recommended spec's for
AoD and add a little to it.

-- G

> Dennis
> (Linus)
May 23, 2005 12:12:12 PM

This ol' machine doesn't have much more to offer, but I guess it would be
good to wait and see what's recommended. Thanks!
--

Linus

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Linus wrote:
> >
> > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
> > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
> > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
> > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
> >
> > --
> > :-)
>
> For TRL, my guess is you should take the recommended spec's for
> AoD and add a little to it.
>
> -- G
>
> > Dennis
> > (Linus)
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:14:59 PM

> Sorry to say I can't tell you what mother board is in this old dog.
> It's an old Gateway Performance 750 that's been around for a while.
> If there is a way to find out, I could let you know next time around.

Well, it's newer and more powerful than the PC's used where I work!
They're using Dell P3-500 or 550 systems with at most 256 megs ram and a
built in Rage3D ATI graphics chip and onboard sound and onboard LAN
adapter. There are no expansion cards in any of them. they run NT4 or
W2K. Most don't even have the USB ports enabled. NT won't do that
easily :)

I'd already had a faster machine I built by the time the company got
these ones :)
Now, my 'little junkbox' in the living room I just tinker with is more
powerful than any of those.

But they get "work" done for the company. Nuff said.
McG.

>> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
>> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
>> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
>> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
>> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it
>> did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set
>> lower.
>> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
>> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with
>> maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
>> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
>> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more
>> ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out this
>> past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
>> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
>> McG.
>>
>> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
>>> Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
>>> managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
>>> 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
>>> 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
>>> enough power.
>>>

>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:19:32 PM

> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
> >> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
> >> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
> >> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
> >> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it
> >> did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set
> >> lower.
> >> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
> >> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with
> >> maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
> >> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
> >> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more
> >> ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out this
> >> past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
> >> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
> >> McG.
> >
> > Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
> > with 'em! I'm actually really interested!
>
> Oh alright.. ;)  It's homebrew.
> P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
> 400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800 GT-256
> meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's, 7200 rpm 8
> meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S, generic 16X DVD
> Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.

ahhhhhh....I don't really understand most of the jargon, but I've picked out
the highlights....

I've decided that come Christmas time (and, ergo, TRL) I have a choice. Buy
an Xbox 360 or 6800 GT...they will probably retail for around the same
price.

OR I could blow off both, just buy a PS3 when it comes out and buy a new vid
card later next year...choices choices choices. We'll see how much extra
cash I have after my full-on non-stop working uni break....6 weeks of near
full time work....yay for me. I'll almost be a grown-up.

> >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:19:33 PM

>> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
>>> with 'em! I'm actually really interested!
>>
>> Oh alright.. ;)  It's homebrew.
>> P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
>> 400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800
>> GT-256 meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's,
>> 7200 rpm 8 meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S,
>> generic 16X DVD Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.
>>

> ahhhhhh....I don't really understand most of the jargon, but I've
> picked out the highlights....
>
> I've decided that come Christmas time (and, ergo, TRL) I have a
> choice. Buy an Xbox 360 or 6800 GT...they will probably retail for
> around the same price.
>
> OR I could blow off both, just buy a PS3 when it comes out and buy a
> new vid card later next year...choices choices choices. We'll see how
> much extra cash I have after my full-on non-stop working uni
> break....6 weeks of near full time work....yay for me. I'll almost be
> a grown-up.

I've been seeing the prices dropping on the 6800's lately in various
places. New Egg for one :)  $250 for a new 6800 GT. I paid $399 for
mine :o \
McG.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:22:19 PM

> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
> >> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
> >> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
> >> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
> >> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it
> >> did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set
> >> lower.
> >> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
> >> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with
> >> maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
> >> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
> >> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more
> >> ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out this
> >> past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
> >> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
> >> McG.
> >
> > Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
> > with 'em! I'm actually really interested!
>
> Oh alright.. ;)  It's homebrew.
> P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
> 400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800 GT-256
> meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's, 7200 rpm 8
> meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S, generic 16X DVD
> Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.

