The 2nd Legends trailer

Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to register at
the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank you in advance.

--
Linus
29 answers Last reply

    "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
    > alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
    > register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
    > you in advance.

    Going up now.
    McG.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second trailer
    ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful people out
    there.
    --
    :-)

    Linus

    > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
    > > alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
    > > register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
    > > you in advance.
    >
    > Going up now.
    > McG.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
    > alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to register
    at
    > the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank you in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Linus

    Yo! Go straight to www.gamespot.com and search for TR Legend....or here's a
    direct link

    http://tinyurl.com/blsln

    or here

    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/tombraidervii/media.html?gcst=tombraider
    l_om_mul_051805.asx
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
    > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    >> Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
    >> alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
    >> register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
    >> you in advance.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Linus
    >>

    > Yo! Go straight to www.gamespot.com and search for TR Legend....or
    > here's a direct link
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/blsln
    >
    > or here
    >
    > http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/tombraidervii/media.html?gcst=tombraider
    > l_om_mul_051805.asx

    it's now on alt.binaries.lara.croft for some odd reason ;)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second
    > trailer ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful
    > people out there.

    >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    >>> Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
    >>> alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
    >>> register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
    >>> you in advance.
    >>
    >> Going up now.
    >> McG.

    You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
    people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs out in
    this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
    McG.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
    TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
    computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
    card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.

    --
    :-)

    Dennis
    (Linus)

    > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second
    > > trailer ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful
    > > people out there.
    > >
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Going up now.
    > >> McG.
    >
    > You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
    > people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs out in
    > this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
    > McG.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
    just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
    GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
    That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games very
    well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it did run,
    most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set lower.
    My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec enough
    to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with maxed
    settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
    From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
    scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more ram
    and a better video card. None of the really big games out this past
    year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
    I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
    McG.

    > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
    > managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
    > 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
    > 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
    > enough power.

    >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    >>> Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second
    >>> trailer ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such
    >>> helpful people out there.
    >>>
    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
    >> people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs
    >> out in this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
    >> McG.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Linus wrote:
    > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
    > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
    > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
    > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.

    I doubt it. I had same video card, IIRC same amount of RAM and 2.4GHZ
    CPU and was able to run pretty crippled TRAoD (compared to TRAoD after I
    upgraded RAM to 1G and video card to ATI Radeon 9800 Pro).

    you might be able to run TRL but not in full glory, however recent
    engines are fairly good in degrading sort of gracefully so if the game
    play is good it might still be acceptable.

    I'd upgrade RAM first to at least 512MB (won't go out of date) then
    later on video card (to whatever is cheap/good enough at that time) when
    the game (you're interested in, not sure if it's TRL) is released
    because those get outdated very fast. I doubt you'll need latest CPU but
    getting something above 2GHz would certainly help.

    then again it might be better go PCI Express route now (so upgrade
    everything:-) On the other hand if PCI express catches on the old PCI
    and AGP cards might become a lot cheaper...

    erik
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second trailer
    > ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful people out
    > there.
    > --
    > :-)
    >
    > Linus

    Glad to be of help.
    I've come to realise over the years that a.g.t is a very unique newsgroup...

    > > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > > Could some kind soul please post the second trailer over at
    > > > alt.binaries.lara.croft? For some unknown reason I can't seem to
    > > > register at the Eidos site and therefore can't dl the trailer. Thank
    > > > you in advance.
    > >
    > > Going up now.
    > > McG.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Sorry to say I can't tell you what mother board is in this old dog. It's an
    old Gateway Performance 750 that's been around for a while. If there is a
    way to find out, I could let you know next time around.

    --
    Linus

    > I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
    > just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
    > GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
    > That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games very
    > well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it did run,
    > most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set lower.
    > My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec enough
    > to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with maxed
    > settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
    > From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
    > scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more ram
    > and a better video card. None of the really big games out this past
    > year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
    > I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
    > McG.
    >
    > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
    > > managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
    > > 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
    > > 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
    > > enough power.
    > >

    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

    > >> You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
    > >> people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs
    > >> out in this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
    > >> McG.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Well it seems if I ever want a gape to play 'right', I gotta get rich
    somehow. Thanks for your good advice!

