Best Setup for Recording HDTV

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. I'd really like to get my computer (build is listed under Member configuration if it matters) set up for recording off my cable (Comcast if it matters). Specifically, I'd like a solution that would allow me to record off any channel I'm currently paying for. If I could ditch the set top box, that would be a bonus, but it's certainly not a requirement.

From what I've gathered, this seems to be more difficult than it should be. I've hears/read a wide variety of things ranging from suggesting that this isn't possible with current solutions, to I'd need to install a something between the set top box and the computer, to I'd need the upcoming Ceton quad tuner ($400?! Really?), to this can be done with a typical TV tuner.

Basically, what I'm looking for is to see if anyone can confirm/deny any of the solutions above. I'd love to do this as cheap as possible, and I really don't need more than being able to record one channel and watch another at the same time. I'd say my budget is rather flexible for setting this up, but I definitely think a $400 card is just asking too much. Really, if I can just get some more info on what I need to look for in the different products to get a hint at what they can do, that'd be great.

leon2006

Distinguished
Yes it can. It has accessories to control your SAT/CABLE box. It records TV shows, HBO shows as scheduled from the SAT/CABLE box. I use windows media center to control it. Media center download the schedule of SAT/CABLE box from the internet.

I have an input switch that selects my source...SAT/CABLE box or External Antenna for local HD channels.

There are other options. I'll send you more info later

the Ceton tuner is to record premium channels without the set-top box (only need to rent a cable card type-m)

they do, thats why i said without the set top box, though you still have to rent a Cable Card from the Cable company (in the US they are required to rent it, so if they say they don't have it ask for the manager) and make sure that the cable card is the type M version (for the Ceton tuner) since it needs multi-channels, the other type (what its called is slipping my mind, maybe S) only works with single tuner cards

because the TV Tuners (not Cable Card) can't get the premium channels without the set top box (only channels with ClearQAM) , though with the Cable Card Tuners it sucks that you still need the cable cards (though no set top box)

i must say it's sad that Ceton is only releasing the Quad Tuner right now as they had originally planned for a Dual, Quad, and Hex tuners for the launch (and the dual would have been pretty cheap, HEx tuner was only for OEM's)

no, the cable companies (again, in the US) are required to broadcast the local channels (CBS, ABC, FOX, anything broadcast over the air in your area) in ClearQAM and the rest (premium channels) are usually encrypted so that a cable card tuner can decrypt them (essentially a set top box has one or more depending on the box)

after the set top box, the output isn't encrypted anymore so any Digital TV tuner can access the video stream

Machuse

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Thats exactly what MadAdmiral said...
minus saying it became ClearQAM after set-top

This seems like finally an answer to a question that has taken way to long to answer.

Question:
With the cetron product, what real benefits do i get over the hauppage?
- from what I gather t its a direct connection, and no need for settop box (and ir blaster that goes with it)
to somewhat answer my question, this would allow a server in my home to record and change automatically or on command...between 4 HDTV channels of any nature (channel 1 through channel XXXXX)

Other caviot with cetron is that I need to get a cablecard, does Comcast(my provider as well) scrutinize users with cable cards? Whats the point in providing security - then just making you get a 5$ a month device to get around it....doesnt seem worth the effort?

----
THe Happauge product, would
go cable box -> Happauge -> PCI-E inside computer
:: allow 2 HD channels
and be more labourious when changing channels etc....correct?