Preface: I have a dell studio 540, it came with

e7500 c2d with Intel x4500hd integrated graphics
not sure of the brand 500gb 7200 rpm hd
not sure of the brand dvdrw/cdrw drive
2gbx1 800mhz dual channel ram
350watt liteon psu
windows 7 64bit

So far I've added:
2gbx1 800mhz dual channel (total of 4gbx1)
Samsung bluray read only drive/dvd cd rw

I'm looking at putting in a gpu so I can maybe play crysis on medium. I've pretty much settled on a zotac gts250 1gb. With this I know I should upgrade the psu. Not looking at overclocking or overbuilding, building my own in a year or so, this will just be to hold me over. The psu I'm looking at is a Coolermaster extreme power plus 460w. It has 2 12v @ 18A, 3.3v @ 22A and 5v @ 25A.

Going by this article I'm trying to calculate my total power consumption- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-7.html

65w cpu
20w mobo w/ intel chipset
12w 4 memory sticks
30w harddrive
40w drive w/burner x2

167w subtotal plus Zotac's claimed 122w max for the gpu equals 289 total watts? Something about that doesn't seem right. If that's true it sounds like that coolermaster would hold me over with a huge margin of error. Is my math wrong or would consumption be that low. I know I wouldn't be running sli but that still seems off.

And one aside, if I wanted to add and extra case fan or two, would I be fine tapping into one of the molex connectors?

167w subtotal plus Zotac's claimed 122w max for the gpu equals 289 total watts? Something about that doesn't seem right.
And what's wrong with it? At peak, such a system certainly can't require more than 289 watts. Tom's tested that video card on a more powerful system and the peak in 3D was 265 watts: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-radeon,2326.html
And one aside, if I wanted to add and extra case fan or two, would I be fine tapping into one of the molex connectors?
Yes.