I forgot to ask....do u think all that RAM is worth it? And how do you feel
about your 6800 GT? If given the option now, would you buy an X800 or
another level 6800??

How's your LiteOn DVD writer? I'm thinking of getting one, and this super
cheap australian (kinda no-frills, at all) store www.msy.com have an LG
combo for AUD79...my bro has a Sony and says from what he read before
purchase it was highly rated.

I'm assuming your vid card is PCI-express? (I can't be arsed researching the
motherboard). Do you also think that was worth it?

> >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:38:11 PM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Linus was heard, at about
05/23/2005 09:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> This ol' machine doesn't have much more to offer, but I guess it would be
> good to wait and see what's recommended. Thanks!
> --
>
> Linus
>
> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
>>Linus wrote:
>>
>>>Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
>>>TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
>>>computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
>>>card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
>>>
>>>--
>>> :-)
>>
>>For TRL, my guess is you should take the recommended spec's for
>>AoD and add a little to it.
>>
>> -- G
>>

>>>Dennis
>>>(Linus)

You might consider looking at a PCIe based machine. I've seen new
graphics cards for these (a version of the 6800 IIRC). They have no
onboard memory, no fan, and one of them even had no heat sink. With far
fewer on-board components, they just don't generate the heat. They use
the system memory because PCIe is *bidirectional* and as fast as AGP.

The reports I've seen don't put them up as fast as the on-board memory
models (bus delay), but they are coming out *much* cheaper than those
models.

WARNING: It remains to be seen if PCIe is really going to take off. So
buying one now may be a risky proposition. There's something of a war
going on between PCIe and SATA for hard drives. Don't know if the Mobo
manufacturers are going support both standards.

McG, have you been reading up on this? ... you undoubtedly have more
recent info than I do...

---
PW
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:55:54 PM

"Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> Sorry to say I can't tell you what mother board is in this old dog. It's
an
> old Gateway Performance 750 that's been around for a while. If there is a
> way to find out, I could let you know next time around.
>
> --
> Linus

Linus, mate *softly, friendly, mately pats Linus' shoulder*, I think it's
time to upgrade.

> > I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
> > just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
> > GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
> > That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games very
> > well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it did run,
> > most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set lower.
> > My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec enough
> > to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with maxed
> > settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
> > From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
> > scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more ram
> > and a better video card. None of the really big games out this past
> > year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
> > I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
> > McG.
> >
> > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
> > > managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
> > > 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
> > > 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
> > > enough power.
> > >

> > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:55:55 PM

> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
>> Sorry to say I can't tell you what mother board is in this old dog.
>> It's an old Gateway Performance 750 that's been around for a while.
>> If there is a way to find out, I could let you know next time around.
>>
>> --
>> Linus
>
> Linus, mate *softly, friendly, mately pats Linus' shoulder*, I think
> it's time to upgrade.

I think some of our friends here have *really really* gotten their
moneys worth out of their systems!!!!
Bet you all think I'm just decadently wasteful! :o ))
McG.

>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
>>> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
>>> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
>>> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
>>> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If
>>> it did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or
>>> set lower.
>>> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
>>> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD
>>> with maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
>>> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
>>> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need
>>> more ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out
>>> this past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
>>> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
>>> McG.
>>>
>>> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:01:27 AM

> I appreciate your honesty. I had a feeling this old machine would bring
some
> critism, lol! I only wish I could afford to upgrade, I'd have a new
system,
> but I'm rapidly finding out howmuch I don't know. Had a computer for 7
years
> now and haven't learned a thing, I guess. Thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah that's always the rub - money. It all comes down to what you're going
to use your PC for...if you reckon you'll have the time and interest to play
lots of other graphics-intensive/ new games then it might be a good idea to
upgrade. But if it's only for one game, then nah, save your money and go to
a nice restaurant once a week or treat yourself in other smaller ways.
That's my philosophy.

