Help Needed: Downloading and Running Custom Levels

Okay, this may have been asked before, but I'll ask it again anyway.

When geting a custom level (TRLE style), what directory do I put this
thing in to make the custom TR-4 executable recognize it as a
legitimate level? The custom level that I've downloaded so far was
recognized as an executable, but Win XP doesn't recognize it as an
executable when I try to run it.
8 answers Last reply
More about help needed downloading running custom levels
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    There I was, minding my own business, when Paul E Kiefer Jr said...

    > Okay, this may have been asked before, but I'll ask it again anyway.
    >
    > When geting a custom level (TRLE style), what directory do I put this
    > thing in to make the custom TR-4 executable recognize it as a
    > legitimate level? The custom level that I've downloaded so far was
    > recognized as an executable, but Win XP doesn't recognize it as an
    > executable when I try to run it.

    There are many, many files you have to place before it'll run.

    Firstly, you may want to back up your TRLE folder just in case!

    You need to follow the instructions in the zip file. When you unzip it,
    generally use the Keep Folders or Keep Directories option. This makes it
    easier later - often you can just copy the files straight over your TRLE
    folder if you do this..

    As a general rule of thumb, though, if the level is made up with *.TR4
    files, then do this.

    All the *.dat files go in the TRLE folder. If there is a LOAD.BMP, then
    this also goes in there.

    the *.TR4 files go in the DATA directory, and if there is a UKLOGO.PAK file,
    that also goes there.

    Any *.WAV files that have names, rather than numbers (eg B1.WAV, DAVE.WAV)
    go in the SOUND/SAMPLES folder.

    Any *.WAV files that have numbers (eg 1.WAV) goes in the AUDIO folder.

    Now...thats the simplest way of doing this. There are a couple of things to
    consider, though.

    If there are MP3 files (Eg. 1.MP3, 23.MP3) rather than WAV files these need
    to be converted before you copy them in the AUDIO folder. There should be a
    little utility called STARTME.EXE that will convert them automatically. Once
    its converted them to WAV files copy them to the relevent folder as above.

    The other thing is...sometimes to save space in the ZIP file, the level
    files will be sent out unbuilt. You can usually spot this if there is a
    ..WAD file. There are normally about 6 files with the same name as the .WAD
    file (or files), but with different extensions, eg CATACOMB.CD,
    CATACOMB.WAD, CATACOMB.WAS, CATACOMB.SFX etc etc. If this is the case, you
    need to copy all these files for each level into the GRAPHICS/WADS folder.
    Once this is complete, you should open up the root folder of your TRLE
    installation and find the TOMB2PC.EXE program Run this, click the add
    button and select the level you wish to compile. Once you have the level
    selected, click the build all button. Now...this program is a bit flakey,
    so what I've found best is to build a level at a time, exiting and
    restarting TOMB2PC in between builds. Once you've built all the levels, you
    should just be able to run TOMB4.EXE and when you start, either pick the
    level, or it'll do it for you if its a well put together user level.

    An important thing to remember, though...if the level is unbuilt, always
    look at the README file included in the ZIP file for special instructions.
    What I've written above is just a catch all.

    The other thing, I think, is there is a level organiser you can download.
    That might be the way to go.

    Duncan
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Already got it. Tell me how to get it to pick up the level when it's
    been turned into an .EXE file that Win XP doesn't recognize as an .EXE.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In news:<d6q72k$f04$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk> schrieb Thunderchief:
    > There I was, minding my own business, when Paul E Kiefer Jr said...
    >
    >> Okay, this may have been asked before, but I'll ask it again anyway.
    >>
    >> When geting a custom level (TRLE style), what directory do I put this
    >> thing in to make the custom TR-4 executable recognize it as a
    >> legitimate level? The custom level that I've downloaded so far was
    >> recognized as an executable, but Win XP doesn't recognize it as an
    >> executable when I try to run it.
    >
    > There are many, many files you have to place before it'll run.
    >
    > Firstly, you may want to back up your TRLE folder just in case!

    [ ... ]

    > An important thing to remember, though...if the level is unbuilt, always
    > look at the README file included in the ZIP file for special instructions.
    > What I've written above is just a catch all.
    >
    > The other thing, I think, is there is a level organiser you can download.
    > That might be the way to go.

    English, German, and Chinese language versions of this "TR Level Manager"
    that Thunderchief mentioned, can be downloaded from the site
    http://www.trlevelmanager.it

    This program takes all the steps necessary to install user level,
    which Thunderchief so meticulously described,
    and it does so automatically.
    Best of all:
    You can install and play as many user levels on your computer as you like
    without mixing up or corrupting the corresponding save games.

    However, there is one BIG disadvantange:
    It becomes VERY frustrating when you get stuck
    in more then ten levels at the same time... ;-)

    Have fun!
    Thomas
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Paul E Kiefer Jr was heard,
    at about 05/23/2005 06:00 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
    > Already got it. Tell me how to get it to pick up the level when it's
    > been turned into an .EXE file that Win XP doesn't recognize as an .EXE.

    Lets see reasons to package as an EXE ... I can only think of two (maybe
    three):

    (1) It wants to install itself, but is so old a packaging that XP
    doesn't want to let it run (could be dangerous).

    (2) Self-extracting ZIP file ... again, must be old for XP not to
    recognize it, though you can try opening it with WinZip and see if it
    recognizes it.

    (3) It comes prepackaged with viruses and/or spyware and they screwed
    something up. Run it through a good scanner, then see #1 and #2 above.

    Have you tried searching it out at some other location. You may be able
    to find it packaged differently.