    --
    :-)

    Linus

    "Erik Steffl" <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Linus wrote:
    > > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
    > > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
    > > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
    > > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
    >
    > I doubt it. I had same video card, IIRC same amount of RAM and 2.4GHZ
    > CPU and was able to run pretty crippled TRAoD (compared to TRAoD after I
    > upgraded RAM to 1G and video card to ATI Radeon 9800 Pro).
    >
    > you might be able to run TRL but not in full glory, however recent
    > engines are fairly good in degrading sort of gracefully so if the game
    > play is good it might still be acceptable.
    >
    > I'd upgrade RAM first to at least 512MB (won't go out of date) then
    > later on video card (to whatever is cheap/good enough at that time) when
    > the game (you're interested in, not sure if it's TRL) is released
    > because those get outdated very fast. I doubt you'll need latest CPU but
    > getting something above 2GHz would certainly help.
    >
    > then again it might be better go PCI Express route now (so upgrade
    > everything:-) On the other hand if PCI express catches on the old PCI
    > and AGP cards might become a lot cheaper...
    >
    > erik
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
    > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
    > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
    > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
    >
    > --
    > :-)
    >
    > Dennis
    > (Linus)

    Unfortunetely, I have no idea. I'm hoping we'll get a demo in the next few
    months considering a few signs are pointing to a November release.

    Regarding your system...I'm just not sure. I haven't had that...uhm...how
    can I put this...gentle a system for a very long time!
    I imagine it would run, but it would be have to be at pretty poor resolution
    and very low detail levels. But who knows at this point?
    What I would suggest is that if you'd like more meat to your system anyway,
    you should definitely upgrade. This new TR sounds really great, so you're
    gonna want to really really experience it, right?! If you only just
    'managed' to get AoD running...things don't bode well. Ultimately, my advice
    is to wait until at least they release a demo, then test your system with
    that demo, or even better wait until it's out, either hire it or buy it from
    EB, test it out and then you can return it if needs be.

    I have 512mb RAM, AMD something or other (1.9-2.1 GHz), ATI 9600 XT 256mb,
    XP pro.

    I can run Doom 3 at a very high res, high detail and it looks beautiful.

    My system ain't as powerful as McG's (jsut wait till he shares his specs!)
    but it's pretty decent.

    I'm hoping TRL will run very well.

    I've now decided that I can either buy an Xbox 360 or a new super graphics
    card (at a budget of AUD500)...so either way TRL is going to look very drool
    worthy (I hope).

    > > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > > Many thanks for all your help! I've been wanting to see the second
    > > > trailer ever since I'd heard there was one. Nice to have such helpful
    > > > people out there.
    > > >
    > > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
    > > people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs out in
    > > this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
    > > McG.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    I appreciate your honesty. I had a feeling this old machine would bring some
    critism, lol! I only wish I could afford to upgrade, I'd have a new system,
    but I'm rapidly finding out howmuch I don't know. Had a computer for 7 years
    now and haven't learned a thing, I guess. Thanks for your suggestions.

    --

    Linus

    > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
    > > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
    > > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
    > > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
    > >
    > > --
    > > :-)
    > >
    > > Dennis
    > > (Linus)
    >
    > Unfortunetely, I have no idea. I'm hoping we'll get a demo in the next few
    > months considering a few signs are pointing to a November release.
    >
    > Regarding your system...I'm just not sure. I haven't had that...uhm...how
    > can I put this...gentle a system for a very long time!
    > I imagine it would run, but it would be have to be at pretty poor
    resolution
    > and very low detail levels. But who knows at this point?
    > What I would suggest is that if you'd like more meat to your system
    anyway,
    > you should definitely upgrade. This new TR sounds really great, so you're
    > gonna want to really really experience it, right?! If you only just
    > 'managed' to get AoD running...things don't bode well. Ultimately, my
    advice
    > is to wait until at least they release a demo, then test your system with
    > that demo, or even better wait until it's out, either hire it or buy it
    from
    > EB, test it out and then you can return it if needs be.
    >
    > I have 512mb RAM, AMD something or other (1.9-2.1 GHz), ATI 9600 XT 256mb,
    > XP pro.
    >
    > I can run Doom 3 at a very high res, high detail and it looks beautiful.
    >
    > My system ain't as powerful as McG's (jsut wait till he shares his specs!)
    > but it's pretty decent.
    >
    > I'm hoping TRL will run very well.
    >
    > I've now decided that I can either buy an Xbox 360 or a new super graphics
    > card (at a budget of AUD500)...so either way TRL is going to look very
    drool
    > worthy (I hope).
    >

