SCi takes over Eidos; Eidos board of directors resign

Last response: in Video Games
May 22, 2005 1:18:01 AM

Found this article posted in LCO.

Eidos Board Resigns in Wake of SCi Acquisition
by gamasutra.com
Saturday, May 21, 2005

With the purchase of UK-headquartered Tomb Raider publisher Eidos by
fellow UK publisher/developer SCi complete, the board of directors for
Eidos has resigned, to be replaced by representatives from SCi.

A short press statement revealed that current board members David
Adams, Stuart Cruickshank, Jonathan Kemp, John van Kuffeler, Ian
Livingstone, Michael McGarvey, Victor Steel, and Allen Thomas have
stepped down. In their place, Jane Cavanagh (CEO of SCi), Bill Ennis,
and Rob Murphy have been appointed to the board for the transition
period.

The takover comes in the wake of SCi exchanging $114 million in SCi
shares in exchange for the company's brands and products. "This
acquisition ensures that Britain will have a strong presence in the
global video games market at a time of continued growth in the
industry," said Jane Cavanagh, chief executive of SCi. "This is an
exciting time for everyone connected with SCi and Eidos and we are
looking forward to working together to create a major player in the
industry."

The SCi's group current stable of in-development games include
Conflict: Global Terror, 25 to Live, Total Overdose, Just Cause,
Commandos: Strike Force, Reservoir Dogs, and now titles including Tomb
Raider: Legend, with ownership of Bay Area-headquartered Legacy Of Kain
creator Crystal Dynamics (now creating the aforementioned Tomb Raider
sequel) a particular bright spot for SCi.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 8:36:06 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Paul E Kiefer Jr was heard,
at about 05/22/2005 12:18 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> Found this article posted in LCO.
>
> Eidos Board Resigns in Wake of SCi Acquisition
> by gamasutra.com
> Saturday, May 21, 2005
>
> With the purchase of UK-headquartered Tomb Raider publisher Eidos by
> fellow UK publisher/developer SCi complete, the board of directors for
> Eidos has resigned, to be replaced by representatives from SCi.
>
> A short press statement revealed that current board members David
> Adams, Stuart Cruickshank, Jonathan Kemp, John van Kuffeler, Ian
> Livingstone, Michael McGarvey, Victor Steel, and Allen Thomas have
> stepped down. In their place, Jane Cavanagh (CEO of SCi), Bill Ennis,
> and Rob Murphy have been appointed to the board for the transition
> period.
>
> The takover comes in the wake of SCi exchanging $114 million in SCi
> shares in exchange for the company's brands and products. "This
> acquisition ensures that Britain will have a strong presence in the
> global video games market at a time of continued growth in the
> industry," said Jane Cavanagh, chief executive of SCi. "This is an
> exciting time for everyone connected with SCi and Eidos and we are
> looking forward to working together to create a major player in the
> industry."
>
> The SCi's group current stable of in-development games include
> Conflict: Global Terror, 25 to Live, Total Overdose, Just Cause,
> Commandos: Strike Force, Reservoir Dogs, and now titles including Tomb
> Raider: Legend, with ownership of Bay Area-headquartered Legacy Of Kain
> creator Crystal Dynamics (now creating the aforementioned Tomb Raider
> sequel) a particular bright spot for SCi.
>

> I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.

I doubt they would change the direction of Legend at this point ... but
I have to agree, it does not bode well for the future direction of the game.

Far too many violent games on their roster for them not to do something
*stupid* with TR!

