Windows won't boot with Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

Hey guys,

I had my Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT in my computer on PCI, and it has been runnign nicely for the past few years. However, I, on a really really really dumb hunch, tried to put in my FX 5200 on AGP as well and have both cards (Yes, I knew beforehand that it wouldn't work, but I wanted to give it a try. Please don't rip on me for this.). Well since the 5200 was on AGP and AGP is dedicated to graphics, it was the only one outputting. I took it out, and when I went to boot back up windows, it would bluescreen and give me some error about a driver called nvlddmkm.sys. However when I boot with the 5200, it works fine. How do I fix it so that I can use my 8500 GT??

Thanks!
PudgyChicken

P.S.
I have another unrelated question. On my other HDD I have windows XP, and I set my video card settings to have my primary display be my tv and my monitor be a secondary. Trouble is, even though I have my TV connected via a DVI-HDMI cable, it doesn't show up. Whenever I try to start up an application, it opens it on the tv, which I can't see, so I cannot change the settings. Is it possible to reset the video settings by deleting an .ini file or something?
10 answers Last reply
More about windows boot nvidia geforce 8500
  1. Have you tried booting with the 5200 in and then uninstalling the graphic driver, shutting down, swapping cards and then installing the latest driver?
  2. Mousemonkey said:
    Have you tried booting with the 5200 in and then uninstalling the graphic driver, shutting down, swapping cards and then installing the latest driver?

    That was the first thing I tried. What happened was during the uninstallation of the 5200s drivers, it gave me a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys error.
  3. Have you tried uninstalling the drivers whilst booted in safe mode? Or what about deleting any and all Nv files from the System32 folder?
  4. If that don't work then try deleting the system32 files whilst in safe mode. Also check your BIOS to see what slot it's using for primary VGA boot.
  5. I tried to delete the nvidia drivers from sys32 but it didnt work because i had the 5200 in... ima go try to uninstall the drivers in safe mode.
  6. I successfully uninstalled the drivers and just in case removed the nvidia drivers from system32, and now it all works perfectly! I really appreciate all of your help in this matter. If possible, could you help me with the other issue I had (see 1st post)? I would greatly appreciate your insight in this matter.

    Thanks a million!
    PudgyChicken
  7. PudgyChicken said:
    I successfully uninstalled the drivers and just in case removed the nvidia drivers from system32, and now it all works perfectly! I really appreciate all of your help in this matter. If possible, could you help me with the other issue I had (see 1st post)? I would greatly appreciate your insight in this matter.

    Thanks a million!
    PudgyChicken

    Have you tried doing the same again on that other partition?
  8. Mousemonkey said:
    Have you tried doing the same again on that other partition?

    No, I have not, but it may be worth a try. I'll post back my results.
  9. It seems to have worked. I am downloading the latest drivers now.
  10. Hopefully that'll be the end of this problem. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce Nvidia Graphics