Money isn't an end, it's simply a means to an end. It shouldn't be hoarded,
it should be used. So then it all comes down to 'well, what would I like/
need to have?' rather than 'what would be cool to have?'. Anyway, you're the
only person that can make those calls!

Nah, I didn't mean it to sound like criticism, lol! Once again, it comes
down to budge and requirements: if you wanna use your PC mostly for office
work etc, then there's nothing wrong with it.

> --
>
> Linus
>
> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> >
> > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
managed
> > > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
> > > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440
vid
> > > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
> > >
> > > --
> > > :-)
> > >
> > > Dennis
> > > (Linus)
> >
> > Unfortunetely, I have no idea. I'm hoping we'll get a demo in the next
few
> > months considering a few signs are pointing to a November release.
> >
> > Regarding your system...I'm just not sure. I haven't had
that...uhm...how
> > can I put this...gentle a system for a very long time!
> > I imagine it would run, but it would be have to be at pretty poor
> resolution
> > and very low detail levels. But who knows at this point?
> > What I would suggest is that if you'd like more meat to your system
> anyway,
> > you should definitely upgrade. This new TR sounds really great, so
you're
> > gonna want to really really experience it, right?! If you only just
> > 'managed' to get AoD running...things don't bode well. Ultimately, my
> advice
> > is to wait until at least they release a demo, then test your system
with
> > that demo, or even better wait until it's out, either hire it or buy it
> from
> > EB, test it out and then you can return it if needs be.
> >
> > I have 512mb RAM, AMD something or other (1.9-2.1 GHz), ATI 9600 XT
256mb,
> > XP pro.
> >
> > I can run Doom 3 at a very high res, high detail and it looks beautiful.
> >
> > My system ain't as powerful as McG's (jsut wait till he shares his
specs!)
> > but it's pretty decent.
> >
> > I'm hoping TRL will run very well.
> >
> > I've now decided that I can either buy an Xbox 360 or a new super
graphics
> > card (at a budget of AUD500)...so either way TRL is going to look very
> drool
> > worthy (I hope).
> >

> > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> helpful

> Thank

> in

May 24, 2005 12:01:28 AM

I agree, completely. No, I didn't take a word of what you said as sarcastic
criticism, but constructive, and I do thank you for the info.

--

Linus

> [...]
> with
> > > that demo, or even better wait until it's out, either hire it or buy
it
> > from
> > > EB, test it out and then you can return it if needs be.
> > >
> > > I have 512mb RAM, AMD something or other (1.9-2.1 GHz), ATI 9600 XT
> 256mb,
> > > XP pro.
> > >
> > > I can run Doom 3 at a very high res, high detail and it looks
beautiful.

> > > My system ain't as powerful as McG's (jsut wait till he shares his
> specs!)
> > > but it's pretty decent.
> > >
> > > I'm hoping TRL will run very well.
> > >
> > > I've now decided that I can either buy an Xbox 360 or a new super
> graphics
> > > card (at a budget of AUD500)...so either way TRL is going to look very

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:32:41 AM

"Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D iqke.65868$IO.58426@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Linus was heard, at about
> 05/23/2005 09:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> > This ol' machine doesn't have much more to offer, but I guess it would
be
> > good to wait and see what's recommended. Thanks!
> > --
> >
> > Linus
> >
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> >>For TRL, my guess is you should take the recommended spec's for
> >>AoD and add a little to it.
> >>
> >> -- G

> You might consider looking at a PCIe based machine. I've seen new
> graphics cards for these (a version of the 6800 IIRC). They have no
> onboard memory, no fan, and one of them even had no heat sink. With far
> fewer on-board components, they just don't generate the heat. They use
> the system memory because PCIe is *bidirectional* and as fast as AGP.
>
> The reports I've seen don't put them up as fast as the on-board memory
> models (bus delay), but they are coming out *much* cheaper than those
> models.

