Just installed an SSD, what do i do with my HDD?

eggmasher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I just installed a Crucial M4 SSD and put everything from my old HDD to the SSD (about 100gbs on the 128gb SSD). I am wondering what i should do with the hard drive which has the same files as the SSD. I don't need the files on the hard drive because they copied onto the SSD. Can i simply delete all the files or do i need to back them up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
Um... you should only install the OS/applications/games to the SSD :/

media files and other "storage" stuff can be on the HDD since they don't really benefit from the increased speed of the SSD...

Unless you're working with huge files in some editing program... then those are worth putting on the SSD...

And why don't you just keep the HDD in the computer (if it's a desktop) or buy a external enclosure and have it as a external hard drive?

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

I'd delete all the HDD file you just to transfered to SSD then create a backup system image(using Control Panel->System and Security->Backup and Restore) on your HDD, this way you get on SSD everything backed up on your HDD and in case your SSD breaks down you can easily buy another one and restore using the system image.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah, that would be the same thing, it always helps to have multiple system image in different drives, as you never know what would happen to me. I traveled with my external once and apparently the airport security disassembled it and didn't put it back right, boom goes my 1TB :( .