---
PW
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 8:46:43 AM

"Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message
> Found this article posted in LCO.
>
> Eidos Board Resigns in Wake of SCi Acquisition
> by gamasutra.com
> Saturday, May 21, 2005
>
> With the purchase of UK-headquartered Tomb Raider publisher Eidos by
> fellow UK publisher/developer SCi complete, the board of directors for
> Eidos has resigned, to be replaced by representatives from SCi.
>
> A short press statement revealed that current board members David
> Adams, Stuart Cruickshank, Jonathan Kemp, John van Kuffeler, Ian
> Livingstone, Michael McGarvey, Victor Steel, and Allen Thomas have
> stepped down. In their place, Jane Cavanagh (CEO of SCi), Bill Ennis,
> and Rob Murphy have been appointed to the board for the transition
> period.
>
> The takover comes in the wake of SCi exchanging $114 million in SCi
> shares in exchange for the company's brands and products. "This
> acquisition ensures that Britain will have a strong presence in the
> global video games market at a time of continued growth in the
> industry," said Jane Cavanagh, chief executive of SCi. "This is an
> exciting time for everyone connected with SCi and Eidos and we are
> looking forward to working together to create a major player in the
> industry."
>
> The SCi's group current stable of in-development games include
> Conflict: Global Terror, 25 to Live, Total Overdose, Just Cause,
> Commandos: Strike Force, Reservoir Dogs, and now titles including Tomb
> Raider: Legend, with ownership of Bay Area-headquartered Legacy Of
> Kain creator Crystal Dynamics (now creating the aforementioned Tomb
> Raider sequel) a particular bright spot for SCi.
>

> I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.

We've known for quite some time that EIDOS was in deep trouble. EIDOS
forced the untimely release of AoD so that its books would reflect
positive revenue. This occurred and forstalled a very possible breakup
that year. Some months ago, I learned that EIDOS was indeed up for
grabs. However, SCi wasn't mentioned at that time. There was a failed
bid for takeover. EIDOS main deck was awash and that company was dead
in the water. For some months then, I have BEEN worried about whether
we'd even see the actual Tombraider: Legend game. I think now we will
definitely see our game finished and released. So, SCi already owns
Crystal Dynamics? Things are perhaps brighter for Tombraider than you
think Paul.

I've discovered that TombraiderChronicles.com is a good news page to
keep up with daily :-)
McG.
May 22, 2005 8:56:26 AM

Is this gonna affect the outcome of Legend?
Man, I'm already stoked abot it coming out in November (hopefully).

<big sigh>

Dani

"Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message
> Found this article posted in LCO.
>
> Eidos Board Resigns in Wake of SCi Acquisition
> by gamasutra.com
> Saturday, May 21, 2005
>
> With the purchase of UK-headquartered Tomb Raider publisher Eidos by
> fellow UK publisher/developer SCi complete, the board of directors for
> Eidos has resigned, to be replaced by representatives from SCi.
>
> A short press statement revealed that current board members David
> Adams, Stuart Cruickshank, Jonathan Kemp, John van Kuffeler, Ian
> Livingstone, Michael McGarvey, Victor Steel, and Allen Thomas have
> stepped down. In their place, Jane Cavanagh (CEO of SCi), Bill Ennis,
> and Rob Murphy have been appointed to the board for the transition
> period.
>
> The takover comes in the wake of SCi exchanging $114 million in SCi
> shares in exchange for the company's brands and products. "This
> acquisition ensures that Britain will have a strong presence in the
> global video games market at a time of continued growth in the
> industry," said Jane Cavanagh, chief executive of SCi. "This is an
> exciting time for everyone connected with SCi and Eidos and we are
> looking forward to working together to create a major player in the
> industry."
>
> The SCi's group current stable of in-development games include
> Conflict: Global Terror, 25 to Live, Total Overdose, Just Cause,
> Commandos: Strike Force, Reservoir Dogs, and now titles including Tomb
> Raider: Legend, with ownership of Bay Area-headquartered Legacy Of Kain
> creator Crystal Dynamics (now creating the aforementioned Tomb Raider
> sequel) a particular bright spot for SCi.
>

> I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 9:14:57 AM

"Paul E Kiefer Jr"
snip

> I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.

I just *listened* to that interview with Riley. I think that Legend
has turned out to be a bright spot for SCI/CD and they all WANT this gem
brought out and they want it to be a huge success with us. I'm getting
eager to see it now :)

McG.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:05:34 PM

Pistol Whipped wrote:

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Paul E Kiefer Jr was heard,
> at about 05/22/2005 12:18 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> > Found this article posted in LCO.
> >
> > Eidos Board Resigns in Wake of SCi Acquisition
> > by gamasutra.com
> > Saturday, May 21, 2005
> >
> > With the purchase of UK-headquartered Tomb Raider publisher Eidos by
> > fellow UK publisher/developer SCi complete, the board of directors for
> > Eidos has resigned, to be replaced by representatives from SCi.
> >
> > A short press statement revealed that current board members David
> > Adams, Stuart Cruickshank, Jonathan Kemp, John van Kuffeler, Ian
> > Livingstone, Michael McGarvey, Victor Steel, and Allen Thomas have
> > stepped down. In their place, Jane Cavanagh (CEO of SCi), Bill Ennis,
> > and Rob Murphy have been appointed to the board for the transition
> > period.
> >
> > The takover comes in the wake of SCi exchanging $114 million in SCi
> > shares in exchange for the company's brands and products. "This
> > acquisition ensures that Britain will have a strong presence in the
> > global video games market at a time of continued growth in the
> > industry," said Jane Cavanagh, chief executive of SCi. "This is an
> > exciting time for everyone connected with SCi and Eidos and we are
> > looking forward to working together to create a major player in the
> > industry."
> >
> > The SCi's group current stable of in-development games include
> > Conflict: Global Terror, 25 to Live, Total Overdose, Just Cause,
> > Commandos: Strike Force, Reservoir Dogs, and now titles including Tomb
> > Raider: Legend, with ownership of Bay Area-headquartered Legacy Of Kain
> > creator Crystal Dynamics (now creating the aforementioned Tomb Raider
> > sequel) a particular bright spot for SCi.
> >

> > I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.
> >

> I doubt they would change the direction of Legend at this point ... but
> I have to agree, it does not bode well for the future direction of the game.
>
> Far too many violent games on their roster for them not to do something
> *stupid* with TR!

As if Eidos hasn't or couldn't? :/

I think this could go either way. But based on the tone of the
end of the article, Tomb Raider and Lara are part of the crown
jewels. I doubt they'd want to do something that'd ruin it.
OTOH, it's happened before... Infogrames completely blew it with
Master of Orion 3 once they got their hands on it. :(

-- G
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:40:31 PM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Pistol Whipped wrote:
>>
>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Paul E Kiefer Jr was
>> heard,
>> at about 05/22/2005 12:18 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>> Found this article posted in LCO.
>>>
>>> Eidos Board Resigns in Wake of SCi Acquisition
>>> by gamasutra.com
>>> Saturday, May 21, 2005
>>>
>>> With the purchase of UK-headquartered Tomb Raider publisher Eidos by
>>> fellow UK publisher/developer SCi complete, the board of directors
>>> for Eidos has resigned, to be replaced by representatives from SCi.
>>>
>>> A short press statement revealed that current board members David
>>> Adams, Stuart Cruickshank, Jonathan Kemp, John van Kuffeler, Ian
>>> Livingstone, Michael McGarvey, Victor Steel, and Allen Thomas have
>>> stepped down. In their place, Jane Cavanagh (CEO of SCi), Bill
>>> Ennis, and Rob Murphy have been appointed to the board for the
>>> transition period.
>>>
>>> The takover comes in the wake of SCi exchanging $114 million in SCi
>>> shares in exchange for the company's brands and products. "This
>>> acquisition ensures that Britain will have a strong presence in the
>>> global video games market at a time of continued growth in the
>>> industry," said Jane Cavanagh, chief executive of SCi. "This is an
>>> exciting time for everyone connected with SCi and Eidos and we are
>>> looking forward to working together to create a major player in the
>>> industry."
>>>
>>> The SCi's group current stable of in-development games include
>>> Conflict: Global Terror, 25 to Live, Total Overdose, Just Cause,
>>> Commandos: Strike Force, Reservoir Dogs, and now titles including
>>> Tomb Raider: Legend, with ownership of Bay Area-headquartered
>>> Legacy Of Kain creator Crystal Dynamics (now creating the
>>> aforementioned Tomb Raider sequel) a particular bright spot for SCi.
>>>

>>> I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.
>>>

>> I doubt they would change the direction of Legend at this point ...
>> but
>> I have to agree, it does not bode well for the future direction of
>> the game.
>>
>> Far too many violent games on their roster for them not to do
>> something *stupid* with TR!
>
> As if Eidos hasn't or couldn't? :/
>
> I think this could go either way. But based on the tone of the
> end of the article, Tomb Raider and Lara are part of the crown
> jewels. I doubt they'd want to do something that'd ruin it.
> OTOH, it's happened before... Infogrames completely blew it with
> Master of Orion 3 once they got their hands on it. :(
>
> -- G

