Asus M4A79XTD EVO

TianRunty

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I was planning on gettin the Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard but haven't until now noticed it can only power 2 case fans. I've got the Antec 300 case on the way and was thinking of adding to the two case fans it comes with just to make sure there is plenty of air circulation.
Now I have to decide whether to just stick with the two fans or change motherboards, what would you guys suggest?
I'll be running on windows 7 pro 64-bit with:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
Powercolor 5850 Graphics
Antec 300 Case
Seagate Barracuda LP ST3500412AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 5900rpm 16MB Cache - OEM x2
Samsung SH-S223 22X DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA - OEM Black

My budget for motherboard can't really go up by much and to my knowledge(of which there is little) the asus board would do me well.
Thanks for any help

Well, its good you've done your homework and know how many fan headers you have before ordering.
I believe the Antec 300 comes with a couple of tricools, which can be powered by 4 pin molex. You could add a couple of tricools, and they are excellent case fans. You could add a couple of 3 pin fans, but of course you need to ensure you have the 4 pin motherboard header available for your CPU fan.

If considering an aftermarket cooler in a push pull configuration, I recommend getting a pair of molex 4 pin fans for additional case cooling.

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Umm, I have the exact same motherboard and it has four fan headers. Two four pin, and two three pin. I also have the Antec 300. You're going to have trouble with the front panel audio connector if you go with that motherboard because its all the way in the opposite corner. In fact going from an MSI board to an ASUS board destroyed my cable management until I took everything out and redid it.

All in all, I am very happy with it.

TianRunty

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
thanks guys, the case arrived today so I had a look at the fans and I now see that they dont run from the motherboard, which means i have no worries lol, gonna grab a couple more tricools now

Poisoner - having looked at the cabling in the case for the fp audio it looks like it will reach all parts of the motherboard without too much issue, although I will be starting from scratch so maybe i'll be lucky lol

again ty