    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

    Thank

    > > > You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
    > > > people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs out
    in
    > > > this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
    > > > McG.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
    > just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
    > GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
    > That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games very
    > well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it did run,
    > most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set lower.
    > My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec enough
    > to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with maxed
    > settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
    > From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
    > scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more ram
    > and a better video card. None of the really big games out this past
    > year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
    > I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
    > McG.

    Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out with
    'em! I'm actually really interested!

    > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
    > > managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
    > > 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
    > > 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
    > > enough power.
    > >

    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

    > >> You're welcome! Dragoncarer and I just happened to be a couple of
    > >> people on the scene. I know that pretty much everyone that hangs
    > >> out in this newsgroup is happy to help whenever they can.
    > >> McG.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    >> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
    >> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
    >> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
    >> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
    >> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it
    >> did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set
    >> lower.
    >> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
    >> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with
    >> maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
    >> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
    >> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more
    >> ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out this
    >> past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
    >> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
    >> McG.
    >
    > Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
    > with 'em! I'm actually really interested!

    Oh alright.. ;) It's homebrew.
    P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
    400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800 GT-256
    meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's, 7200 rpm 8
    meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S, generic 16X DVD
    Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.

    >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    >>> Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
    >>> managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
    >>> 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
    >>> 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
    >>> enough power.
    >>>

    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
    world domination, McGrandpa mentioned

    >> Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
    >> with 'em! I'm actually really interested!
    >
    >Oh alright.. ;) It's homebrew.
    >P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
    >400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800 GT-256
    >meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's, 7200 rpm 8
    >meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S, generic 16X DVD
    >Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.

    Waaaaahhhh!! Mummy, Mummy, I WANT ONE LIKE HE'S GOT, MUMMY!!!!
    ..
    ..
    "When in danger or in doubt,
    Run in circles, scream and shout"
    ..
    It's not just a management tool,
    It's a philosophy for living!!
    ..
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Linus wrote:

    > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
    > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
    > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
    > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
    >
    > --
    > :-)

    For TRL, my guess is you should take the recommended spec's for
    AoD and add a little to it.

    -- G

    > Dennis
    > (Linus)
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    This ol' machine doesn't have much more to offer, but I guess it would be
    good to wait and see what's recommended. Thanks!
    --

    Linus

    "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Linus wrote:
    > >
    > > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
    > > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
    > > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
    > > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
    > >
    > > --
    > > :-)
    >
    > For TRL, my guess is you should take the recommended spec's for
    > AoD and add a little to it.
    >
    > -- G
    >
    > > Dennis
    > > (Linus)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > Sorry to say I can't tell you what mother board is in this old dog.
    > It's an old Gateway Performance 750 that's been around for a while.
    > If there is a way to find out, I could let you know next time around.

    Well, it's newer and more powerful than the PC's used where I work!
    They're using Dell P3-500 or 550 systems with at most 256 megs ram and a
    built in Rage3D ATI graphics chip and onboard sound and onboard LAN
    adapter. There are no expansion cards in any of them. they run NT4 or
    W2K. Most don't even have the USB ports enabled. NT won't do that
    easily :)

    I'd already had a faster machine I built by the time the company got
    these ones :)
    Now, my 'little junkbox' in the living room I just tinker with is more
    powerful than any of those.

    But they get "work" done for the company. Nuff said.
    McG.