Gary, I think that Legend already looks better than the problem with
Orion3. The only thing I'm concerned about at this point is something
that PW and I both love to hate in AoD. The controls. AoD control
problems stemmed from two things: one is that the code for them is high
level that's easily ported between platforms, hence overall sluggishness
in how sharply Lara responds That code is not very well optimized for
the PC for sure. Not sure how they work out for the PS2. The other is
that there is some AI built into the controls so that Lara will
automatically do certain things in some situations. The first part with
sluggishness is still doable, that second part makes for a hideous mess
in some situations and is just plain irritating at the very best.
I'm starting to think that while they may well have optimized the code
for the controls and general sluggishness may be eliminated in this new
engine, they seem to have implemented some control AI in Legend as
well. We won't know what we think of THAT stuff until we get our hands
on the game itself. They're developing Legend on 3 platforms
simultaneously. Legend may be dumbed down for the PC from the start
because of that. They will likely release an averaged out grade game in
terms graphics and sounds to keep it more on a parr with the consoles.
It already looks like B grade materiel to me. That will thoroughly piss
me off. I also hope they have a Laras Home area like TR1-3 have! :)
Well, one can still hope for certain goodies, right?
McG.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:22:17 AM

"Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message
> Found this article posted in LCO.
>
> Eidos Board Resigns in Wake of SCi Acquisition
> by gamasutra.com
> Saturday, May 21, 2005
>
> With the purchase of UK-headquartered Tomb Raider publisher Eidos by
> fellow UK publisher/developer SCi complete, the board of directors for
> Eidos has resigned, to be replaced by representatives from SCi.
>
> A short press statement revealed that current board members David
> Adams, Stuart Cruickshank, Jonathan Kemp, John van Kuffeler, Ian
> Livingstone, Michael McGarvey, Victor Steel, and Allen Thomas have
> stepped down. In their place, Jane Cavanagh (CEO of SCi), Bill Ennis,
> and Rob Murphy have been appointed to the board for the transition
> period.
>
> The takover comes in the wake of SCi exchanging $114 million in SCi
> shares in exchange for the company's brands and products. "This
> acquisition ensures that Britain will have a strong presence in the
> global video games market at a time of continued growth in the
> industry," said Jane Cavanagh, chief executive of SCi. "This is an
> exciting time for everyone connected with SCi and Eidos and we are
> looking forward to working together to create a major player in the
> industry."
>
> The SCi's group current stable of in-development games include
> Conflict: Global Terror, 25 to Live, Total Overdose, Just Cause,
> Commandos: Strike Force, Reservoir Dogs, and now titles including Tomb
> Raider: Legend, with ownership of Bay Area-headquartered Legacy Of Kain
> creator Crystal Dynamics (now creating the aforementioned Tomb Raider
> sequel) a particular bright spot for SCi.
>

> I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.

I wouldn't.

1) The SCi deal has been going on for ages.

http://www.gamespot.com/x360/action/tombraidervii/news_...

http://www.gamespot.com/x360/action/tombraidervii/news_...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/29/news_6121243.ht...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/22/news_6120868.ht...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/21/news_6120834.ht...

2) As you can see, Eidos has been bought by a UK company (as oppossed to
US-based Elevation). This makes me feel much better, knowing that at the end
of the bay, a British producer is holding the purse strings to TR.

3) Eidos has been in trouble. Which is no surprise. It's better than their
going out of business and TR finishing for ever...something that would have
been highly unlikely, but you never know.

4) Perhaps the scariest part is the resignation of the board. However,
there's no indication of whether the resignations were internal, forced,
asked, or made in defiance. It sounds to me as if SCi and board came to an
agreement. Which is fine in terms of internal cohesion regarding the
takeover.

5) It will have little if no bearing on the TR franchise. Eidos were already
doing a pretty lousy job...
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 12:17:02 AM

Dragoncarer wrote:

> 2) As you can see, Eidos has been bought by a UK company (as oppossed to
> US-based Elevation). This makes me feel much better, knowing that at the end
> of the bay, a British producer is holding the purse strings to TR.

I don't care what nationality it is. As long as it's doing the job
right, I'm happy with that.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:14:09 PM

> Dragoncarer wrote:
> >
> > 2) As you can see, Eidos has been bought by a UK company (as oppossed to
> > US-based Elevation). This makes me feel much better, knowing that at the
end
> > of the bay, a British producer is holding the purse strings to TR.
>
> I don't care what nationality it is. As long as it's doing the job
> right, I'm happy with that.