I'm currently doing some reasearch on high-perf graph cards, because,
well...McGrandpa has got me all skittish like a schoolgirl on a trip to the
Grampians...

My view is, the problem with PCI-express is you have to buy a new
motherboard, and they're kinda pointless unless you're opting for the 6800
Ultra SLI...

I reckon it's going to be better to wait until at least the next gen cards
are released (the 7800 IIRC is due at the end of June - I'm not sure about
new ATI's...I'm not sure if the X850 is meant to be it for a while or what),
and to give PCI-express a little more time.

On the other hand, like you say, they are cheaper...but IMHO, not by much.

> WARNING: It remains to be seen if PCIe is really going to take off. So
> buying one now may be a risky proposition. There's something of a war
> going on between PCIe and SATA for hard drives. Don't know if the Mobo
> manufacturers are going support both standards.
>
> McG, have you been reading up on this? ... you undoubtedly have more
> recent info than I do...
>
> ---
> PW
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:45:45 AM

> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:D iqke.65868$IO.58426@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Linus was heard, at about
>> 05/23/2005 09:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>> This ol' machine doesn't have much more to offer, but I guess it
>>> would be good to wait and see what's recommended. Thanks!
>>> --
>>>
>>> Linus
>>>
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>> You might consider looking at a PCIe based machine. I've seen new
>> graphics cards for these (a version of the 6800 IIRC). They have no
>> onboard memory, no fan, and one of them even had no heat sink. With
>> far fewer on-board components, they just don't generate the heat.
>> They use the system memory because PCIe is *bidirectional* and as
>> fast as AGP.
>>
>> The reports I've seen don't put them up as fast as the on-board
>> memory models (bus delay), but they are coming out *much* cheaper
>> than those models.
>>

> I'm currently doing some reasearch on high-perf graph cards, because,
> well...McGrandpa has got me all skittish like a schoolgirl on a trip
> to the Grampians...
>
> My view is, the problem with PCI-express is you have to buy a new
> motherboard, and they're kinda pointless unless you're opting for the
> 6800 Ultra SLI...
>
> I reckon it's going to be better to wait until at least the next gen
> cards are released (the 7800 IIRC is due at the end of June - I'm not
> sure about new ATI's...I'm not sure if the X850 is meant to be it for
> a while or what), and to give PCI-express a little more time.
>
> On the other hand, like you say, they are cheaper...but IMHO, not by
> much.
>
>> WARNING: It remains to be seen if PCIe is really going to take off.
>> So buying one now may be a risky proposition. There's something of
>> a war going on between PCIe and SATA for hard drives. Don't know if
>> the Mobo manufacturers are going support both standards.
>>
>> McG, have you been reading up on this? ... you undoubtedly have more
>> recent info than I do...
>>
>> ---
>> PW

PCI Express is as here to stay as PCI was :-\ It supposedly makes AGP a
moot issue. By now, my FC2-478 is a dinosaur as related to current
offerings.
My next CPU is most likely to be an AMD. dual core that is :)  I'm
looking hard at the A64-4200 X2 and whatever mobos it will work in. It
doesn't even have to be a PCI-E mobo. That's good. Will save me a
bundle on ram and video card! I'm really not so sure PCI-E is what
it's all touted to be yet. So far, the *ONLY* advantage I've seen to it
is if you want to run 2 video cards in SLI. So if you're after the top
notch gaming performer, you're not only getting PCI-Express, you're also
spending moolah galore on two top notch video cards. That's not for
me. I've got decent game performance now with the latest games. So
there is this, the 6800GT or Ultra AGP flavor is gonna give you a solid
year or two worth of goodness while the PCI-E dust settles some. It's
kinda like crossing the line going from Friends to Lovers... there's no
going back.
McG.
!