    >> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
    >> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
    >> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
    >> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
    >> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it
    >> did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set
    >> lower.
    >> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
    >> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with
    >> maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
    >> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
    >> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more
    >> ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out this
    >> past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
    >> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
    >> McG.
    >>
    >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    >>> Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
    >>> managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
    >>> 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
    >>> 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
    >>> enough power.
    >>>

    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
    > >> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
    > >> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
    > >> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
    > >> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it
    > >> did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set
    > >> lower.
    > >> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
    > >> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with
    > >> maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
    > >> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
    > >> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more
    > >> ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out this
    > >> past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
    > >> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
    > >> McG.
    > >
    > > Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
    > > with 'em! I'm actually really interested!
    >
    > Oh alright.. ;) It's homebrew.
    > P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
    > 400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800 GT-256
    > meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's, 7200 rpm 8
    > meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S, generic 16X DVD
    > Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.

    ahhhhhh....I don't really understand most of the jargon, but I've picked out
    the highlights....

    I've decided that come Christmas time (and, ergo, TRL) I have a choice. Buy
    an Xbox 360 or 6800 GT...they will probably retail for around the same
    price.

    OR I could blow off both, just buy a PS3 when it comes out and buy a new vid
    card later next year...choices choices choices. We'll see how much extra
    cash I have after my full-on non-stop working uni break....6 weeks of near
    full time work....yay for me. I'll almost be a grown-up.

    > >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    >> "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
    >>> with 'em! I'm actually really interested!
    >>
    >> Oh alright.. ;) It's homebrew.
    >> P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
    >> 400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800
    >> GT-256 meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's,
    >> 7200 rpm 8 meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S,
    >> generic 16X DVD Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.
    >>

    > ahhhhhh....I don't really understand most of the jargon, but I've
    > picked out the highlights....
    >
    > I've decided that come Christmas time (and, ergo, TRL) I have a
    > choice. Buy an Xbox 360 or 6800 GT...they will probably retail for
    > around the same price.
    >
    > OR I could blow off both, just buy a PS3 when it comes out and buy a
    > new vid card later next year...choices choices choices. We'll see how
    > much extra cash I have after my full-on non-stop working uni
    > break....6 weeks of near full time work....yay for me. I'll almost be
    > a grown-up.

    I've been seeing the prices dropping on the 6800's lately in various
    places. New Egg for one :) $250 for a new 6800 GT. I paid $399 for
    mine :o\
    McG.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
    > >> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
    > >> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
    > >> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
    > >> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it
    > >> did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set
    > >> lower.
    > >> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
    > >> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with
    > >> maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
    > >> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
    > >> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more
    > >> ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out this
    > >> past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
    > >> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
    > >> McG.
    > >
    > > Eh, c'mon McG...don't fiddle-fart around your 'main rig' specs! Out
    > > with 'em! I'm actually really interested!
    >
    > Oh alright.. ;) It's homebrew.
    > P4-3.0E (Prescott core fc2-478) 800fsb/1meg L2, 4 x 512meg PC3200 @
    > 400DDR and dual channel, Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000-G mobo, eVGA 6800 GT-256
    > meg, TB Santa Cruz is the noisemaker, XP Pro SP2. 2 WD HD's, 7200 rpm 8
    > meg cache, 160gig and 60 gig, LiteOn DVDRW-SOHW812S, generic 16X DVD
    > Rom, 430W Emermax TruePower PS.

    I forgot to ask....do u think all that RAM is worth it? And how do you feel
    about your 6800 GT? If given the option now, would you buy an X800 or
    another level 6800??

    How's your LiteOn DVD writer? I'm thinking of getting one, and this super
    cheap australian (kinda no-frills, at all) store www.msy.com have an LG
    combo for AUD79...my bro has a Sony and says from what he read before
    purchase it was highly rated.

    I'm assuming your vid card is PCI-express? (I can't be arsed researching the
    motherboard). Do you also think that was worth it?