Well, if it was American chances are you'd lose the already heavily
Americanised brittish voice and witticisms and the whole mindset behind the
character would be screwed.
It also means the company would be more likely to hire American staff rather
than English - thus removing another piece of a non-US country's
individuality.
And the profits would be reimbursed into either an American or at least
International stock market/ economy.

My main point is that if it wasn't British, it's more than likely it
*wouldn't* do the job right.

IMHO.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:45:37 PM

In article <42957748@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry>
wrote:

> "Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Dragoncarer wrote:
> > >
> > > 2) As you can see, Eidos has been bought by a UK company (as oppossed to
> > > US-based Elevation). This makes me feel much better, knowing that at the
> end
> > > of the bay, a British producer is holding the purse strings to TR.
> >
> > I don't care what nationality it is. As long as it's doing the job
> > right, I'm happy with that.
> >

> Well, if it was American chances are you'd lose the already heavily
> Americanised brittish voice and witticisms and the whole mindset behind the
> character would be screwed.
> It also means the company would be more likely to hire American staff rather
> than English - thus removing another piece of a non-US country's
> individuality.
> And the profits would be reimbursed into either an American or at least
> International stock market/ economy.
>
> My main point is that if it wasn't British, it's more than likely it
> *wouldn't* do the job right.
>
> IMHO.

Isn't Core Design based in LA ?

From what I've read -

The other bidder for Eidos (Elevation Partners - some media people
including that 'All American' U2 singer Bono - who got together JUST for
this purpose...) wanted to take Eidos private so that it wouldn't be
subject to the whims of the stock market/stock holders (Or so they said
at the time...). They'd already been accepted by the Eidos Board when
SCi came along and offered more... Eidos stock went up, some stock
holders group objected to the original bid and 'Elevation Partners'
didn't want to pay that much more for it. So SCi ended up with Eidos.

Of course, when you're watching all of this from the sidelines... it's
hard to know who would have been the better choice... or how accurate
the media was about all of this...
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:33:25 PM

-Andy- wrote:

> In article <42957748@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry>
> wrote:
>
> > "Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message

> > end
> > >
> > > I don't care what nationality it is. As long as it's doing the job
> > > right, I'm happy with that.
> > >

> > Well, if it was American chances are you'd lose the already heavily
> > Americanised brittish voice and witticisms and the whole mindset behind the
> > character would be screwed.
> > It also means the company would be more likely to hire American staff rather
> > than English - thus removing another piece of a non-US country's
> > individuality.
> > And the profits would be reimbursed into either an American or at least
> > International stock market/ economy.
> >
> > My main point is that if it wasn't British, it's more than likely it
> > *wouldn't* do the job right.
> >
> > IMHO.
>
> Isn't Core Design based in LA ?

Core Design
55 Ashbourne Road
Derby DE22 3FS
England

At least that used to be the case. :/

-- G

> From what I've read -
>
> The other bidder for Eidos (Elevation Partners - some media people
> including that 'All American' U2 singer Bono - who got together JUST for
> this purpose...) wanted to take Eidos private so that it wouldn't be
> subject to the whims of the stock market/stock holders (Or so they said
> at the time...). They'd already been accepted by the Eidos Board when
> SCi came along and offered more... Eidos stock went up, some stock
> holders group objected to the original bid and 'Elevation Partners'
> didn't want to pay that much more for it. So SCi ended up with Eidos.
>
> Of course, when you're watching all of this from the sidelines... it's
> hard to know who would have been the better choice... or how accurate
> the media was about all of this...
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:02:01 PM

So, it would seem that the making of TR-7 has a decidedly American
flavor to it, yet they brought in Toby Gerard.

Gee, maybe we DO know what we're doing after all, hmmm? 9_9
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 11:31:51 PM

> -Andy- wrote:

> > Isn't Core Design based in LA ?

Oops... I meant 'Crystal Dynamics' - the company (owned by Eidos since
98 - see: http://games.ign.com/objects/025/025018.html ) making TR VII.
They are a California company (Unless they've moved).

Not sure why I mixed them up...

