HDMI is not carrying sound from computer to TV monitor

jeon0169

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Hello, I'm having problems with getting sound to play out of Flatscreen TV speakers using an HDMI cable. Now I have a flatscreen that is about 4 to 5 years old. I'm Using an MSI N9800 GT graphics card. The sound works fine through the VGA although I have to use the red and white cables. I also when I hook up HDMI don't get the choice to switch from default to HDMI audio. I have something like spdif which I have tried and still get nothing if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Solution
For the NVIDIA 9000 series, to get audio over the HDMI connection, you have to connect the card to the 2-pin SPDIF header located on the motherboard. This will carry audio signals (per SPDIF limitations) from the motherboard to the GPU, which can then output the signal via HDMI.
For the NVIDIA 9000 series, to get audio over the HDMI connection, you have to connect the card to the 2-pin SPDIF header located on the motherboard. This will carry audio signals (per SPDIF limitations) from the motherboard to the GPU, which can then output the signal via HDMI.

Solution