Cpu cooler+heatsink replacement

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hi all,

My cpu is getting on a bit now and as i do a lot of gaming and running the cpu at high load it has started to rise in temp.

I am looking at replacing the cooler and heatsink and have found one that is slightly better than what is on there at the moment (stock).

My question is - What is best used on the cpu to remove the old heatsink and what is the best way to remove it.

I live in the uk if that matters.

Any help will be great

Thanks.

You'll need new thermal interface material (TIM), e.g., Arctic Silver 5 (AS5). Assuming it is a Intel pentium cpu or newer:
-- Turn the pin-locks a 1/4 turn counter-clockwise so the locking pins unlock.
-- Then lift the heatsink from the cpu and board, do this carefully on the stock heatsink because the TIM may be holding it to the cpu.
-- After you remove the current heatsink, you can clean the old TIM from the cpu with a lint-free cloth or coffee filter paper.
-- After you get most of the gunk off, you can use a fresh filter paper and a little rubbing alcohol to remove the rest of the old TIM.
-- Now you can apply the new TIM to the CPU (follow the manufacturer's directions as to the thickness and coverage). For AS5, you put a very small amount on the cpu, and use a clean filter paper to spread it over the cpu, leaving a haze (like car polish), then put a small dab (about the size of a grain of uncooked rice) in the center of the cpu. Then you install the new heatsink (if you use AS5, you'll need to follow the same steps to clean the heastsink, but don't add a dab of AS5 to the new heatsink base before you install it).
-- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing your new heatsink.

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Thanks that helps alot treefrog07,
I would follow the manufacturer's but the one i found is free (off a friend) a zelman.

my cpu is a am2 5000+ amd so would the covarage instructions be the same.

Also the rubbing alcohol, is 70% ok its all i can find or is that the normal percentage of rubbing alcohol.

Thanks for all your help and nice walkthrough.

another high alcohol solution is in your other halfs drawers,
no, not the american version of drawers :p
nail varnish remover works fine,just remember to remove any dried residue before applying new paste,
watch a few vids on youtube for paste amounts/application, you seriously need a tiny amount, I mean spicegirl IQ tiny
Moto

You're welcome. The AMD AS5 Instructions are here.
Any rubbing alcohol should work; it's not water. You only need to dampen the filter before you remove the residue,

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Surgical spirit from boots, i think i have some around the house.

I was not sure what i could use with cleaning the heatsink off the cpu.

Thanks you both have been great.