WTB Today, Any Comments?

Mr Subs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

GPU: XFX HD-585X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 w/ Eyefinity

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D

Case: NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower

PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified

ODD: SAMSUNG w/ Lightscribe

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB

Monitor: ASUS VE246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 50000 :1 (ASCR) Built-in Speakers Get a free mount w/ purchase, ends 6/30

Keyboard/Mouse: Razer Lycosa/Razer Naga

Power Strip: Kensington 62668 6 Outlets Power Strip 15 Feet Cord Length

Grand Total: $1,501.44

Going to use iPC or Snow Leopard. I will be playing WoW on the Mac OS for several reasons, some are confidential ;) . Anyway, for now the computer will be primarily used for WoW. Any suggestions on different Mac OSs will be greatly appreciated.

Of course, please comment, on anything.

Thank you,
Evan

P.S. Speakers are sold out right now, and I know they suck, but they light up. Please don't comment or make fun of me and my s****y speakers. I might be combing them with good ones later fyi.

Speakers: LOGISYS Computer SP6006CL 40 Watts RMS 2.1 Multimedia Clear Speakers w/Blue LEDs

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Just realize that if you ever want to Xfire the 5850 you will be restricted by your Power Supply.

Basically what Im saying is, I would get a 650W PSU so that if you ever decided to add another graphics card you wouldnt have to replace the PSU as well.

Mr Subs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
This is all great advice. Can I get some more input on Ubrales suggestion to buy 2 additional hard drives. Seems like a great idea, but maybe just slightly overkill. Could I just get the external one and use it for data files such as music and certain program files that may need a backup, and use the 500 GB for the OSs and programs. By the way, my old computer is over ten years old, and I believe I have only needed to use a system restore once if that, although, it was a dell and I undertand the external is in case I get a faulty HDD.

And how about that Corsair PSU as suggested by Jon Paul? I can't really see myself wanting to crossfire, because even if I do get a graphic intensive game, I feel like the 5850 should be able to handle it on its own.

Here's a combo I stumbled upon... Corsair 650 W & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

Wow, the tax went way up when I switched it to be shipped to my Dad's California zip code rather than where I live in MD. I'm in Cali for four weeks and I guess he wants to build it with me. Now the total is $1,621.47.

Mr Subs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Ok, can't wait to get this.

I'm goin with that combo because I get the bigger PSU and bigger HDD for $1.72 less after the mail in rebate.

Grand Total: $1,639.75

After MIR: $1,619.75

I will probably look into an external HDD at a later date.

Thanks everyone!

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
way i see it, with any of my gaming machines, every 9 months, i wipe my one hard drive that i use for that machine and reinstall Windows, if my hard drive happens to crash in the mean time and i lose data, oh well, looks like i will have to do it early. But, while we're on the subject, i have never had a hard drive crash on me so sticking to the schedule has been routine for me. I like to live dangerously...

Mr Subs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Haha, ok.

I will definetly buy a backup by the time I'm in grad school, but for now won't I be good as long as I have the OS disc. I can always use my grandma's, my cousin's (he lives with me at my grandma's, my friend's (he lives a few blocks away, I live in his basement sometimes), or even my old computer (not as convenient, it is at my mom's place in the mountains). Anyway, thats that. I ordered the parts, and am excited to learn how I can make it stand out. First, I'll have to figure out how to put it together, but I don't think that should be too hard.

If anyone knows how to do this. (thing I'm talking about is at about 2:50) Please tell me. He is rotating desktop screens which he put into the shape of a cube to separate the screens. I want to do that! I hope I can find it on the net if I don't get a comment from someone who knows.

Finally, another cool thing I wanted to do was set up an interface for the Dual OS like this.