    > >> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Linus was heard, at about
    05/23/2005 09:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
    > This ol' machine doesn't have much more to offer, but I guess it would be
    > good to wait and see what's recommended. Thanks!
    > --
    >
    > Linus
    >
    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Linus wrote:
    >>
    >>>Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I managed
    >>>TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
    >>>computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440 vid
    >>>card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>> :-)
    >>
    >>For TRL, my guess is you should take the recommended spec's for
    >>AoD and add a little to it.
    >>
    >> -- G
    >>

    >>>Dennis
    >>>(Linus)

    You might consider looking at a PCIe based machine. I've seen new
    graphics cards for these (a version of the 6800 IIRC). They have no
    onboard memory, no fan, and one of them even had no heat sink. With far
    fewer on-board components, they just don't generate the heat. They use
    the system memory because PCIe is *bidirectional* and as fast as AGP.

    The reports I've seen don't put them up as fast as the on-board memory
    models (bus delay), but they are coming out *much* cheaper than those
    models.

    WARNING: It remains to be seen if PCIe is really going to take off. So
    buying one now may be a risky proposition. There's something of a war
    going on between PCIe and SATA for hard drives. Don't know if the Mobo
    manufacturers are going support both standards.

    McG, have you been reading up on this? ... you undoubtedly have more
    recent info than I do...

    ---
    PW
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > Sorry to say I can't tell you what mother board is in this old dog. It's
    an
    > old Gateway Performance 750 that's been around for a while. If there is a
    > way to find out, I could let you know next time around.
    >
    > --
    > Linus

    Linus, mate *softly, friendly, mately pats Linus' shoulder*, I think it's
    time to upgrade.

    > > I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
    > > just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
    > > GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
    > > That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games very
    > > well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If it did run,
    > > most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or set lower.
    > > My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec enough
    > > to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD with maxed
    > > settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
    > > From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
    > > scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need more ram
    > > and a better video card. None of the really big games out this past
    > > year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
    > > I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
    > > McG.
    > >
    > > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
    > > > managed TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more
    > > > 'meat' to my computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia
    > > > 64Mb MMx 440 vid card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's
    > > > enough power.
    > > >

    > > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    >> Sorry to say I can't tell you what mother board is in this old dog.
    >> It's an old Gateway Performance 750 that's been around for a while.
    >> If there is a way to find out, I could let you know next time around.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Linus
    >
    > Linus, mate *softly, friendly, mately pats Linus' shoulder*, I think
    > it's time to upgrade.

    I think some of our friends here have *really really* gotten their
    moneys worth out of their systems!!!!
    Bet you all think I'm just decadently wasteful! :o))
    McG.

    >> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've looked for that information, but System Specs hasn't been outed
    >>> just yet. I have a P3-800 (Abit BE6-IIv1 Slot1), 768 megs SDram,
    >>> GeForce4 Ti4600, 98SE and a cheep Seal PCI sound card.
    >>> That system runs the 3 Quakes, Duke Nukem 3D and other older games
    >>> very well. I didn't think it would run AoD very well at all. If
    >>> it did run, most of the bells and whistles would have to be off or
    >>> set lower.
    >>> My main rig is another story. I DO try to keep a rig up to spec
    >>> enough to run the latest games I enjoy. On this one, I run AoD
    >>> with maxed settings and all the goodies and have power to spare.
    >>> From the looks of the trailers and footage, I'd bet that Legend will
    >>> scale to hardware even like what you have. You definitely need
    >>> more ram and a better video card. None of the really big games out
    >>> this past year will work well with only 256 megs system ram.
    >>> I'm curious, what motherboard do you have?
    >>> McG.
    >>>
    >>> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > I appreciate your honesty. I had a feeling this old machine would bring
    some
    > critism, lol! I only wish I could afford to upgrade, I'd have a new
    system,
    > but I'm rapidly finding out howmuch I don't know. Had a computer for 7
    years
    > now and haven't learned a thing, I guess. Thanks for your suggestions.

    Yeah that's always the rub - money. It all comes down to what you're going
    to use your PC for...if you reckon you'll have the time and interest to play
    lots of other graphics-intensive/ new games then it might be a good idea to
    upgrade. But if it's only for one game, then nah, save your money and go to
    a nice restaurant once a week or treat yourself in other smaller ways.
    That's my philosophy.