    Which level we talking here?

    ---
    PW
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    It took my completely by surprise when Thunderchief typed:

    > There I was, minding my own business, when Paul E Kiefer Jr said...
    >
    >> Okay, this may have been asked before, but I'll ask it again anyway.
    >>
    >> When geting a custom level (TRLE style), what directory do I put this
    >> thing in to make the custom TR-4 executable recognize it as a
    >> legitimate level? The custom level that I've downloaded so far was
    >> recognized as an executable, but Win XP doesn't recognize it as an
    >> executable when I try to run it.

    Your welcome.

    <nods>

    Duncan
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Pistol Whipped wrote:
    > In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Paul E Kiefer Jr was heard,
    > at about 05/23/2005 06:00 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
    > > Already got it. Tell me how to get it to pick up the level when it's
    > > been turned into an .EXE file that Win XP doesn't recognize as an .EXE.
    > >

    > Lets see reasons to package as an EXE ... I can only think of two (maybe
    > three):
    >
    > (1) It wants to install itself, but is so old a packaging that XP
    > doesn't want to let it run (could be dangerous).
    >
    > (2) Self-extracting ZIP file ... again, must be old for XP not to
    > recognize it, though you can try opening it with WinZip and see if it
    > recognizes it.
    >
    > (3) It comes prepackaged with viruses and/or spyware and they screwed
    > something up. Run it through a good scanner, then see #1 and #2 above.
    >
    > Have you tried searching it out at some other location. You may be able
    > to find it packaged differently.
    >
    > Which level we talking here?

    The filename reads "andrew_mcgrath_return_to_colloseum.exe"
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Paul E Kiefer Jr was heard,
    at about 05/24/2005 06:09 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...

    > Pistol Whipped wrote:
    >
    >>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Paul E Kiefer Jr was heard,
    >>at about 05/23/2005 06:00 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
    >>
    >>>Already got it. Tell me how to get it to pick up the level when it's
    >>>been turned into an .EXE file that Win XP doesn't recognize as an .EXE.
    >>>

    >>Lets see reasons to package as an EXE ... I can only think of two (maybe
    >>three):
    >>
    >>(1) It wants to install itself, but is so old a packaging that XP
    >>doesn't want to let it run (could be dangerous).
    >>
    >>(2) Self-extracting ZIP file ... again, must be old for XP not to
    >>recognize it, though you can try opening it with WinZip and see if it
    >>recognizes it.
    >>
    >>(3) It comes prepackaged with viruses and/or spyware and they screwed
    >>something up. Run it through a good scanner, then see #1 and #2 above.
    >>
    >>Have you tried searching it out at some other location. You may be able
    >>to find it packaged differently.
    >>
    >>Which level we talking here?
    >

    > The filename reads "andrew_mcgrath_return_to_colloseum.exe"

    The one I see at www.tombraiderchronicles.com is
    "andrew_mcgrath_-_return_to_colloseum" ... Note the "-"
    .... did you just spell it wrong ... or is it a bogus file meant to
    infect your machine?

    You can find it here as a ZIP ...
    http://66.139.79.232/levels/2002/1102/AndrewMcGrath-ReturnToColloseum.zip

    This is from http://www.trle.net (if you have trouble trusting the
    direct IP I got from "copy link")

    That should solve the problem. TRLE.net is, I think, the biggest and
    best site for TRLE levels.

    And, I feel I must mention that the level only garnered a 2.5 (out of
    10) from the reviews at trle.net ... usually a pretty good indication
    that the level is not all that good.

    ---
    PW
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
    > In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Paul E Kiefer Jr was heard,
    > at about 05/24/2005 06:09 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
    >>
    >> Pistol Whipped wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Paul E Kiefer Jr was
    >>> heard, at about 05/23/2005 06:00 PM, and I could have sworn it said
    >>>
    >>> Lets see reasons to package as an EXE ... I can only think of two
    >>> (maybe three):
    >>>
    >>> (1) It wants to install itself, but is so old a packaging that XP
    >>> doesn't want to let it run (could be dangerous).
    >>>
    >>> (2) Self-extracting ZIP file ... again, must be old for XP not to
    >>> recognize it, though you can try opening it with WinZip and see if
    >>> it recognizes it.
    >>>
    >>> (3) It comes prepackaged with viruses and/or spyware and they
    >>> screwed something up. Run it through a good scanner, then see #1
    >>> and #2 above. Have you tried searching it out at some other
    >>> location. You may be
    >>> able to find it packaged differently.
    >>>
    >>> Which level we talking here?
    >>

    >> The filename reads "andrew_mcgrath_return_to_colloseum.exe"
    >>

    > The one I see at www.tombraiderchronicles.com is
    > "andrew_mcgrath_-_return_to_colloseum" ... Note the "-"
    > ... did you just spell it wrong ... or is it a bogus file meant to
    > infect your machine?
    >
    > You can find it here as a ZIP ...
    > http://66.139.79.232/levels/2002/1102/AndrewMcGrath-ReturnToColloseum.zip
    >
    > This is from http://www.trle.net (if you have trouble trusting the
    > direct IP I got from "copy link")
    >
    > That should solve the problem. TRLE.net is, I think, the biggest and
    > best site for TRLE levels.
    >
    > And, I feel I must mention that the level only garnered a 2.5 (out of
    > 10) from the reviews at trle.net ... usually a pretty good indication
    > that the level is not all that good.
    >
    > ---
    > PW

    that worked fine for me PW. Zip file is good.
    mcg.

Games Video Games