5850 Crash with most of my games

shootemup

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hello guys,

I'm guessing the video card crashes. Basically here's what happened. When I play GTA IV, Splinter Cell Conviction and Assassins Creed 2, the game suddenly stucked (not running smoothly) and then crashed. I am not sure what happened whether it is my Processor or the GPU. I tried to put the settings lower but the same thing happen. Tried to tweak around but failed. I tried to OC the GPU and CPU but the same thing happened again. Sigh...

Here's my spec,

AMD X6 3.2Ghz
Asus Crosshair
Asus EAH5850
6 gig of RAM
Windows 7 64 bit

I hope someone could help me to solve this issue. Kinda frustrated since I just built the desktop. Thanks a bunch guys! Really appreciate your help.

Burn memtest image to disc and reboot from your new memtest disc.You could run it for 8hrs but it's not really necessary.Load your first test with just one memory stick,that way you can isolate which module if any is the culprit by testing one module at a time.
If any errors are detected you will see red text.
I had the same problems as you're having a couple of months ago after adding 2 new modules of memory to an existing set-up.
Turns out one stick was bad and i had to rma both modules.Caused nothing but grief until rectified.

Cpu - Intel i-7 860
Mobo - Gigabyte P55-UD5
Mem - Corsair Dominator 1600CL8\ 8 GB
HS - Thermalright MUX-120
GPU - XFX 5850 Black
Psu - Corsair HX 750
Sound - Auzen Forte 7.1
Case - Antec 902
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64

Good luck!

shootemup

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
What I did before, using drivesweeper for to clean up all the drivers and reinstall for the new catalyst.

sigh.... it works at first, but the problem starts again when I tried to play the same game tonight. It started to stuck, not running smoothly....

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

Just wondering what brand of PSU are you using e.g Antec etc

My build is less then 6 months old and i had all sorts of issues which caused nothing but BSOD's and grief. I know the frustration you're feeling.
This was my first build and going into it i was intermediate level as far as skill goes.
Issues seemingly unrelated will absolutely effect your gaming experience.
After i rma'd my cpu,hdd,and memory i had a smooth pc.
Memtest is a must to troubleshoot your system ramm.
If your ramm turns out fine the next thing i would do is clear your mobo cmos and start with a clean bios.
Check for any mobo bios updates and go from there.
I've done that before and it totally fixed gaming issues concerning my display stability.

Good luck! i hate it when i have gaming issues!

I'm glad to hear that worked for you .
I once added some extra utilities to my mobo from Gigabyte and they caused nothing but problems for my system.
Once they were deleted i reset my onboard cmos and everything returned to normal.I've heard this is quite common when adding mobo manufacturers utilities.
Your better off to monitor and adjust your gpu with the Msi Afterburner,GPU-Z ,and CCC.
These are all reliable and won't cause you problems.
I'm glad i could be of assistance.

Cheers!