    Money isn't an end, it's simply a means to an end. It shouldn't be hoarded,
    it should be used. So then it all comes down to 'well, what would I like/
    need to have?' rather than 'what would be cool to have?'. Anyway, you're the
    only person that can make those calls!

    Nah, I didn't mean it to sound like criticism, lol! Once again, it comes
    down to budge and requirements: if you wanna use your PC mostly for office
    work etc, then there's nothing wrong with it.

    > --
    >
    > Linus
    >
    > "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > > Do you happen to have any info on system requirements for TRL? I
    managed
    > > > TROAD ok, but it would have been nice to have a bit more 'meat' to my
    > > > computer. Stilll running '98se with 256Mb and an Nvidia 64Mb MMx 440
    vid
    > > > card. and 750 Mhz Pentium 3. I'm hoping there's enough power.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > :-)
    > > >
    > > > Dennis
    > > > (Linus)
    > >
    > > Unfortunetely, I have no idea. I'm hoping we'll get a demo in the next
    few
    > > months considering a few signs are pointing to a November release.
    > >
    > > Regarding your system...I'm just not sure. I haven't had
    that...uhm...how
    > > can I put this...gentle a system for a very long time!
    > > I imagine it would run, but it would be have to be at pretty poor
    > resolution
    > > and very low detail levels. But who knows at this point?
    > > What I would suggest is that if you'd like more meat to your system
    > anyway,
    > > you should definitely upgrade. This new TR sounds really great, so
    you're
    > > gonna want to really really experience it, right?! If you only just
    > > 'managed' to get AoD running...things don't bode well. Ultimately, my
    > advice
    > > is to wait until at least they release a demo, then test your system
    with
    > > that demo, or even better wait until it's out, either hire it or buy it
    > from
    > > EB, test it out and then you can return it if needs be.
    > >
    > > I have 512mb RAM, AMD something or other (1.9-2.1 GHz), ATI 9600 XT
    256mb,
    > > XP pro.
    > >
    > > I can run Doom 3 at a very high res, high detail and it looks beautiful.
    > >
    > > My system ain't as powerful as McG's (jsut wait till he shares his
    specs!)
    > > but it's pretty decent.
    > >
    > > I'm hoping TRL will run very well.
    > >
    > > I've now decided that I can either buy an Xbox 360 or a new super
    graphics
    > > card (at a budget of AUD500)...so either way TRL is going to look very
    > drool
    > > worthy (I hope).
    > >

    > > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > helpful

    > Thank

    > in

  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    I agree, completely. No, I didn't take a word of what you said as sarcastic
    criticism, but constructive, and I do thank you for the info.

    --

    Linus

> [...]
    > with
    > > > that demo, or even better wait until it's out, either hire it or buy
    it
    > > from
    > > > EB, test it out and then you can return it if needs be.
    > > >
    > > > I have 512mb RAM, AMD something or other (1.9-2.1 GHz), ATI 9600 XT
    > 256mb,
    > > > XP pro.
    > > >
    > > > I can run Doom 3 at a very high res, high detail and it looks
    beautiful.

    > > > My system ain't as powerful as McG's (jsut wait till he shares his
    > specs!)
    > > > but it's pretty decent.
    > > >
    > > > I'm hoping TRL will run very well.
    > > >
    > > > I've now decided that I can either buy an Xbox 360 or a new super
    > graphics
    > > > card (at a budget of AUD500)...so either way TRL is going to look very

  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
    > In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Linus was heard, at about
    > 05/23/2005 09:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
    > > This ol' machine doesn't have much more to offer, but I guess it would
    be
    > > good to wait and see what's recommended. Thanks!
    > > --
    > >
    > > Linus
    > >
    > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > >>For TRL, my guess is you should take the recommended spec's for
    > >>AoD and add a little to it.
    > >>
    > >> -- G

    > You might consider looking at a PCIe based machine. I've seen new
    > graphics cards for these (a version of the 6800 IIRC). They have no
    > onboard memory, no fan, and one of them even had no heat sink. With far
    > fewer on-board components, they just don't generate the heat. They use
    > the system memory because PCIe is *bidirectional* and as fast as AGP.
    >
    > The reports I've seen don't put them up as fast as the on-board memory
    > models (bus delay), but they are coming out *much* cheaper than those
    > models.

