Could incorrect timings cause Blue Screens?

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hey, everyone. I've been dealing with a BSOD problem for 2 weeks now and I still have not been able to troubleshoot it. I've narrowed it down to my memory, but I don't know what's making my memory crash my system. I've done the following:

■Used memtest86+, and after conducting THREE SEPARATE tests (using memtest86+) for 9+ passes each, the memory came clean (I tested my new G.Skill (2 x 2 GB) RAM)
■Used old memory and confirmed that my new G.Skill (2 x 2 GB) RAM was the culprit

I know for a fact that it's my G.Skill memory as my old memory stick gives me absolutely no crashes at all. The old stick of RAM is currently running at 6-6-6-18. Could the fact that the new memory runs at 5-5-5-15 cause BSOD's? If that's the case, then I'm a bit screwed because my BIOS is so old that I can't even adjust memory timings or voltage. Help me out.

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

I'm not mixing both sets of RAM. I either tested the computer with the old stick OR the two new sticks together. It's interesting because they past the memtest86+ with flying colors (absolutely no errors) but when under stress they give out on me. They're most likely defective so I'm going to see if I can get a replacement. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'm stuck on 2 GB for the rest of my life...