Replaced PSU, now no HD or DVD detected

zeus mclain

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hello,

My PSU shorted out the other day, and I have now replaced it with a new one.

The PC now boots to BIOS but no further - it does not detect my HD or my DVD drive, neither seem to be powered at all! I have tested the voltages coming from the PSU with a multimeter, checked the voltages reported in BIOS, and I am pretty certain it's not the new PSU that's faulty...

The MB is an Asus formula rampage, and both the DVD drive and HD are connected to the PSU via SATA connectors, as they were before.

Do you think maybe part of the MB has been fried? (Although I had thought it would fail to boot completely if it was fried...) Or maybe both the DVD drive and HD are now broke :??:

Any suggestions for further testing would be greatly appreciated!

You could try clearing the CMOS RAM, other than that try a known good CD or hard drive and see if that is detected. One other thought comes to mind, have you connected all of your drives to the new power supply? If one of them does not have power then all of the drives will not work, try disconnecting the data cables to all of your drives and try reconnecting one at a time and see if they are detected.

zeus mclain

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a go this evening, I'm hoping it's something obvious I've missed!

Possibly obvious question - will clearing the CMOS delete any saved profiles I have in BIOS too?

(1) Yes it is possible to destroy an individual circuit (ie the SATA controller) when a PSU goes belly up, but it is also possible to take out the HDD/DVD drive. When the pSU goes belly-up it is possible that a spike was placed on one, or more voltage outputs and or rails.

(2) disconnecting one sata powered device, ie HDD, should not affect the power to the other.

(3) troubleshoot. first I would verify that the bios settings for your sata devices are correct. Then I would disconnect the HDD. with the DVD drive still connected, does the tray open - if so put a bootable disk in (win 7 ,or vista, installation disk.

As pjmelect indicated you can try a 2nd DVD drive, if you have to buy a cheap one ($20->25), or try yours in a 2nd system (or a friends).

Check your MB manual, you may have two SATA controllers, try the 2nd SATA controller.

zeus mclain

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
OK, bought a new DVD drive, and a USB HD dock.

New DVD drive works when plugged into current PC, old DVD drive does not.

HD does not work when plugged into docking station, with dock connected to a different, functional computer.

Prognosis: both HD and DVD drive are borked :(

Thanks for the assistance in diagnosing the problem!

Only thing I'm not sure about now is whether I should replace the MB or not. It seems to be working fine, but given that the power surge from the bust PSU was enough to take out the HD and DVD drive, I don't know if it's damaged or not.

Only thing I'm not sure about now is whether I should replace the MB or not. It seems to be working fine, but given that the power surge from the bust PSU was enough to take out the HD and DVD drive, I don't know if it's damaged or not.

Don’t fix what isn’t broke. If the motherboard works then the chances are it will continue to work.