Sign in with
Your question

New PC

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 23, 2010 2:45:09 PM

Hi,

I currently have a Dell Dimension 9200 (E6400@2.13GHz), 4Gb DDR2 RAM (4x1GB; 2 running at 400mHz, 2 at 266mHz) and a 256MB Radeon X1300 graphics card.

From my basic knowledge, I know that the 2 RAM that can go to 400mHz are not due to the 2 at 266mHz. I also understand that this PC probably couldn't play Blu-Rays if I buy a blu-ray player.

I am looking to buy a whole new PC. However, mMy question is, for a non-gaming PC that I only wish to run Internet, Office and the occasional (basic) video editing/burning, should I go for the fastest CPU I can afford, increase my RAM to 8GB or get a better graphics card?

Should I go AMD (X4 640) or intel (Q8400) or something else all together?

More about : question

a c 159 à CPUs
August 23, 2010 2:59:54 PM

You don't need to do anything. Your internet and word processing speed won't increase with more ram or a faster cpu. If anything, I recommend a 32 gb ssd if you can find one new for around $60 or less and have all your original windows installation cd's. Or you can clone your old drive if you don't have too many files with maxblast 5.0 or similar software. Cloning a drive takes about 20 minutes.
August 23, 2010 3:18:50 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
You don't need to do anything.

Does this mean that my current setup (with a blu-ray drive) will be able to play and burn blu-rays without too much difficulty?

Neil
a c 159 à CPUs
August 23, 2010 4:43:31 PM

Cheapest upgrade might be a low end video card with hdmi port on the card. Some of those play blueray. The blueray internal dvd burners have been less then $100 recently, but I've never used one. The blueray internal dvd players might go for $60 on sale. The 4670 chipset video cards will also run without a power supply upgrade. Higher end cards sometimes require a stronger ps.
!