-Andy-
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:55:56 AM

"Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message
> Found this article posted in LCO.
>
> Eidos Board Resigns in Wake of SCi Acquisition
> by gamasutra.com
> Saturday, May 21, 2005
>
> With the purchase of UK-headquartered Tomb Raider publisher Eidos by
> fellow UK publisher/developer SCi complete, the board of directors for
> Eidos has resigned, to be replaced by representatives from SCi.
>
> A short press statement revealed that current board members David
> Adams, Stuart Cruickshank, Jonathan Kemp, John van Kuffeler, Ian
> Livingstone, Michael McGarvey, Victor Steel, and Allen Thomas have
> stepped down. In their place, Jane Cavanagh (CEO of SCi), Bill Ennis,
> and Rob Murphy have been appointed to the board for the transition
> period.
>
> The takover comes in the wake of SCi exchanging $114 million in SCi
> shares in exchange for the company's brands and products. "This
> acquisition ensures that Britain will have a strong presence in the
> global video games market at a time of continued growth in the
> industry," said Jane Cavanagh, chief executive of SCi. "This is an
> exciting time for everyone connected with SCi and Eidos and we are
> looking forward to working together to create a major player in the
> industry."
>
> The SCi's group current stable of in-development games include
> Conflict: Global Terror, 25 to Live, Total Overdose, Just Cause,
> Commandos: Strike Force, Reservoir Dogs, and now titles including Tomb
> Raider: Legend, with ownership of Bay Area-headquartered Legacy Of Kain
> creator Crystal Dynamics (now creating the aforementioned Tomb Raider
> sequel) a particular bright spot for SCi.
>

> I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.

I should feel right at home, I started working for a Co. in Aug. last, they
were bought out in Nov. last, by a company whose 'growth' policy seems to be
to buy up other companies. Sounds the same Hmm? Not same companies tho.

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:08:40 AM

> "Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Found this article posted in LCO.
>>
>> Eidos Board Resigns in Wake of SCi Acquisition
>> by gamasutra.com
>> Saturday, May 21, 2005
>>
>> With the purchase of UK-headquartered Tomb Raider publisher Eidos by
>> fellow UK publisher/developer SCi complete, the board of directors for
>> Eidos has resigned, to be replaced by representatives from SCi.
>>
>> A short press statement revealed that current board members David
>> Adams, Stuart Cruickshank, Jonathan Kemp, John van Kuffeler, Ian
>> Livingstone, Michael McGarvey, Victor Steel, and Allen Thomas have
>> stepped down. In their place, Jane Cavanagh (CEO of SCi), Bill Ennis,
>> and Rob Murphy have been appointed to the board for the transition
>> period.
>>
>> The takover comes in the wake of SCi exchanging $114 million in SCi
>> shares in exchange for the company's brands and products. "This
>> acquisition ensures that Britain will have a strong presence in the
>> global video games market at a time of continued growth in the
>> industry," said Jane Cavanagh, chief executive of SCi. "This is an
>> exciting time for everyone connected with SCi and Eidos and we are
>> looking forward to working together to create a major player in the
>> industry."
>>
>> The SCi's group current stable of in-development games include
>> Conflict: Global Terror, 25 to Live, Total Overdose, Just Cause,
>> Commandos: Strike Force, Reservoir Dogs, and now titles including Tomb
>> Raider: Legend, with ownership of Bay Area-headquartered Legacy Of
>> Kain creator Crystal Dynamics (now creating the aforementioned Tomb
>> Raider sequel) a particular bright spot for SCi.
>>

>> I don't know about you guys, but I'd be worried at this point.
>
> We've known for quite some time that EIDOS was in deep trouble. EIDOS
> forced the untimely release of AoD so that its books would reflect
> positive revenue. This occurred and forstalled a very possible breakup
> that year. Some months ago, I learned that EIDOS was indeed up for
> grabs. However, SCi wasn't mentioned at that time. There was a failed
> bid for takeover. EIDOS main deck was awash and that company was dead in
> the water. For some months then, I have BEEN worried about whether we'd
> even see the actual Tombraider: Legend game. I think now we will
> definitely see our game finished and released. So, SCi already owns
> Crystal Dynamics? Things are perhaps brighter for Tombraider than you
> think Paul.
>
> I've discovered that TombraiderChronicles.com is a good news page to keep
> up with daily :-)
> McG.

