Sign in with
Your question

Component price drops

Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2010 1:40:32 AM

Hey all. Now I realize the sub category I chose is CPUs, but this question really involves ALL compnents for a build...
So my question is this; Is it likely that there will be any substantial price cuts on components between now and mid-late December? Essentially I want to know if I build a gaming rig now for ~$1,200, will I be ripping myself off in the sense that the prices on the components I choose (set on GTX 460 1 GB to start with, will be adding another to run in SLI soon following the build, so I need SLI capable Motherboard, Power Supply, etc.) drop substantially in the next few months?
Thanks in advance for all answers and help. - JB

More about : component price drops

a c 215 à CPUs
August 24, 2010 1:45:45 AM

Do you need a new system now or not? Prices will always drop a fair amount over any 4 month window so to delay your build because prices will drop in the future is a never ending game. If you need a new system soon, watch for good deals on the parts and buy then, if you wait until prices stop dropping you will never be able to buy, so buy now and dont look back.
m
l
August 24, 2010 1:57:55 AM

hunter315 said:
Do you need a new system now or not? Prices will always drop a fair amount over any 4 month window so to delay your build because prices will drop in the future is a never ending game. If you need a new system soon, watch for good deals on the parts and buy then, if you wait until prices stop dropping you will never be able to buy, so buy now and dont look back.

Yes I need to build a brand new system from scratch, and I thank you for your insight. I realize that prices will drop over any 4 month period, the only reason I ask now in particular is that I know prices drop near the holiday season (November, December, even late October) and I also know that Intel and AMD have new processors releasing within the next 4-5 months.
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2010 3:45:50 PM

I'd like to revive this thread because I have the same inquiry.

While it is common knowledge that consumer electronics prices drop every quarter or so, I am certain that the users of this board have their fingers on the pulse of the tech landscape much moreso than I do, which is why myself and jdbceltics come to you guys with this question. For instance, yes TVs will drop, but is Nvidia going to roll out new architecture that competes with ATI? Have they already? Is AMD developing something new and exciting, or Intel announcing a future price drop?

I do know that the unveiling and development of new technologies will push older tech prices down quite a bit, so the question instead should maybe be:

Quote:
"Given current tech development trends and proposed new releases (of which I know nothing about and haven't the time to extensively research), can we expect prices on the big PC components such as CPU, GFX, and Mobo to drop significantly before the holiday season?"

There have been some good deals lately, but the problem with that is - especially for sites like NewEgg and TD - the prices will spike shortly after thereby creating an artificial market average (at the time of the search) so it makes it difficult for casual computer component buyers like myself to really develop a big picture of all of the current hardware trends. This is why I've taken the last 10 or so minutes to write this message on some old stale forum post - in search of help from those who are more educated in the matter.

Thank you kindly for any constructive feedback.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2010 4:01:20 PM

You cant predict price drops one all components on a whole. Different components drop prices at different times. Sometime nVidia may drop prices of their GPU, but that doesn't mean seeing that Corsair would drop prices of their PSU's at the same time. Every company has their own policy to cope up with the market and predict what's going to affect what.

All we can guess, is that if something new comes in the older one's will see a price drop. This is a natural trend. But then, why would anyone go for an older stuff when a brand new one is available. Albeit at a higher cost.
m
l
!