Mixing Mated Pairs

counterc

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
I'd like to get some input.

I recently built a strong little budget machine and at the time could only afford 4 gigs of memory. Now I'm looking to move to 8 gigs to help with video rendering and a couple of other apps. I am very happy with the memory I purchased ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193 ) as it runs blistering fast and I have overclocked the timings with no problem. Because of this I am considering adding the same set as my upgrade to fill out my 8 gigs.

So this is where I need the input. I know my current memory is a mated pair and I understand that this memory came off of the same run when being manufactured. If I buy another set these many months later I'm sure the product will be from a different run. Do I run the risk of there being enough difference between the two separate purchases that it will affect performance or cause me to have to revert my timings back the base specs?

My initial thought is that I should be OK but this build is overclocked at just about every corner and I would like to get some input before proceeding.

Let me know what you think and thanks for the input.

jb6684

Distinguished
Yeah, there's very little to be gained with an OC on the RAM. You'll also find that 4 sticks won't OC as high as 2 sticks (due to the extra load on the memory controller in the CPU).

And, you'll find there isn't much margin to OC RAM, they test and sell 'em very near their limits.....

Now most CPUs can be OC 200Mhz to 800Mhz (or more....)