    I'm currently doing some reasearch on high-perf graph cards, because,
    well...McGrandpa has got me all skittish like a schoolgirl on a trip to the
    Grampians...

    My view is, the problem with PCI-express is you have to buy a new
    motherboard, and they're kinda pointless unless you're opting for the 6800
    Ultra SLI...

    I reckon it's going to be better to wait until at least the next gen cards
    are released (the 7800 IIRC is due at the end of June - I'm not sure about
    new ATI's...I'm not sure if the X850 is meant to be it for a while or what),
    and to give PCI-express a little more time.

    On the other hand, like you say, they are cheaper...but IMHO, not by much.

    > WARNING: It remains to be seen if PCIe is really going to take off. So
    > buying one now may be a risky proposition. There's something of a war
    > going on between PCIe and SATA for hard drives. Don't know if the Mobo
    > manufacturers are going support both standards.
    >
    > McG, have you been reading up on this? ... you undoubtedly have more
    > recent info than I do...
    >
    > ---
    > PW
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Linus was heard, at about
    >> 05/23/2005 09:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
    >>> This ol' machine doesn't have much more to offer, but I guess it
    >>> would be good to wait and see what's recommended. Thanks!
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Linus
    >>>
    >>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >> You might consider looking at a PCIe based machine. I've seen new
    >> graphics cards for these (a version of the 6800 IIRC). They have no
    >> onboard memory, no fan, and one of them even had no heat sink. With
    >> far fewer on-board components, they just don't generate the heat.
    >> They use the system memory because PCIe is *bidirectional* and as
    >> fast as AGP.
    >>
    >> The reports I've seen don't put them up as fast as the on-board
    >> memory models (bus delay), but they are coming out *much* cheaper
    >> than those models.
    >>

    > I'm currently doing some reasearch on high-perf graph cards, because,
    > well...McGrandpa has got me all skittish like a schoolgirl on a trip
    > to the Grampians...
    >
    > My view is, the problem with PCI-express is you have to buy a new
    > motherboard, and they're kinda pointless unless you're opting for the
    > 6800 Ultra SLI...
    >
    > I reckon it's going to be better to wait until at least the next gen
    > cards are released (the 7800 IIRC is due at the end of June - I'm not
    > sure about new ATI's...I'm not sure if the X850 is meant to be it for
    > a while or what), and to give PCI-express a little more time.
    >
    > On the other hand, like you say, they are cheaper...but IMHO, not by
    > much.
    >
    >> WARNING: It remains to be seen if PCIe is really going to take off.
    >> So buying one now may be a risky proposition. There's something of
    >> a war going on between PCIe and SATA for hard drives. Don't know if
    >> the Mobo manufacturers are going support both standards.
    >>
    >> McG, have you been reading up on this? ... you undoubtedly have more
    >> recent info than I do...
    >>
    >> ---
    >> PW

    PCI Express is as here to stay as PCI was :-\ It supposedly makes AGP a
    moot issue. By now, my FC2-478 is a dinosaur as related to current
    offerings.
    My next CPU is most likely to be an AMD. dual core that is :) I'm
    looking hard at the A64-4200 X2 and whatever mobos it will work in. It
    doesn't even have to be a PCI-E mobo. That's good. Will save me a
    bundle on ram and video card! I'm really not so sure PCI-E is what
    it's all touted to be yet. So far, the *ONLY* advantage I've seen to it
    is if you want to run 2 video cards in SLI. So if you're after the top
    notch gaming performer, you're not only getting PCI-Express, you're also
    spending moolah galore on two top notch video cards. That's not for
    me. I've got decent game performance now with the latest games. So
    there is this, the 6800GT or Ultra AGP flavor is gonna give you a solid
    year or two worth of goodness while the PCI-E dust settles some. It's
    kinda like crossing the line going from Friends to Lovers... there's no
    going back.
    McG.

Games Video Games