Problem Joining Domian

I am having trouble with setting an XP SP2 box to join a domain. There are 4
WinXP sp2 boxes that are joined to a domain called ABC (Win2K server). When
I try to join a 5th box I get an error saying the domain can’t be found.

Things I have tried:

I have used the network config utility and it take about 2 min then does not
find the server. This worked with the other boxes

I was able to make the computer change the domain via the change button and
manually typing in the information. After reboot I am not able to log into
the domain. I have tried with the users account and password as well as the
win2K server admin account and password

The IP address must be good because it recognized the domain. I know this
b/c when I assigned a domain name ABC it resolved it to abc.acb.com

Thanks for help in advance,

Stewart
1 answer Last reply
More about problem joining domian

    Can you ping the domain controller.
    Open a command prompt, type ping dcname
    If this fails you have no connectivity

    Verify your IP address.
    Open a command prompt, type ipconfig /all
    Do you see valid address, mask and gateway.
    Is the DNS server address right

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "Datasort" <Datasort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having trouble with setting an XP SP2 box to join a domain. There are
    >4
    > WinXP sp2 boxes that are joined to a domain called ABC (Win2K server).
    > When
    > I try to join a 5th box I get an error saying the domain can't be found.
    >

    > Things I have tried:
    >
    > I have used the network config utility and it take about 2 min then does
    > not
    > find the server. This worked with the other boxes
    >
    > I was able to make the computer change the domain via the change button
    > and
    > manually typing in the information. After reboot I am not able to log into
    > the domain. I have tried with the users account and password as well as
    > the
    > win2K server admin account and password
    >
    > The IP address must be good because it recognized the domain. I know this
    > b/c when I assigned a domain name ABC it resolved it to abc.acb.com
    >
    > Thanks for help in advance,
    >
    > Stewart

Configuration Domain Servers Windows XP