Sign in with
Your question

Windows won't boot with Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2010 5:55:41 PM

Hey guys,

I had my Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT in my computer on PCI, and it has been runnign nicely for the past few years. However, I, on a really really really dumb hunch, tried to put in my FX 5200 on AGP as well and have both cards (Yes, I knew beforehand that it wouldn't work, but I wanted to give it a try. Please don't rip on me for this.). Well since the 5200 was on AGP and AGP is dedicated to graphics, it was the only one outputting. I took it out, and when I went to boot back up windows, it would bluescreen and give me some error about a driver called nvlddmkm.sys. However when I boot with the 5200, it works fine. How do I fix it so that I can use my 8500 GT??

Thanks!
PudgyChicken

P.S.
I have another unrelated question. On my other HDD I have windows XP, and I set my video card settings to have my primary display be my tv and my monitor be a secondary. Trouble is, even though I have my TV connected via a DVI-HDMI cable, it doesn't show up. Whenever I try to start up an application, it opens it on the tv, which I can't see, so I cannot change the settings. Is it possible to reset the video settings by deleting an .ini file or something?
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
May 17, 2010 6:02:31 PM

Have you tried booting with the 5200 in and then uninstalling the graphic driver, shutting down, swapping cards and then installing the latest driver?
m
l
May 17, 2010 10:04:49 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you tried booting with the 5200 in and then uninstalling the graphic driver, shutting down, swapping cards and then installing the latest driver?

That was the first thing I tried. What happened was during the uninstallation of the 5200s drivers, it gave me a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys error.
m
l
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
May 17, 2010 10:17:38 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers whilst booted in safe mode? Or what about deleting any and all Nv files from the System32 folder?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
May 17, 2010 10:21:09 PM

If that don't work then try deleting the system32 files whilst in safe mode. Also check your BIOS to see what slot it's using for primary VGA boot.
m
l
May 17, 2010 10:21:28 PM

I tried to delete the nvidia drivers from sys32 but it didnt work because i had the 5200 in... ima go try to uninstall the drivers in safe mode.
m
l
May 18, 2010 12:20:32 AM

I successfully uninstalled the drivers and just in case removed the nvidia drivers from system32, and now it all works perfectly! I really appreciate all of your help in this matter. If possible, could you help me with the other issue I had (see 1st post)? I would greatly appreciate your insight in this matter.

Thanks a million!
PudgyChicken
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
May 18, 2010 1:30:01 AM

PudgyChicken said:
I successfully uninstalled the drivers and just in case removed the nvidia drivers from system32, and now it all works perfectly! I really appreciate all of your help in this matter. If possible, could you help me with the other issue I had (see 1st post)? I would greatly appreciate your insight in this matter.

Thanks a million!
PudgyChicken

Have you tried doing the same again on that other partition?
m
l
May 18, 2010 1:33:14 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you tried doing the same again on that other partition?

No, I have not, but it may be worth a try. I'll post back my results.
m
l
May 18, 2010 1:49:55 AM

It seems to have worked. I am downloading the latest drivers now.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
May 18, 2010 1:56:12 AM

Hopefully that'll be the end of this problem. :) 
m
l
!