I think the article was saying that SCi 'now' owns Crystal Dynamics because
it was bought as a part of aquiring EIDOS. EIDOS had their name on a number
of titles, the TR series, the American release of FF7 & FF8 (IIRC), and some
others, so they weren't totally dumb, just dumb with AoD. If you ever
played Legacy of Kain, (the controls seem similar as Half-Life 1 to me,
which I hated), and you disliked them as I do, you would have major control
worries with Legend (but maybe they corrected their ways). Then again, I
may be in the minority here. ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 1:49:06 PM

Inu-Yasha wrote:

> [...]
> > definitely see our game finished and released. So, SCi already owns
> > Crystal Dynamics? Things are perhaps brighter for Tombraider than you
> > think Paul.
> >
> > I've discovered that TombraiderChronicles.com is a good news page to keep
> > up with daily :-)
> > McG.
> >

> I think the article was saying that SCi 'now' owns Crystal Dynamics because
> it was bought as a part of aquiring EIDOS. EIDOS had their name on a number
> of titles, the TR series, the American release of FF7 & FF8 (IIRC), and some
> others, so they weren't totally dumb, just dumb with AoD. If you ever
> played Legacy of Kain, (the controls seem similar as Half-Life 1 to me,
> which I hated), and you disliked them as I do, you would have major control
> worries with Legend (but maybe they corrected their ways). Then again, I

What didn't you like about the Half-Life controls? (I wouldn't
know, I haven't played it.)

-- G
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:37:57 PM

> So, it would seem that the making of TR-7 has a decidedly American
> flavor to it, yet they brought in Toby Gerard.
>
> Gee, maybe we DO know what we're doing after all, hmmm? 9_9

No, the dude at E3 said there will be more brittish witticisms and that
'famous' dry Lara-croft Brit observation.

But other than that...who knows? Dum de duuuuuuuuuuuuum. We'll see soon
enough!
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 6:00:05 AM

> Inu-Yasha wrote:
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> We've known for quite some time that EIDOS was in deep trouble.
>>> EIDOS forced the untimely release of AoD so that its books would
>>> reflect positive revenue. This occurred and forstalled a very
>>> possible breakup that year. Some months ago, I learned that EIDOS
>>> was indeed up for grabs. However, SCi wasn't mentioned at that
>>> time. There was a failed bid for takeover. EIDOS main deck was
>>> awash and that company was dead in the water. For some months
>>> then, I have BEEN worried about whether we'd even see the actual
>>> Tombraider: Legend game. I think now we will definitely see our
>>> game finished and released. So, SCi already owns Crystal
>>> Dynamics? Things are perhaps brighter for Tombraider than you
>>> think Paul.
>>>
>>> I've discovered that TombraiderChronicles.com is a good news page
>>> to keep up with daily :-)
>>> McG.
>>>

>> I think the article was saying that SCi 'now' owns Crystal Dynamics
>> because it was bought as a part of aquiring EIDOS. EIDOS had their
>> name on a number of titles, the TR series, the American release of
>> FF7 & FF8 (IIRC), and some others, so they weren't totally dumb,
>> just dumb with AoD. If you ever played Legacy of Kain, (the
>> controls seem similar as Half-Life 1 to me, which I hated), and you
>> disliked them as I do, you would have major control worries with
>> Legend (but maybe they corrected their ways). Then again, I may be
>> in the minority here. ^_^
>>
>> Inu-Yasha
>> Feh!!
>
> What didn't you like about the Half-Life controls? (I wouldn't
> know, I haven't played it.)
>
> -- G

Oh, um...Gary...you like playing stories huh? There's another one to
add to your list! While HL is considered an FPS, it's very story
driven like Deus Ex. HL is a fun game. Deus Ex is too.
McG.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 10:40:21 PM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Inu-Yasha wrote:
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > "Paul E Kiefer Jr" <pkieferjr@aol.com> wrote in message

>> > We've known for quite some time that EIDOS was in deep trouble. EIDOS
>> > forced the untimely release of AoD so that its books would reflect
>> > positive revenue. This occurred and forstalled a very possible breakup
>> > that year. Some months ago, I learned that EIDOS was indeed up for
>> > grabs. However, SCi wasn't mentioned at that time. There was a
>> > failed
>> > bid for takeover. EIDOS main deck was awash and that company was dead
>> > in
>> > the water. For some months then, I have BEEN worried about whether
>> > we'd
>> > even see the actual Tombraider: Legend game. I think now we will
>> > definitely see our game finished and released. So, SCi already owns
>> > Crystal Dynamics? Things are perhaps brighter for Tombraider than you
>> > think Paul.
>> >
>> > I've discovered that TombraiderChronicles.com is a good news page to
>> > keep
>> > up with daily :-)
>> > McG.
>> >

>> I think the article was saying that SCi 'now' owns Crystal Dynamics
>> because
>> it was bought as a part of aquiring EIDOS. EIDOS had their name on a
>> number
>> of titles, the TR series, the American release of FF7 & FF8 (IIRC), and
>> some
>> others, so they weren't totally dumb, just dumb with AoD. If you ever
>> played Legacy of Kain, (the controls seem similar as Half-Life 1 to me,
>> which I hated), and you disliked them as I do, you would have major
>> control
>> worries with Legend (but maybe they corrected their ways). Then again,
>> may be in the minority here. ^_^
>>
>> Inu-Yasha
>> Feh!!
>
> What didn't you like about the Half-Life controls? (I wouldn't
> know, I haven't played it.)
>
> -- G

To answer the question about HL1 contols, I found myself unable to use the
mouse and keyboard to get the character to do certain things. The example
from HL1 (I never made it out of training), was trying to make a character
jump from one island shape to another, having to run the chanracter with the
keyboard, control the direction of the character with the mouse, and control
the jump also with the keyboard, just more than my fingers and my
frustration index could handle. As to Legecy of Kain [LoK] (the Crystal
Dynamics game), I had a similar feeling, tho not for the same reason. CD
had LoK controls written such that (if I can discribe it properly), had Kain
run obliquely with a forward arrow, so you had to use a side motion arrow
aat the same time to get him to run straight ahead. There was also another
problem (IIRC) that meant that Kain would be running forward, then suddenly
he would bump a wall or change camera view points (one, the other, or both,
can't remember now)and be runing in the opposite direction with the same
control buttons. I can't handle that either. I too am looking forward to
Legend, as it is Lara, and I have loved the TR game series since of course
TR1. I can still remember runing around in the first Caves, trying to find
the way to the lost valley, and then suddenly doing some jumping and getting
up to where you find the skeleton and if you walk in the right direction,
you begin to see the lost valley . Anyone remember the little cul de sac to
the right of the cliffs you had to climb to get to the lost valley?? There
were wolves in there, and you ran down a slop into a cave like affair, and I
tried jumping crawling scrabbling , and everything, thinking that was where
I had to go next!! (I just remembered, in TR2 when you are down in thtat
valley where the Dinosaurs are, you run into a cave very similar to be able
to shoot and kill the last Dino. Ramble, Ramble, sorry. ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:02:48 AM

"Inu-Yasha"
Gary Mitchell
snip

>> What didn't you like about the Half-Life controls? (I wouldn't
>> know, I haven't played it.)
>>
>> -- G
>
> To answer the question about HL1 contols, I found myself unable to
> use the mouse and keyboard to get the character to do certain things.
> The example from HL1 (I never made it out of training), was trying to
> make a character jump from one island shape to another, having to run
> the chanracter with the keyboard, control the direction of the
> character with the mouse, and control the jump also with the
> keyboard, just more than my fingers and my frustration index could
> handle.

I see your problem with the controls. You should be able to control all
major movement with the mouse. I have Forward mapped to W and Mouse2
(right mouse button). All movement 'adjusters' are keys, like strafe
L/R, Jump, Crouch. And that was the Long Jump Module you had trouble
with. If you never made it out of training then you missed half the
game before it was even needed.
IIRC, to get it to work using Mouse2 as Forward, do this:
While running forward, holding Mouse2, press and hold Space and TAP C
for crouch. Once you get the hang of the LJM, you can do it from a
standstill.
Oh, I recall when Gordon gets it, it is right before he gets sent to Xan
by one of the fellow scientists. Once there, you need it to jump from
floating island to floating island. Me favorite part of the game Xan
is! :)
McG.

snip
!